Star Wars Disenchantment

John

10 hours ago, Mattris said:

The EU volumes gave Lucasfilm an opportunity to brainstorm and ultimately, distract... for the real continuation of the story was yet to come.

This is complete bullshit and you know it.

@Mattris, let me ask you this. If none of these "distractions" were taking place, would a lot more people have figured out this big secret only you know about?  Do you think the "distractions" are actually keeping people from finding out what this big reveal is?

Are these "distractions and lies" absolutely necessary, when you're the only person who understands Star Wars?

9 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Solo's financial failure saw plans for future spin-off movies shelved. Still, doubtless all 'part of the plan'. 

If those spin-off movies were planned as movies, they were eventually made as Disney+ shows with more content/length than single films.

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I know I've been totally fooled by firing, what are we up to, three directors? Masterful misdirection.

How do you know there were firings? We only know what is announced by Lucasfilm.

8 hours ago, Demodex said:

I think I know why!

Perhaps @GerateWohl didn't answer because I stumped him.

Nope. That's not it. 

The logical explanation that so many people are 'fatigued' with Star Wars is that they don't understand it.  It's like playing/watching a game/sport of which you don't know the rules. Of course you're going to eventually lose interest. You're not 'tuned in' on what's happening or what's supposed to happen.

8 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Controversial to who though? Having a gay character in a movie shouldn't be controversial. Nor a person of color, but even these decisions could've been made for money which would invalidate your point about not caring about money. I hope it isn't the sole reason... but it is a megacorporation.

On the contrary, my point was not 'invalidated'.

For many/most of the audience, it would seem inappropriate or forced that a gay character would act overtly gay in a movies made for kids. If a controversial character/relationship/scene/plot causes a project to make less money, then I would say that either [1] the makers of project did not care about making the most money because pushing their agenda was more important or [2] the makers were not aware of what decisions/specific inclusions of the project would result in making the most money.

Megacorporations can afford expensive missteps, like the Buzz Lightyear spin-off, which featured at least one gay character.

Well in your "legends was just a misdirection for the real canon" which is true to some extent, it wasn't really George's canon, but I imagine you say the same thing for the Kanan comics being different from Bad Batch S01E01, or the Ahsoka novel to the Siege of Mandalore and Tales of the Jedi S01E06, the minor stuff that ends up forgotten, retconned or just flat out replaced. Lack of consistency.

I'm aware of some relatively minor inconsistencies in the Star Wars canon. But most fans are either unaware of them or don't care. The ones who do care about so-called 'inconsistencies' haven't the slightest clue what they don't know, about say, how the Force works and how certain characters use the Force.

And even then, some - or all - of the minor inconsistencies you stated could be chalked up to a varying point of view of the characters who experienced those particular events. Star Wars is not presented as a fly on the wall. (It's omniscient third-person, from the perspective of the main characters.)

"'Things going south somewhere' is not assured" neither is "Star Wars could be 'going exactly the way it was supposed to go.'"

Because of this reality, the audience should be using the best evidence available in order to make an informed conclusion: the explanation that is most likely true. Opinions based on a surface-level assessment of the work are not reliable in the slightest, especially if one thinks they're experiencing an escapist work made primarily to make money and satisfy the most people episode to episode.

Short-sighted assessments, assumptions, and group-think are a recipe for disaster when interpreting a work like Star Wars. But this is exactly what I think has befallen its audience/fandom.

"George wouldn't show up in the Mandalorian set"... If I remember correctly Bob wasn't even there/president anymore, and George felt betrayed by him, there was no reason for him to have beef with Kathellen or Filoni.

If Iger made the executive decision to not use his stories/sequel treatments, KK should have quit on principal, based on her loyalty to George. She promised him on camera they would use his stories!

It simply doesn't make sense that a principled, smart man like George Lucas would associate with anyone who betrayed him or was complicit in the betrayal, such as "white slavers".

BTTF II and III were shot together for 11 months... sounds about right. You think 2 Star Wars movies were shot together in 6 months? Ah, they are lying about the filming schedule, obviously.

