Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

It definitely sounds like he was going for the OT sound. 

8 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It's a bit harsh to judge him on such a short clip but when you compare it to the "Follow Me" material that was premiered in the TFA clip.... 

I was hooked by the Finn's theme ever since that clip, it was magical. Yeah, maybe this is the clip with the unexciting music in it, just luck of the draw for which clip they decided to release first.

nice :)

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

with a splash of Shadows of the Empire mixed in

Exactly ! Having heard some cues of shadow of the empire in concert recently, that clip reminded me of it :)

Nice. Very Giacchino, yet definitely has the original trilogy sound to it. Those frantic strings and brass as she takes out the troopers are classic Williams technique.

So damn excited for this score!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Music sounds pretty cool IMHO, definitely has that OT sound (thanks Pope!) with a splash of Shadows of the Empire mixed in.  No point getting too forensic over a 40 second clip.

the music sounded too loud compared to the SFX...not a bad thing but it seems strange.

Pope worked in this film?

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Pope worked in this film?

He knew what MG was writing but it's anyone's guess if he stayed onboard after Desplat's 'departure':

Peter Briggs It could be a really great score, let's be charitable. He knocked it out of the ballpark with the first Trek. And he did a great replication of Barry on "Incredibles". Maybe he'll dig into his toolkit and pull out a great Williams sound. I hope.

Conrad Pope It WILL be! I think the music will surprise everyone in the end--- and not just because MG is writing it. Damn those NDAs!

Just now, crumbs said:

I had not read that???

Amazing news, that is what i wanted! And what giacchino needed!

I had only read that Williams ross was working as orchestrator, in iMBD...

5 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I had not read that???

Amazing news, that is what i wanted! And what giacchino needed!

I'm not sure if Pope had any contribution to Giacchino's score, but he was definitely orchestrating Desplat's.

Would be great to know if the veteran who orchestrated on Williams' three prequel scores came onboard as an orchestrator for Giacchino's score. Seems like a no-brainer, doesn't it? :P

or to remain onboard :P

But one would think pope would go to the next desplat work (but maybe he could still do both)

But maybe Pope was refering to William Ross which was TFA orchestrator and conductor... (maybe he has conducted this one too)

11 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

or to remain onboard :P

But one would think pope would go to the next desplat work (but maybe he could still do both)

But maybe Pope was refering to William Ross which was TFA orchestrator and conductor... (maybe he has conducted this one too)

People talk in the industry. There'd be plenty in the music department at Disney who worked on both versions of the score, and they'd all talk about what MG was writing.

Interestingly, so far as I know Pope had nothing to do with The Force Awakens despite doing all three prequels. We all know Williams basically orchestrates his own music anyway, but perhaps he literally orchestrated most of TFA himself due to the "luxurious" schedule. The only orchestrator for TFA listed on iMDB is William Ross, who conducted several action cues when Williams couldn't.

Would be nice to see Pope return for Episode VIII; he's an excellent conductor as well. Guess it depends what schedule JW gets next time?

2 hours ago, RPurton said:

It definitely sounds like he was going for the OT sound. 

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Music sounds pretty cool IMHO, definitely has that OT sound with a splash of Shadows of the Empire mixed in.

33 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Nice. Very Giacchino, yet definitely has the original trilogy sound to it. Those frantic strings and brass as she takes out the troopers are classic Williams technique.

Hate to be a downer, but sorry, don't hear it at all. Sounds nothing like Williams or the OT—no direction or development to the material. Sounds just standard Giacchino, but with even more copy/paste. It's almost as if they only gave him like four weeks to write the score or something.

To me, it does, however, sound vaguely like Call of Duty—which is basically what I was hoping he'd do, instead of trying to emulate Williams (wasn't a fan of Jurassic World). So there's that. Yay?

Honestly, that clip has entirely killed all of my enthusiasm for this movie. I want to be excited, but I just can't right now.

(I reserve the right to change my mind.)

7 minutes ago, aviazn said:

Honestly, that clip has entirely killed all of my enthusiasm for this movie. I want to be excited, but I just can't right now.

(I reserve the right to change my mind.)

I was never really excited for this film. The only thing going for it for me is the score...

Finally, the only things exciting in this movie are the cameos...

The old JW themes, the Darth Vader cameo, the Mon Mothma cameo, Bail Organa... what else... maybe R2?

Here's the original poster of Rogue One:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « money cash »

Watching this clip I thought : the film was almost picture locked when Gia worked on it, right ? So maybe it will feel like the music fits perfectly in every scenes. This is something absent from many major blockbusters. The last one was TFA. And it was cool.

Are you joking?  TFA was continuously and heavily edited after Williams began scoring it.  Many of his compositions are chopped up and moved around in the final film.

But yes, none of that is certainly really noticeable when watching - only when you analyze.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Are you joking?  TFA was continuously and heavily edited after Williams began scoring it.  Many of his compositions are chopped up and moved around in the final film.

But yes, none of that is certainly really noticeable when watching - only when you analyze.

I know that, but Williams Had time to rewrite and adapt. And at the end of the day, the score fits quite well. Whereas numerous blockbuster have generic music thrown in the background for no reason. Williams music in TFA was really close to the editing of scenes and matched both the emotion and what happened on screen. For exemple I really like how the music is mickey mousing the stormtroopers death when the resistance arrives in maz planet. (I'm not saying I want mickeymousing at every turns :P)

https://youtu.be/jHtiEi52KPY?t=59s

0:59 - 1:07

Holy crap. I could have just about jumped through the roof when I saw this this morning. Unfortunately, I'm at school and won't be able to watch until I get home, but wow ... can't believe we're getting new SW music.

So excited to hear some of Gia's work!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I guess that was the real cover art, then.  I doubt Amazon would put up a fake.

What was that JW cover which Sandor made and in ended up on Amazon? The War Horse? Tintin? Lincoln?