Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

It's impossible to watch Seinfeld

Impossible is probably not the best word but close enough.

The raping of the planet(oid) Kessel in Rebels was an unnecessary change, though.

I never thought the depiction of Kessel in the books (starting with the Jedi Academy trilogy) was particularly strong, This Kessel is an all new Kessel, not burdened by the baggage from other books, which IMO is a good thing. What I'm learning as I'm reading chronologically (and in some cases rereading) through the EU is that A) a lot of it is not very good, and B) it's a real mess if you're looking for any continuity, even ignoring the prequel/TCW/Rebels contradictions.

The raping of the planet(oid) Kessel in Rebels was an unnecessary change, though.

I never thought the depiction of Kessel in the books (starting with the Jedi Academy trilogy) was particularly strong,

It was strong enough to last...about 20 years?

Well, you and I are clearly of different opinions of the EU. It sounds like you like everything there is out there, as it must be good because it was officially approved at some point.

I dislike a large swath of the EU, and part of that swath of bad includes Kevin J Anderson's work, including the Jedi Academy trilogy which introduced/established Kessel to the EU. Don't like the writing, don't like the plotting, or the characterization, etc. Depends on the book what the issue is. I'm sure in time I'll dislike enough of the "new canon" stuff too.

Rebels only showed, like, one landing platform on Kessel - so in your headcanon you can believe that the rest of Kessel is exactly as it was in those books.

Well, you and I are clearly of different opinions of the EU. It sounds like you like everything there is out there, as it must be good because it was officially approved at some point.

I dislike a large swath of the EU, and part of that swath of bad includes Kevin J Anderson's work, including the Jedi Academy trilogy which introduced/established Kessel to the EU. Don't like the writing, don't like the plotting, or the characterization, etc. Depends on the book what the issue is. I'm sure in time I'll dislike enough of the "new canon" stuff too.

Rebels only showed, like, one landing platform on Kessel - so in your headcanon you can believe that the rest of Kessel is exactly as it was in those books.

they showed the entire planet from space in rebels.

I dont like all the EU anyway...

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully we'll see more than cheap Earthly nature settings this time (forest, trees, lakes, desert, ...). Few people realize that the world of Star Wars needs to be a lot more artificial.

Hopefully we'll see more than cheap Earthly nature settings this time (forest, trees, lakes, desert, ...). Few people realize that the world of Star Wars needs to be a lot more artificial.

Agreed. The worlds of Star Wars have always been a balance between the artificial and the natural. JJ. Abrams' fondness of that "Star Wars takes place on the frontier!" video points to the latter unfortunately.

The worlds of Star Wars have always been a balance between the artificial and the natural. JJ. Abrams' fondness of that "Star Wars takes place on the frontier!" video points to the latter unfortunately.

Has there always been a balance? In the first Star Wars movie movie, both planets were just exteriors shot on Earth, with the only "alien" thing being the architecture

In the original trilogy, the only artificial world we really saw was Bespin, and I guess Dagobah, since it was in a soundstage even though it was just trees and swamp water. Otherwise, it was African desert Tatooine, South American rainforest Yavin, Norway snowfields Hoth, California redwood forest Endor. The exotic feels were all in the architecture, set dressing, wildlife, and cast.

It wasn't until the CGIed sequels that things got really heavy - massive cityscape planet, planet completely covered in water, fungus planet, etc. And even then, planets like Geonosis and Naboo were pretty earthlike.

(also, we don't know what Abrams has in store outside of 11 brief shots from the movie, but I bet there will be some exoticness to the locations that wasn't seen in the brief glimpse of sand, water, and coniferous trees).

Yeah, big duh there. I'm more interested in when it will be online, personally. Star Wars Celebration is 4/16 to 4/19, and I can't imagine they won't get a first look (unless they're still sweating away cutting a trailer until the last second).

Did anybody see the Teaser in theaters? I saw it countless times online, but even though I went to pretty much every big movie between November and now, and quite a few smaller ones, I never saw it on the big screen.

I agree Mike.

The woods of Canada are still just woods and grasslands and mountains. I guess the artificial lovers want more fantastic man built structures like a Death Star and gas mine. I would just like a healthy amount of space battles.

I never caught it in the theater, no. But I don't make it out to the theaters as often as I'd like anymore

Why don't they just shoot in the woods of Canada? Worked for every planet on Stargate SG-1.

Yikes! Stargate! The worst looking sci-fi show ever. The trees scream "We have no budget but our audience doesn't have any taste anyway so we can get away with it."

There's a HUGE SPOILER going around now. If you discuss the spoiler, please use tags too!

LAST CHANCE!

rumor has it Han Solo dies in the film, murdered by Adam Driver's character, while biding time for others to escape, a la Obi-Wan in the original Star Wars

source: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-7-Biggest-Spoiler-Yet-Just-Hit-Internet-69843.html

Regarding this, has anybody commented on how the name "Kylo Ren" is sort of an inversion of "Han Solo"...maybe a stretch, but it would make sense if the rumors that those two characters are somehow linked turn out to be true.

aarh..must resist

Yeah, big duh there. I'm more interested in when it will be online, personally.

Probably the same day as it's shown in theaters

I think its very likely that the next trailer will feature music Williams recorded in November that wasn't used for the first teaser.

It's possibly JJ cut both trailers back then, and they've been working on the special effects on this one since finishing the special effects in the first one.

Is anyone going to the Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim, CA next week? I hope a recording of this event, Restored Music from ESB, ends up on YouTube.

Restored Music from The Empire Strikes Back with David Collins

Thu. April 16| 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM | Digital Stage – Sponsored By RealD

Take a deeper look at the iconic music of Star Wars as David Collins reveals story connections and hidden musical secrets within John Williams' iconic film scores. And for the first time ever, watch scenes from The Empire Strikes Back with the original music restored!

Agreed. The worlds of Star Wars have always been a balance between the artificial and the natural. JJ. Abrams' fondness of that "Star Wars takes place on the frontier!" video points to the latter unfortunately.

An antidote to the atrocious looks of the prequels are highly welcome.

Infinitely? Why is that a requirement? These new films take place thirty years after the OT, which is basically the same as taking place thirty years before the OT: a generation removed.

That artwork looks like the cover art to paperback EU books that came out in the 90s more than it does anything from the films proper.

At least it looks like it exists within the same universe. The prequels may as well have been an entirely different film series they were so radically different in style, appearance and quality.

Too clean, crisp, sharp, plastic and ... awful looking. Not unlike the difference between LOTR and TH trilogies. Switching from film to digital didn't help either situation.