No. I'm saying IX and X were shot over the course of about a year. This includes the supposed re-shoots that were reported to have happened throughout the summer and fall of 2019.

16 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Megacorporations can afford expensive missteps, like the Buzz Lightyear spin-off, which featured at least one gay character.

Not a really good example because that is Pixar, and Disney was never as hands on with them as they are with Star Wars, and because it was a 3 second kiss (shortened to a 1.5 sec kiss after the stupid backlash) that was blown out of proportions by the internet. The movie itself is in the lower bar of Pixar's catalogue and it had a lot of factor against it besides the stupid backlash.

19 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I'm aware of some relatively minor inconsistencies in the Star Wars canon. But most fans are either unaware of them or don't care. The ones who do care about so-called 'inconsistencies' haven't the slightest clue what they don't know, about say, how the Force works and how certain characters use the Force.

And even then some - or all - of the minor inconsistencies you stated could be chalked up to a varying point of view of the characters who experienced those particular events. Star Wars is not presented as a fly on the wall. (It's omniscient third-person.)

I wasn't talking about most fans, I was talking about you, the "one who gets Star Wars".

Not all because there's the whole situation of Kanan's order 66 is different.

23 minutes ago, Mattris said:

If Iger made the executive decision to not use his stories/sequel treatments, KK should have quit on principal, based on her loyalty to George. She promised him on camera they would use his stories!

It simply doesn't make sense that a principled, smart man like George would associate with anyone who betrayed him or was complicit in the betrayal, such as "white slavers".

Since we are on What Ifs...? She might have and George convinced her to stay, she might have thought she could do more good within, or she, like every other employed person, had to agree to disagree on a decision made by their boss. And I'm assuming on her favor.

A smart man would not hold grudges, let alone something that wasn't in anyone else's control, an apology would be enough.

2 hours ago, Mattris said:

If those spin-off movies were planned as movies, they were eventually made as Disney+ shows with more content/length than single films.

What about the Solo sequels that the cast signed on for? Even Ron Howard was trying to get those off the ground for quite some time with obviously no luck. It was eventually partially continued in the form of a short-lived comic series. Let me guess... "that was all part of the plan"?

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

they were eventually made as Disney+ shows

No they weren't!!  🤦

3 hours ago, Mattris said:

The logical explanation that so many people are 'fatigued' with Star Wars is that they don't understand it.  It's like playing/watching a game/sport of which you don't know the rules. Of course you're going to eventually lose interest. You're not 'tuned in' on what's happening or what supposed to happen.

That's the logical explanation?  😄😄😄😄

No, that's not it. Far from it. 

6 hours ago, Demodex said:

@Mattris, let me ask you this. If none of these "distractions" were taking place, would a lot more people have figured out this big secret only you know about?  Do you think the "distractions" are actually keeping people from finding out what this big reveal is?

Are these "distractions and lies" absolutely necessary, when you're the only person who understands Star Wars?

@Mattris  Please answer. 

This is complete bullshit and you know it.

George Lucas didn't write the EU stories. But multiple ideas were pulled from those volumes in the continued canon. For instance, George Lucas approved of Dark Empire, and that was the basis for Emperor Palpatine's return. My explanation makes perfect sense.

Ah, great question. With absolutely no distractions, I think more people would have understood Star Wars far better. One of the major misdirects was making the second trilogy first. Not enough of audience considers the story chronologically. Doing so is a critical first step in 'getting it'.

Yes, I think the distractions are serving their purpose, so much so that people can't fathom that all these controversial/terrible/inconsistent/awkward things to complain about are a concerted troll by Lucasfilm. As Obi-Wan said to Yoda in ROTS, "It can't be..." and to Padme,"He was deceived by a lie. We all were."

I can't say if the distractions and lies are absolutely necessary, but they are working too well.

Like I said, there is not just one "big secret". Really, the biggest one is that the Saga was always telling a single story, one that is still very much alive.

5 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Not a really good example because that is Pixar, and Disney was never as hands on with them as they are with Star Wars, and because it was a 3 second kiss (shortened to a 1.5 sec kiss after the stupid backlash) that was blown out of proportions by the internet. The movie itself is in the lower bar of Pixar's catalogue and it had a lot of factor against it besides the stupid backlash.

