Jump to content
Ricard

John Williams to conduct the Vienna Philharmonic - January 18/19 2020

Recommended Posts

I regret that I missed the London meetup.

 

I hope we can all meet up for some good Austrian beer during the weekend!

 

I don’t know how or when this happened, or what emotional scar from my childhood that triggered this, but it would actually be nice to see some of you schmoes IRL... ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like the program is somewhat changed:

 

Olympic Fanfare and Theme

Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Flight to Neverland

Rey's Theme

Donnybrook Fair

Remembrances

Hedwig's Theme

Adventures on Earth

--- Intermission ---

Theme from Jurassic Park

Dartmoor, 1912

Out to Sea / Shark Cage Fugue

Marion's Theme

The Rebellion Is Reborn

Luke & Leia

Star Wars Main Theme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eitam said:

Olympic Fanfare and Theme

 

Substituting "Sound the Bells!"? Poor choice. Nothing against "Olympic Fanfare and Theme", but "Sound the Bells!" is a more unsual and refreshing choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I guess they had to choose something that Dudamel knows how to conduct.

At first I thought:

Oh no... For a moment I was under the impression that Williams will conduct everything himself.

but then:

Wait. I will get to see Gustavo Dudamel as well? :D 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't this already discussed 2 pages ago?  Or are you saying it changed again?

 

On 10/22/2019 at 5:33 AM, rough cut said:

It seems JW has updated the program for this concert in 2020 compared to  the cancelled one.

 

Newly added:

Sound the Bells

Across the Stars from “Attack of the Clones”

Donnybrook Fair from “Far and Away”

Remembrances from “Schindler’s List”

Raiders March from “Raiders of the Lost Ark”

Out to Sea / Shark Cage Fugue from “Jaws”

Love Theme from “Superman”

 

Missing:

Olympic Fanfare and Theme

Suite from "Memoirs of a Geisha"

Nimbus 2000 from "Harry Potter" 
Harry's Wondrous World from "Harry Potter"

 

No change:

The Flight to Neverland from “Hook”

Excepts from “Close Encounters of the Third Kind“

Adventures on Earth from "E.T.”

A Child’s Tale, Suite from "The Big Friendly Giant" 
Hedwig’s Theme from "Harry Potter"

The Rebellion Is Reborn from "The Last Jedi" 
Rey's Theme from "The Force Awakens" 
Main Title from "Star Wars"

 

I much prefer the updated set we’re getting in 2020. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jay said:

Wasn't this already discussed 2 pages ago?  Or are you saying it changed again?


That post compared the programme of the cancelled concert, with the initial programme of the 2020 concert. Now, the 2020 programme has been changed.

Removed:
1. Sound the Bells!
2. Across The Stars
3. Raiders March
4. A Child's Tale
5. Love Theme from Superman

Added:
1. Olympic Fanfare and Theme
2. Luke & Leia
3. Marion's Theme
4. Theme from Jurassic Park
5. Dartmoor, 1912

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Man I wonder why the program keeps changing

I suspect that at least 4 of the pieces removed

(2. Across The Stars
3. Raiders March
4. A Child's Tale
5. Love Theme from Superman)

 

have been removed at the behest of the VPO, or, if by Williams---in an anticipation of a poor response of the orchestra / concert hall directors

 

A Child's Tale for coming from a film for kids, not suitable for a concert where there will be none (at least not relatively to other potential choices; see: piece from the equally recent and much more mature War Horse)

Raiders March for associations of campiness / silliness -> replaced by Jurassic Park, which also was something that was sorely missing considering it's position in Williams' career

Superman Love Theme for similarities to Strauss that Marian has mentioned -> replaced by Marion's Theme, which doubles as a representation of Indiana Jones

Across the Stars for in turn getting too close to Tchaikovsky -> replaced by the more original Luke & Leia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rotten timing being away while this happened. I didn't bother with the membership figuring I'd miss the tickets with the unpredictable wifi here. I'll try for Thursday on the assumption there's good tickets left.

 

Can anyone confirm the exact time they go on sale on their website, with time zone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And which seating categories should I go for if I want a seat in the front seating section, front row, or front row of the balcony towards to the front of the theatre? Or are those seats basically all gone now?

 

I have to buy tickets on my phone so who knows what I'll be able to select. Do you get to choose the actual seat or is just assigned to you randomly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very disappointed to have lost the Raiders March, but it's been my lifelong dream to see JW conduct the Jurassic Park theme. I will cry tears of joy and I'm not even exaggerating.

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Rotten timing being away while this happened. I didn't bother with the membership figuring I'd miss the tickets with the unpredictable wifi here. I'll try for Thursday on the assumption there's good tickets left.

 

Can anyone confirm the exact time they go on sale on their website, with time zone?
 

8am UK time if that helps. Most decent tickets have gone, so I'd be prompt with whatever's left when it does go on sale.

