Williams conducting Force Awakens cues shown on 60 Minutes (UPDATE: Second Video now online)

Lewya

Please be satire. Please be satire. Please be satire.

Is this proof that some people are starting to consider purely orchestral music as 'lesser'?

That quote reminds me of the infamous line from Rick McCallum on the Star Wars Prequels:

"Everything is so dense. There's so much going on."

I think there's a fine line between dense and lush, and orchestral pieces tend to lean towards the latter.

Will there be a way to watch the episode or at least the Williams segment if we miss it Sunday night? I don't have a DVR and I'm not subscribing to CBS All Access for one clip.

From The Jedi Council Boards...

I still prefer all of the "modern" arrangements heard during all of the trailers to any of the confirmed Williams snippets. His stuff just doesn't have the density of sound I've come to prefer over the years. The music in the most recent Chinese trailer was especially top notch. It didn't really sound like Williams tho :(

The music for the trailers is not dense. Is loud and overblown, but the level of density is minimum, the orchestra playing unisono with almost no harmonic support, and over cliché percussion. Each to his own, as long as Disney doesn't start to take this kind of statements too seriously.

I loved the video! I'm trying to download it. The score seems promising, despite the few material we are getting. :)

unlike the ABC special TV spot?

(I still have a doubt it's an actual theme from TFA)

It's a little more difficult to fully appreciate that one because it's so brief and you have a lot of other noises thrown into the mix. Not to speak for Mr. Big or anything. Just my 2 cents.

I'm 41 and grew up on all the Williams classics and listen to them regularly still. However I have come to love Zimmerism in my scores. Williams stuff anymore just sounds weak compared to the bass power of Zimmer and his disciples. Hopefully JJ requested some modifications to the score. He cut the trailer which used the new arrangements so obviously he likes it as well. Fingers crossed.

More from the same person. I seriously hope this clown is joking.

From The Jedi Council Boards...

I still prefer all of the "modern" arrangements heard during all of the trailers to any of the confirmed Williams snippets. His stuff just doesn't have the density of sound I've come to prefer over the years. The music in the most recent Chinese trailer was especially top notch. It didn't really sound like Williams tho :(

I just saw and heard the Chinese trailer. Yikes to the "music" in that one.

I'm 41 and grew up on all the Williams classics and listen to them regularly still. However I have come to love Zimmerism in my scores. Williams stuff anymore just sounds weak compared to the bass power of Zimmer and his disciples. Hopefully JJ requested some modifications to the score. He cut the trailer which used the new arrangements so obviously he likes it as well. Fingers crossed.

I seriously hope this clown is joking.

Keep dreaming. It's obvious Abrams was loving what he heard. All these trailers with different kinds of music is just Disney's way to lure in as many people as possible to see the film. They started with the "nostalgia" crowd earlier in the year and now they've been working on the "modern" crowd. It's all business.

There's no question that Williams's sound has become quite dated and lends itself poorly to the exigencies of modern cinema, but given that The Force Awakens functions primarily as a nostalgic exercise, it's altogether appropriate that Kennedy and Abrams went with Williams.

After this clip, I don't really feel the need for samples of the OST.

I would love to have some anyways, but only because of my gluttonous nature when it comes to Williams' music.

There's no question that Williams's sound has become quite dated and lends itself poorly to the exigencies of modern cinema, but given that The Force Awakens functions primarily as a nostalgic exercise, it's altogether appropriate that Kennedy and Abrams went with Williams.

The original Star Wars was also a nostalgic exercise, that's why they requested an old fashioned symphonic score in the first place. By now, I think this is a trademark of these movies, and it is difficult to get any trademark element these days. If they don't safeguard this, then all the new Star Wars films will be no different than any mass-produced blockbuster, and surely the most avid Star Wars fan will get tired of this.

Well that was cool! One week to go folks! (Or less if you have 16th of December release for the film). :)

Well that was cool! One week to go folks! (Or less if you have 16th of December release for the film). :)

You lucky European bastards!

The trumpets on that second section of Luke's Theme sounded a little off, like they'd hit a bad note. That plagued the trumpets in KOTCS too so hopefully it isn't the film take.

You can definitely hear the drier sound though. It's an unusual scoring stage for Williams, isn't it? Looks dated and confined for a score of this scale and calibre.

Sony is pretty much exclusively where he records in LA... it's a huge room. You're hearing shitty TV mic audio, not what's actually being recorded.

Yeah, I was gonna say, that's probably just some mic they attached to the camera, getting one mono vantage point, not the complex mastering we are accustomed to.

I'm just surprised they left the projector off and JJ had to tell Williams about a musical extension. Is this for secrecy purposes or is JJ editing the film to the music?