A same-sex kiss shouldn't have been included in a Disney kids movie/show. Full stop. They were asking for controversy, and they paid for it.

I wasn't talking about most fans, I was talking about you, the "one who gets Star Wars".

The minor inconsistencies don't affect the bigger picture.

Not all because there's the whole situation of Kanan's order 66 is different.

I'll look into it.

Since we are on What Ifs...? She might have and George convinced her to stay, she might have thought she could do more good within, or she, like every other employed person, had to agree to disagree on a decision made by their boss. And I'm assuming on her favor.

A plausible theory. But I say one should be highly suspicious of all this. George Lucas has been known to contradict himself with Star Wars, like, a lot over the years decades. Don't be surprise if he moved squarely into the camp of lying to see his Star Wars surprise through to the end. (I won't be.)

A smart man would not hold grudges, let alone something that wasn't in anyone else's control, an apology would be enough.

He appointed Kathy Kennedy to replace him and sold his company and story/sequel treatments to Bob Iger. If his intended story wasn't used as the basis for the continuation of the Saga, George Lucas has no one to blame but himself... for putting trust in the wrong people and for not including story stipulations in the sales contract.

3 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

What about the Solo sequels that the cast signed on for? Even Ron Howard was trying to get those off the ground for quite some time with obviously no luck. It was eventually partially continued in the form of a short-lived comic series. Let me guess... "that was all part of the plan"?

I doubt it. Lucasfilm have limited time and resources. At the moment, I would guess that they have far great priorities, with a Solo sequel film way down on their 'To-Do' list.

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

No they weren't!!  🤦

Which announced-then-cancelled films weren't made or incorporated into the shows? Rouge Squadron comes to mind... a full-length theatrical movie about pilots? Really? People thought that was a serious project, amongst so much negativity and animosity in the fandom at this time? Had it been made, it would have bombed.

That's the logical explanation?  😄😄😄😄

No, that's not it. Far from it.

That's absolutely the logical explanation. On multiple levels, Star Wars fans have no idea what Star Wars is about. They never talk about it in the same terms as George Lucas. Most prefer to complain about what didn't happen in the story, rather than truly think about what did happen and what it could mean as the lore and story unfolds. Many here are prime examples of this. What a mistake this will be proven to have been.

16 hours ago, Mattris said:

same-sex kiss shouldn't have been included in a Disney kids movie/show. Full stop.

?? What's wrong with a same sex kiss?

16 hours ago, Mattris said:

a full-length theatrical movie about pilots? Really?

Sounds a lot like Top Gun Maverick, the #12 highest grossing film of all time. Pretty sure a Star Wars top gun movie would've been a smash hit... Shame LF got cold feet when Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman 1984 was reviewed poorly 

36 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

?? What's wrong with a same sex kiss?

Can't be shown in China, so there's a big hit to revenue. But for western audiences apparently some don't like seeing it (even though same sex couples with children are a thing)

39 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Sounds a lot like Top Gun Maverick, the #12 highest grossing film of all time. Pretty sure a Star Wars top gun movie would've been a smash hit... Shame LF got cold feet about Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman 1984 was reviewed poorly 

Not to mention original Top Gun, Battle of Britain, Memphis Belle, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Midway and arguably Pearl Harbour, An Officer and a Gentleman and Hot Shots! Are all popular films that have focused on pilots, Rogue Squadron also comes with it's own inbuilt fanbase from the various games and books. The idea on paper could absolutely work, it's just Patty Jenkins isn't a good writer (see Wonder Woman 84), her directing someone else's script definitely could have worked though.

On multiple levels, Star Wars fans have no idea what Star Wars is about.

On multiple levels, you are totally overthinking this.  It's a science fiction space opera.  There's nothing so profound about it like you think there is.

They are just fucking movies.

They never talk about it in the same terms as George Lucas.

WTF are you talking about?  Sure we do!

One of the major misdirects was making the second trilogy first.

Are you brain dead?  There are several reasons it was made first.  None of them have to do with a misdirect.

