Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

In this case, the embargo will only last a day, given it'll be released on the 14th in a few countries (including Norway).

Yup, that's right. And that's why I think it's so insane. Had it been a week in advance, I might have understood it, but a day?!

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yup, that's right. And that's why I think it's so insane. Had it been a week in advance, I might have understood it, but a day?!

Well, you can tell us the next day then! ;)

What was up with your info on TFA, though -- were you not under an embargo then? 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

You can always use a fake account on a different computer and no one will ever know....

6 hours ago, king mark said:

Here's my prediction:

This score will get a deluxe 2 c.d expanded release long before JW's prequel scores and TFA.

The main reason is that Johnny is not too keen on releasing these 2 CD sets in the first place, unlike many other composers, who will jump at the chance.

13 hours ago, curlytoot said:

The string motif at 0:15 is pretty Williams-esque, IMO. This score is sounding better and better with each new clip!

It does! I like it! Shades of Taking out the Railgun. My enthusiasm level: recovering.

First review (no, Jay, no source is given): 

Giacchino's score is a bit jarring at first because he doesn't use the Star Wars fanfare at all. We do get hints of themes we recognize (like when we first see Yavin 4), but mostly it's him bringing his all without leaning much on the iconic themes. Bold choice. I'm not 100% sure if it'll gel perfectly as a Star Wars movie without those themes used in abundance, but I can tell you that Giacchino's score, the little bit of it I heard anyway, will be up to his high standards.

Since  don't find his standards high musically (at all), but also have zero interest in the score i guess this will delight those that need their SW fix anyway and anger all the die-hard fans expecting musical pole vaulting.

How about those just wanting to hear some proper, musically interesting material? Not much hope for us then?

You don't have a huge lobby nowadays. If it's big and orchestral, it will suffice. But maybe, MAYBE, with a bit of help he actually got rid of all those simple chords and has written a few musically developed cues? Who knows...

If this score is spared of another 4 chord tune, anchored by sparse piano renderings, I'll count that as a blessing. I guess we can only rely on the small victories these days!

Focus on that quote: "The little bit of it I heard"... he hasn't heard the whole thing, he hasn't even mentioned if he's heard all of the CD.

8 hours ago, Will said:

Well, you can tell us the next day then! ;)

What was up with your info on TFA, though -- were you not under an embargo then? 

Yes, but I didn't spoil any story elements, and that's the main gist of the embargo. Mostly general, vague remarks.

I doubt Gia will include much Williams material on the OST. He didn't include some of the prominent references from Jurassic World on the soundtrack (the old Visitor Centre cue, for starters).

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So, some random guy tells us Djiatchino's score is a bit jarring because he doesn't use the Star Wars fanfare at all, nor any of the others iconic themes much, and then he precises he's heard only a little bit of it, and suddenly we assume it's a good assessment of the score and worth mentioning? Come on, pub, you're worth better than that!

I don't give a shit (sith?) i just do that for you nuts...

I doubt Cappuccino would even reference the Main Title; JW smartly relegated it back to Luke's Theme at that stage in the musical timeline (see Revenge of the Sith's final scenes).

I only expect the Imperial March, Force Theme, Rebel Fanfare and Imperial Motif from ANH. Maybe Leia's Theme or the Emperor's Themes if they appear in some form (blasphemous if McDiarmid doesn't have a cameo).

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Luke's theme is used for the falcon and han and chewbacca in TFA.

Giacchino can and should use it.

Where is Luke's Theme used in these instances? I only remember the Rebel Fanfare being associated with either in TFA. 

Still though, the entire plot of TFA revolves around finding Luke, so it's appropriate.

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Do you think there wont be a title crawl like in the clone wars?

Just the star wars logo and then it goes into another direccion...

No title crawl, just the "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...." text, then it goes in another direction.

Spoiler
Edwards was asked about how the film opens and he confirmed there would be no opening crawl, saying,
Q: We all know the opening crawl. Will we see this crawl at the beginning of Rogue One?

A: There is no opening crawl. But we have  a prologue at the beginning of our movie that's set like 15 years before the actual film begins and that's our set up for our film. Our film comes from the text of Star Wars and so if we keep putting text it might go on forever, which maybe is not a bad thing, but as a stand alone movie they wanted to differentiate it from the rest of the saga.  

Q: Was that not frustrating?

A: When I first heard the crawl might be gone, I was like "Aww". But the more we work on Star Wars the more the honeymoon goes away and the more you try to make as different as possible.  Your temptation as a film maker is to try and take all the characters and put them all in your movie and then you have a 10 hour film so you have to start being selective.  You're like ok these are the people and the characters that are required for our particular story.  And that's the hardest part of making a film is letting go because there's too much, the universe is too rich.  So many possibillities.  And it's difficult as a fan to limit yourself.

About the crawl that's what Edwards said on French TV. 

EDIT : Transcription comes from here http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/12/gareth-edwards-confirms-no-opening.html . But I was actually watching TV when this aired so I can confirm that this was his response ;) Careful if you watch the video, it's a bit "spoilery" (is that even a word ? :P ) .

The film starts with "a long time ago...", jumps to a prologue, there's a title card which apparently at least hints at the Main Theme of it isn't a full reworking of it, and then we jump into the film proper. we also get location subtitles for some reason. Apparently some of the planets might be a bit similar and some people were a little too dumb to differentiate between Tatooine and Geonosis in AotC.

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

The film starts with "a long time ago...", jumps to a prologue, there's a title card which apparently at least hints at the Main Theme of it isn't a full reworking of it, and then we jump into the film proper. we also get location subtitles for some reason. Apparently some of the planets might be a bit similar and some people were a little too dumb to differentiate between Tatooine and Geonosis in AotC.

More probably its just to make it look more like a war film.

But if confussion is the thing, the culprit is TFA. With it's no-coruscant full city capital of the republic planet and its no-yavin jungle rebel base planet...

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

More probably its just to make it look more like a war film.

But if confussion is the thing, the culprit is TFA. With it's no-coruscant full city capital of the republic planet and its no-yavin jungle rebel base planet...

That was down to JJ's lack of imagination more than anything else. 

"Lets create new planets that look like Tatooine, Hoth combined with the Death Star,, Coruscant, Endor combined with Yavin. Fans will love it!" - visionary director JJ Abrams. 

2 hours ago, saulocf said:

Could the tracklist contain spoilers? That would explain why they are by releasing it..

Death Star's Noble End

Tarkin's Demise

Darth Vader Reveals he's Luke Skywalker's Father

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Is JJ's lack of imagination to blame, or Disney's desire to turn Episode VII into a nostalgia ride? I wonder...

Going by JJ's other films I'm willing to blame him. I think if you go through the concept art it was his decisions to make things more and more like the OT. 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Is JJ's lack of imagination to blame, or Disney's desire to turn Episode VII into a nostalgia ride? I wonder...

There are only so many locations on planet Earth, that's the limiting factor to imagination unless you want your actors interacting with blue screens and green screens. 

Is that what you want @BloodBoal? Because you can go watch the prequels. Or the fucking Hobbit.