 

 

12 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I have to buy tickets on my phone so who knows what I'll be able to select. Do you get to choose the actual seat or is just assigned to you randomly?

 

Both. You can choose 'best seats' which auto allocates or choose tickets on a 3d map of the venue.

16 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And which seating categories should I go for if I want a seat in the front seating section, front row, or front row of the balcony towards to the front of the theatre? Or are those seats basically all gone now?

 


I could sort you one if you want (I have a membership)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And which seating categories should I go for if I want a seat in the front seating section, front row, or front row of the balcony towards to the front of the theatre? Or are those seats basically all gone now?

 

I have to buy tickets on my phone so who knows what I'll be able to select. Do you get to choose the actual seat or is just assigned to you randomly?


You can get a seat assigned to yourself automatically, according to your chosen price category, which is actually the default option. In order to pick your own seat, you have to click on the "3D view" button when you want to buy tickets, which shows you a view of the hall, with available areas that you can pick, and then actual seats within those areas.

For the 18th, this is what is available, unless they've reserved some seats for the general sale:image.png

image.png

For the concert on the 19th, you have more options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, moz_1983 said:

Very disappointed to have lost the Raiders March


There will probably be an encore, and the Raiders March could re-appear there. They played that as an encore during the LSO concert at RAH last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Biodome said:


There will probably be an encore, and the Raiders March could re-appear there. They played that as an encore during the LSO concert at RAH last year.

 

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD. I'm just unbelievably excited about this (again). I'm trying to temper my expectations following last year but I can't. The guy's clearly absolutely determined to do this before he retires! This is my  one and only chance :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Love Theme from Superman paraphrases Strauss, yes, but I think that is a strength of the piece.  I could see why John chose to omit it, though.    

 

JP is a good choice, considering that it was recently played by the Brits.

 

Across The Stars will be missed, but Luke and Leia is the stronger symphonic composition.

 

Very glad that a War Horse piece was added in.

 

Sound The Bells is nice, but the Olympic Fanfare and Theme is essential.  I do hope the original is programmed.

 

I know John's schedule is probably too tight for it, but a special concert overture written for the occasion would have been most fitting.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, moz_1983 said:

 

OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD. I'm just unbelievably excited about this (again). I'm trying to temper my expectations following last year but I can't. The guy's clearly absolutely determined to do this before he retires! This is my  one and only chance :unsure:


I sympathise with you on this! I have never seen Williams live, and last year was the closest that I ever got to experiencing that. I live in Europe, and I don't think I could afford going to the U.S. right now, so I can't wait for this concert, which seems like a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Biodome said:


I sympathise with you on this! I have never seen Williams live, and last year was the closest that I ever got to experiencing that. I live in Europe, and I don't think I could afford going to the U.S. right now, so I can't wait for this concert, which seems like a once-in-a-lifetime chance.

 

I feel the same, and to have JW conducting at the RAH - just four miles from my flat, and where I've seen loads of concerts/gigs over the years - was unthinkable last year! 

 

So I'm also grabbing this Vienna trip with both hands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lemoncurd said:

I bought two tickets for Sunday, but might need only one. If my dad won't come with me I'll let you guys know :) Should be nice to meet many of you. 

 

FYI I will go by train from Berlin. 

I also bought two standing tickets for Saturday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For everyone who's a Musikverein member, apparently you can buy additional tickets today (I reached the limit yesterday with 4 per concert, but was able to buy another ticket today).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Remco said:

Mutter is free, they’re playing pieces from their album, and she has a concert with the VPO earlier that month.... We’ll have to wait until official confirmation but I expect her to be there!

She has a concert on the 21st in the U.S., but I suppose she could also appear in Vienna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Remco said:

Mutter is free, they’re playing pieces from their album, and she has a concert with the VPO earlier that month.... We’ll have to wait until official confirmation but I expect her to be there!

I'm sure she wouldn't miss such a chance. I'm hoping to hear her version of Hedwig's theme and Rey's theme. :)

 

Hey, maybe he'll play something from the new SW film as an encore. :)

 

Karol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm sure she wouldn't miss such a chance. I'm hoping to hear her version of Hedwig's theme and Rey's theme. :)

 

Hey, maybe he'll play something from the new SW film as an encore. :)

 

Karol

 

Dearly hoping for both of those things!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

A Child's Tale for coming from a film for kids, not suitable for a concert where there will be none (at least not relatively to other potential choices; see: piece from the equally recent and much more mature War Horse)

 

I'm only half sorry to see that go, since I already heard it in the LSO concert, but I would have loved to hear it again by the Philharmoniker nonetheless. As far as orchestral colours go, it's a brilliant piece.

 

4 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Raiders March for associations of campiness / silliness -> replaced by Jurassic Park, which also was something that was sorely missing considering it's position in Williams' career

 

I very much expect it to reappear as an encore.