Whether you watch them in release order or numerical order, it doesn't matter.  You've still seen the same exact movies.

You are infuriating.

How many people have posted in this thread?  How many have agreed with anything you've said?  But we're the ignorant ones?

18 minutes ago, Demodex said:

How many people have posted in this thread?  How many have agreed with anything you've said?  But we're the ignorant ones?

Do you really expect him to do anything with that last question? Because he's just gonna answer "yes" and then move on like nothing happened. This person has no self-awareness whatsoever.

13 hours ago, Brónach said:

well, "an episode X has been shot" is a falsifiable claim, so what's it going to be of the claim in some years?

I expect we'll find out if my claim was right within "some years". Though, I don't know why they would wait six years after IX to release X.

13 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Well, right now I figure they have a market of one person then. I hope you're buying lots of tickets! Of course they don't care if they make money so it's fine. (Damn, Firefly cared about story and it didn't make any money. Why don't we have lots more of that?)

Star Wars is appealing on many levels, so many people/fans will naturally flock to see the latest installment. If nothing else, just so they can talk about it amongst themselves.

To the storytellers, the story itself and how it will be remembered are far more important than making maximum profit in the short term. Star Wars is so much bigger than money and escapism.

13 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I mean, I'm watching their shows and I went to all the movies, but I don't think that Star Wars 10 is already filmed. So I certainly don't understand Star Wars.

Watching all the movies and shows doesn't mean you understand Star Wars. Do you think you do? What do you know about it?

12 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

:lol:

That is a seriously scary place to be.

You wouldn't know because you don't know what I know... what I've seen.

11 hours ago, Demodex said:

If nothing else at all was going on with the movies from 1983 to 1999, what the hell did we need to be distracted from?

Truly thinking about what Star Wars could be about, as well as what led to story as shown in Episodes IV, V, and VI... what really happened in that trilogy. (So many still do not have a clue.)

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Is that your opinion, or you're thinking purely from a marketing standpoint?

It wasn't just "marketing". The same-sex kiss was in the film. My position is that young kids should not be exposed to sexual - or same-sex relations - material in any form, especially not in cartoons.

On multiple levels, you are totally overthinking this.  It's a science fiction space opera.  There's nothing so profound about it like you think there is.

They are just fucking movies.

You'll be proven wrong. George Lucas never referred to Star Wars as sci-fi.  He called it a "modern fairytale" derived from works of mythology, philosophy, and religion. Without preaching to his audience, Star Wars was created as an allegory: a teaching tool for young people and people who could benefit from deeper thought and consideration about humanity, life, and even the universe. The story is more profound than you can currently fathom.

WTF are you talking about?  Sure we do!

I just proved you wrong.

Are you brain dead?  There are several reasons it was made first.  None of them have to do with a misdirect.

Whether you watch them in release order or numerical order, it doesn't matter.  You've still seen the same exact movies.

You are infuriating.

Presenting the second trilogy first absolutely did matter. People walked away from the OT knowing that Star Wars was about Luke, the hero of the story. The PT showed so much happened that led to subsequent events... a great many things that were largely disregarded and/or underestimated because the audience had already concluded that they understood what Star Wars was about based on their experience of the (superior) original trilogy... that, of course, already showed 'The End' of the story. How wrong they were... and still are are.

Yes, we've "seen the same exact movies". But you haven't seen them from a certain point of view: the correct one.

It was not my intent to convince this forum. I presented my case and made points based on facts, logic, and the literal content of the films and canon. But I cannot help that so many here are stubborn, prideful, and ignorant... who claim to understand matters of Star Wars but haven't read the film novelizations or thought about the work as being created as an allegory... who dismiss my conclusions and predictions even after my specific Palpatine/Rey theory success: that the Emperor would return, with his intent to use creation/relative Rey's body as a subsequent vessel for his spirit.

Over hundreds of posts, I put together a solid case that will be looked back on in amazement.

You will eventually learn that Star Wars was designed to challenge its audience... that would make a fool of those who didn't rise to the challenge.

Along with so many assuming people around the world, you don't even know what you don't know about Star Wars. It didn't occur to you that you should have been considering the story beyond the perceived experiences of the protagonists and other characters of the movies.

