What are your favorite shots in a movie?

John

21 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Wes Anderson is a huge Kubrick fan. So is Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg, et cetera.

Plenty of Spielberg-type staring at things before they're shown shots in Shining, too.

Obviously many good directors are Kubrick fans. More interesting for me was reading that Kubrick was a big Eraserhead fan and that it was an influence for him when he did Shining. I really should catch up and watch that.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/05/2023 at 6:02 PM, Schilkeman said:

The score is great in this scene as well.

Unfortunately, this scene is really funny. When the music rises and is suddenly interrupted, everybody laughed in the cinema. You really feel, everyone involved in making this, the costume designers, the set designers, the camera man, the lighters, John Williams, everyone tried so hard and gave the best they could to make that the romance it was supposed to be. But they are all doomed by script, acting and direction.

25 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But they are all doomed by script, acting and direction.

I never had a problem with any of these elements. I can see how someone might, but it never bothered me. And despite the climate on these boards for the prequels, we are a not insignificant portion of the fandom who appreciates these films.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA is an absolutely beautiful film, to look at.

It's also a good film, in its own right :)

It's a good film, but as far as classy stylish design goes, it's second to none.

Just one shot of many unforgettable scenes from this masterpiece. 

“It’s too bad she won’t live. But then again, who does?”

BLADE RUNNER is a perfect film.

IMG_9574.gif

47 minutes ago, JTW said:

Just one shot of many unforgettable scenes from this masterpiece. 

“It’s too bad she won’t live. But then again, who does?”

BLADE RUNNER is a perfect film.

IMG_9574.gif

And not one shot even close to this in 2049, a film I can't decide is good without the imagery, or bad without the imagery. 

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's good

Fixed.

BR2049 is a much better movie than people give it credit for. Sure, it's not as good as the original... But then again, who is? ;)

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Fixed.

BR2049 is a much better movie than people give it credit for. Sure, it's not as good as the original... But then again, who is? ;)

BR2049 is the most amazing movie that I had almost forgotten by the time I got to my car. Which is really baffling to me. By all measures I can think of it was an amazing film and a worthy sequel to Blade Runner. But it just didn't stick with me. Very weird.

It is by no accounts a bad movie. And I'm waiting for Dave Bautista to do something that cool again.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Fixed.

i enjoy it more than the original. it feels more relevant.

however, i think the original has a cooler ending, assuming it ends at the elevator and with no sequel in mind. I also don't like Jared Leto in it (or anything).

it's a bit confusing because, for all the attempts in cyberpunk to borrow from noir (which Blade Runner didn't invent), it's an outdated genre and it feels off from the start most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Is it me, or are there tons of split diopter shots, in MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE?

Most of the ones I've posted are split diopters, except I supposer for the Cruise/Reno one, though that looks suspicious, too. Maybe a tilt shift lens? Or just a very small aperture?

2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

There's a dozen of them spreads around the movie so yeah that's kinda of a lot, but Marian did selected the most interesting ones though

I noticed quite a few of them while watching the film and then posted the ones that I found by googling for split diopters. I don't recall now if there were any important ones that were missing.

…oh yes, there was at least one I wanted the post and couldn't find: When the Langley computer room guy comes back and finds the knife stuck to the desk. Blink-and-you'll-miss-it short, but very effective.

On 10/3/2023 at 7:16 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I really should catch up and watch that.

Me too, I’ve been preparing to watch it for more than a decade now. Not a big fan of Lynch though. I like The Elephant Man. 

tumblr_pii4xetJdp1r3741jo5_1280.png

Couple of powerful shots in this one, but mostly not on Google.

The thing about Fallout is: Every single action sequence in it (and there are quite a few) can make a claim for being the best in the series.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Many to choose from in Barry Lyndon. Meticulously composed portraits and landscapes inspired by the paintings of the period.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Probably the most beautifully photographed colour film that I have ever seen. Every shot is achingly gorgeous.

John Alcott rules! :)

• 4 weeks later...