 

4 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Superman Love Theme for similarities to Strauss that Marian has mentioned -> replaced by Marion's Theme, which doubles as a representation of Indiana Jones

 

It's not one of my favourites, but I'm still sad they're dropping it, because 1) whenever Williams puts something on a programme he hasn't played in years, there's a good chance he's done a new arrangement of it and 2) if not, it surely would have been fun for the Wiener horns.

 

4 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Across the Stars for in turn getting too close to Tchaikovsky -> replaced by the more original Luke & Leia

 

Apparently replaced by Rey's Theme, which was originally listed at the end of the programme but now has been moved to what clearly looks like the solo violin section. I could do without Luke and Leia though, especially since I'm sure it's going to be the awkward shorted version.

 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Man I wonder why the program keeps changing

 

I wonder who's responsible for publishing it. I mean, replacing Olympic Fanfare with Sound the Bells isn't something someone does without giving it a lot of thought, so why go back to the fanfare just a few days later? That said, I'm sad we won't get Bells, but more than that I'm sure the fanfare will sound fantastic.

 

And in any case, I'm done with getting too hyped about the programme. Who knows how much more they're going to change until January.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Hey, maybe he'll play something from the new SW film as an encore. :)

 

I'd rather expect that. How could Williams skip his one chance to conduct the Philharmoniker in a world premiere?

 

I suppose likely candidates for the encores are the Raider's March, the Imperial March, and something from ROTS. Though he could also want to squeeze in Yoda there, but I'd be very sad to see the Imperial March go.

 

Also, I wonder if the first half will feature a violin encore. Like The Devil's Dance (which could also mean we'll have a recording of it). Or Dracula.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Biodome said:

Removed:
1. Sound the Bells!
2. Across The Stars
3. Raiders March
4. A Child's Tale
5. Love Theme from Superman

Added:
1. Olympic Fanfare and Theme
2. Luke & Leia
3. Marion's Theme
4. Theme from Jurassic Park
5. Dartmoor, 1912

 

Very sad we lost Love Theme from Superman and Across The Stars and Raiders March...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting to see John Williams conduct an orchestra in real life. I still have a hard time believing this is something that will happen within three months from now. He could conduct Pirates of the Caribbean for all I care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Biodome said:


You can get a seat assigned to yourself automatically, according to your chosen price category, which is actually the default option. In order to pick your own seat, you have to click on the "3D view" button when you want to buy tickets, which shows you a view of the hall, with available areas that you can pick, and then actual seats within those areas.

For the 18th, this is what is available, unless they've reserved some seats for the general sale:image.png

image.png

For the concert on the 19th, you have more options.

Thats all thats left? Fuck my life...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Biodome said:


You can get a seat assigned to yourself automatically, according to your chosen price category, which is actually the default option. In order to pick your own seat, you have to click on the "3D view" button when you want to buy tickets, which shows you a view of the hall, with available areas that you can pick, and then actual seats within those areas.

For the 18th, this is what is available, unless they've reserved some seats for the general sale:image.png

image.png

For the concert on the 19th, you have more options.

 

Shit really, that's all that's left? What about the 19th?

 

Is it likely they've reserved some good seats up front for the general public?

7 hours ago, moz_1983 said:

I could sort you one if you want (I have a membership)... 

 

Based on those images above, are those the only ones available on the Saturday? Way at the back and some halfway down off to the side?

 

Do you know which seating categories they correspond to? Sorry for all the questions. Just a little tricky working out whether to take the plunge on this considering the distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Shit really, that's all that's left? What about the 19th?

 

The 19th is similar, but you've got some more seats to choose from in the back:

 

SmartSelect_20191024-052716_Chrome.jpg

 

I don't know why the seats have gone so fast. I too remember that last year there were some decent ones even days after the start of the general sale. It looks like the word about the concerts has spread much faster this time, and, perhaps, the coincidence with the Star Wars hype has attracted more people.

 

There is no convenient diagram for which seats correspond to which prices this time. You have to click on the seats to get a price. But the diagram from last year looks similar, so you could get an idea of what it would cost:

 

image.png.e7d39c33dd6096bcbb0538fdacb316e9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are the 59 euro blue seats right on stage so cheap? You're right there next to the orchestra looking straight at Williams!

 

Is there something blocking your view or is it just because of the acoustics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really holding out hope they reserved a lot of good seats for general public, otherwise I'll be at the mercy of any spares someone might be willing to sell me. Don't really want to fly all the way to Vienna just to sit at the back of the concert hall and squint trying to make out Williams' face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I'm really holding out hope they reserved a lot of good seats for general public, otherwise I'll be at the mercy of any spares someone might be willing to sell me. Don't really want to fly all the way to Vienna just to sit at the back of the concert hall and squint trying to make out Williams' face.

 

You need one of these!

 

Image result for opera binoculars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...