That is why you failed.

12 minutes ago, Mattris said:

Star Wars is appealing on many levels, so many people/fans will naturally flock to see the latest installment. If nothing else, just so they can talk about it amongst themselves.

Pity that wasn't the case with Solo, and to a lesser extent IX

12 minutes ago, Mattris said:

It wasn't just "marketing". The same-sex kiss was in the film. My position is that young kids should not be exposed to sexual - or same-sex relations - material in any form, especially not in cartoons.

Why? Also, a kiss is not sexual material :pat:

13 minutes ago, greenturnedblue said:

Why? Also, a kiss is not sexual material :pat:

That's not what Irvin Kershner said! ;)

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

Yes, I know. I meant if it was just based on your opinion, or concerned about negative feedback from the public. And what about a kiss is sexual? What about Han and Leia kissing in the OT? Or Anakin/Padme in the prequels? Are those just as problematic for you? If not, why?

I gave you my position on this topic. I didn't say a kiss is sexual. Why do you ask if I consider Han/Leia or Anakin/Padme kissing to be problematic?

Again, my position is that young kids should not be exposed to sexual - or same-sex relations - material in any form, especially not in cartoons.

Same-sex kissing is inappropriate content in a kids program.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I can't hear you. 

What I said was essentially "This thread was more fun when it was about Mattris' Star Wars theories."  I deleted it because I figured the conversation didn't quite stop being about that.

7 hours ago, Mattris said:

Though, I don't know why they would wait six years after IX to release X.

Really?  You can't think of any reasons other than your stupid theories?

Truly thinking about what Star Wars could be about, as well as what led to story as shown in Episodes IV, V, and VI... what really happened in that trilogy. (So many still do not have a clue.)

We know exactly what happened. If we're so wrong then fucking tell us what you're talking about. Otherwise STFU. 

I just proved you wrong

No you didn't. 

5 hours ago, Mattris said:

Same-sex kissing is inappropriate content in a kids program

WHY??  When they are young is exactly when they should be exposed to it. (And I'm not a "groomer")

But I cannot help that so many here are stubborn, prideful, and ignorant.

Pot...kettle

You will eventually learn that Star Wars was designed to challenge its audience...

They're freaking kids movies.  😄😄😄😄

Mattriss, I think Star Wars should challenge you in the audience with some men having an sprawling romance against the backdrop of the galaxy, plus a lot of pew pew pew and explosions of course.

21 hours ago, Demodex said:

If nothing else at all was going on with the movies from 1983 to 1999, what the hell did we need to be distracted from?

i always imagined this happened because they had nothing Star Wars to do in mind at all.

You've always been free to head out, @Manakin Skywalker. Don't worry, I'll be doing the same very soon.

Due to the scene in question, the film Lightyear  was criticized, rated for more-mature audiences, and banned in many countries.

Disney did not have to include the scene, one they knew would cause controversy. They made a choice regarding the content of their work, and I support their freedom to do so. I estimate that the theatrical run of the film resulted in a net loss.

My absolute last word on this topic:  Parents are responsible for what their young children are exposed to.

5 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I estimate that the theatrical run of the film resulted in a net loss.

It did, yeah. According to Deadline (see the Box Office Thread for more), Lightyear made Disney lose over a hundred million dollars. Strange World, another Disney animation featuring a gay character, was even more of a disaster and lost Disney almost $200 million.

Of course, the "gay content" wasn't the only reason these movies bombed. The sad fact is that, these days, people only watch animations in theaters if they're based on existing properties, like sequels (Finding Dory, Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4, Minions 2, etc) or a game adaptation like Mario.

54 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

another Disney animation featuring a gay character, was even more of a disaster and lost Disney almost $200 million.

Out of curiosity, which movie was that?

1 hour ago, Mattris said:

Don't worry, I'll be doing the same very soon.

:( Please tell me the secret before you leave!  

I'm guessing the big reveal will be that Star Wars is an allegory for religion.  Evil (Palpatine) will always exist. 

Unless all the Jedi kill themselves. 

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Never heard of it.