Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Not sure you should examine a silly joke quite so seriously.

On 4/6/2016 at 7:24 AM, Stefancos said:

Star Wars on Netflix? Doubtful 

Netflix has the rights to stream The Force Awakens in Canada, but Starz! has pay-TV rights in the United States (Starz had an licensing deal with Disney that expired; TFA was the last film under that deal). Netflix has U.S. streaming rights to new Disney titles starting this year.

Oh, did anyone see this? I laughed pretty hard at this one.

On 07/04/2016 at 7:57 PM, Disco Stu said:

Not sure you should examine a silly joke quite so seriously.

I just don't find it very funny. The joke in this meme is like something out of nineties Mel Brooks movie. 

On 4/7/2016 at 2:55 PM, Quintus said:

Why would Luke only now say he wants his decomposed dismembered hand back? 

Why are you assuming the midichlorians  in his hand permit it to decay in the first place? 

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

I just don't find it very funny. The joke in this meme is like something out of nineties Mel Brooks movie. 

Of course. It's the "lend me your ears" line from Men in Tights. 

I'm satisfied that JJ's movie has made Luke's father's lightsaber the important object.  After all, the comics decided to clone a set of evil Luke Skywalkers from his severed hand, a cliche plot point impossible to show at this point in Mark Hamil's life. 

46 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Men in Tights always used to be my "worst movie I've ever ever seen" default answer until I watched Kill Bill 2. Did Attack of the Clones come out after that? 

Kill Bill 2 is amazing. 

22 hours ago, Woj said:

I'm satisfied that JJ's movie has made Luke's father's lightsaber the important object.  After all, the comics decided to clone a set of evil Luke Skywalkers from his severed hand, a cliche plot point impossible to show at this point in Mark Hamil's life. 

It's neat that it spans all 3 trilogies. Wish Lucas had made more of a point of Anakin creating it, rather than having it just appear at some unknown point between II and III.

It's assumed that Jedi create their own at some point in their training, but it's never shown onscreen. Luke created his second just prior to giving it to Artoo to get it past Jabba's security. This is portrayed in the radio drama but not the film, though Vader mentions it. Of course, I doubt the Jedi younglings built the tiny sabers they used with remotes. 

In other words, I don't really know. 

Well if the next film features Luke on a quest to find the origins of the Jedi, I'd be surprised if they didn't finally explore lightsaber crystala. Rey needs to build her own at some point, and the film takes place immediately after VII.

Unless Luke still has his green saber from ROTJ and Rey will inherit Anakin's? It would be cool to see a new color though, orange or yellow would be awesome! Maybe even purple with sparkling pink polka dots.

24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why would a Jedi not simply be issued a light saber?

Right. He probably is, at first. Then later he gets to build one, a better one. Customize it. If you know how to build it, you can repair it. 

Anakin's first was green and second was blue. The Jedi likely had warehouses of lightsabers and parts to get or build these. But Luke would have needed to scavenge the parts for his green saber, once the Jedi purge happened. The radio drama has him returning to Ben's hut for the parts. 

Not sure if anybody posted this but here is the Abridged Script of The Force Awakens. I used to visit this website a lot back in the day but not visited in many years.

My favourite bit:

MARK HAMILL

Oh goody, the Falcon! Is Harrison here? Is it time for our big emotional reunion which the fans have been looking forward to ever since this movie was announced?

DAISY RIDLEY

Ermm... hey look, I bet you'll be happy to see this... it's your old lightsaber!

MARK HAMILL

Oh cool, yeah my father used that to murder like 100 children.

DAISY RIDLEY

Wait, what?

END

Karol

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 9:07 AM, crumbs said:

Wish Lucas had made more of a point of Anakin creating it, rather than having it just appear at some unknown point between II and III.

There was too much other good stuff that couldn't get cut.  Sorry.

As seen on the Canon CLONE WARS cartoons, younglings take a quest to search for their crystals and build a lightsaber a part of their training. The little jedi seen on AOTC are using training sabers that supposedly are not built by them. And they are short so i doubt they can use them as adults. The crystal is attuned to each Jedi too.

Also in the REBELS cartoons, ezra makes his own lightsaber too.

Of course, someone in the temple would make spare lightabers for anyone to use in needed situations. (ie as we see in the AOTC arena when they give them to anakin and obi wan.

Luke makes his own lightsaber as is said by darth vader and is seen in the deleted scene of the beginning of the film.

""I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your training is now complete."

Seems like an important Jedi rite of passage to me, even if you don't consider the other canon evidence about it.

This might have been pointed out by some nerd before, but when the Starkiller blows up the Republic capital planet, how is it they're able to see it in "real time" on Maz's planet? Wouldn't the light take maybe years or even centuries to reach Maz's planet? Is this Wyle E. Coyote logic?

19 minutes ago, Drax said:

This might have been pointed out by some nerd before, but when the Starkiller blows up the Republic capital planet, how is it they're able to see it in "real time" on Maz's planet? Wouldn't the light take maybe years or even centuries to reach Maz's planet? Is this Wyle E. Coyote logic?

Maz's planet happens to be right next to the Hosnian star system. Like just in the neighbourhood. They used to wave to each other each morning before going to work Maz and the Hosnians. It's hard to lose such a good neighbour.

Also dramatic movie logic outweighs the needs of the many critical viewers.

38 minutes ago, Drax said:

So it was a giant lens flare cannon that can be seen anywhere in the galaxy in real time.

Does spacetime exist in Star Wars?

It's a fairytale soap opera. It doesn't have time for spacetime!

8 hours ago, Drax said:

Did you question this logic when it came to hologram communication in real-time?

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

It's a fairytale soap opera. It doesn't have time for spacetime!

Or the correct usage or parsecs for that matter!

3 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Did you question this logic when it came to hologram communication in real-time?

Star Trek and Stargate tended to use some convoluted technobabble to excuse this. But that Starkiller laser people saw with their own eyes in the sky in real time. Try explaining that!

1 minute ago, Drax said:

Star Trek and Stargate tended to use some convoluted technobabble to excuse this. But that Starkiller laser people saw with their own eyes in the sky in real time. Try explaining that!

I'll give it a shot. Just because the movie was cutting back and forth between Starkiller Base and Maz's castle does not necessarily mean those events were happening simultaneously?  I have no idea if this idea can be supported and I really don't think this is something worth caring about.

36 minutes ago, Drax said:

So in the SW universe, light travels a million times faster than in the real world? Does 2+2=5 in a galaxy far, far away too?

Maybe!  We have yet to see space-math!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I'll give it a shot. Just because the movie was cutting back and forth between Starkiller Base and Maz's castle does not necessarily mean those events were happening simultaneously?  I have no idea if this idea can be supported and I really don't think this is something worth caring about.

No, the events were happening at the same time. Finn saw the weapon beam and got other people to stop and watch too. The Resistance knew they couldn't directly attack Starkiller or save the Hosnians, so they regrouped at their base for a counterattack. 

Is it physically possible? No, but in a long film series with plenty of physically impossible technologies and moments, it fits. 

He's referring to the ship scene dropping Rey off on Jakku in the flashback/vision thing.  Some fans thought the ship in that looked a lot like some ship he had in some comic