Star Wars Disenchantment

John

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

The sad fact is that, these days, people only watch animations in theaters if they're based on existing properties, like sequels (Finding Dory, Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4, Minions 2, etc) or a game adaptation like Mario.

this is the thing

meanwhile, in a different country, in their Star Wars equivalent, the lesbian centered reboot of the frachise (and now trying to aim for girls in general) is being a complete cash cow and it's difficult to even buy the toys because they run out

also taking full advantage of the fact they've always been cleverer and have multiple canons/timelines so they can do what they want each time

9 minutes ago, Demodex said:

Never heard of it. 

It was completely ignored at the box office. One of Disney's biggest animated disasters ever. And I may be wrong but AFAIK it was also ignored on Disney+ too, unlike Encanto, which was a flop at the box office but a hit on streaming.

1 minute ago, Brónach said:

this is the thing

Yep. The last truly original animated hit was Coco, back in late 2017.

I'm just genuinely surprised I haven't seen him bring up the 'nine books the films were based on' thing (something I thought was a delusion from my sperm donor but it appears a few other people believe it too)

48 minutes ago, Demodex said:

:( Please tell me the secret before you leave!  

I'm guessing the big reveal will be that Star Wars is an allegory for religion.  Evil (Palpatine) will always exist. 

Unless all the Jedi kill themselves.  

Star Wars is, by definition, an allegory. Various religions can already be found in the Star Wars galaxy. For instance, Mando said that the Mandalorian religion is their creed.

The conclusion of the Star Wars Saga will be based around Rey forming her own Jedi Order suicide cult to stop evil ol' grandpa Palps? That doesn't sound very nice. It's certainly not what I think will happen.

19 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

I'm just genuinely surprised I haven't seen him bring up the 'nine books the films were based on' thing (something I thought was a delusion from my sperm donor but it appears a few other people believe it too)

Nine books?

2 hours ago, Giftheck said:

WHAT??

What I want to know: The total number of words written in this thread... and what percentage of them are mine.

Also, which member holds the record for total number of words written on this entire forum? How about average words per post? Can I get an award?

Excellent number crunching, @Edmilson. But I doubt this thread will receive over 900 posts in the next month, mainly due to the fact that I'll be taking a break soon.

If this thread totals 10k posts by the end of the year, I'll be surprised. By that time, there might be less of a reason to be disenchanted about Star Wars.

7 hours ago, Demodex said:

WHAT??

Oh yeah, there's people that believe the films are based on nine books. I thought my 'father' was just nuts because he has the unfortunate habit of making things up, but I realised he wasn't alone when I saw somebody repeat that claim somewhere else. IIRC it was actually in a video on the Star Wars YouTube channel as well (not in the comments - in the actual video - they were doing street interviews to build hype for something on the channel in a segment of one of their videos, I can't remember if it was Celebration or Episode IX though). Given the thousands of videos on there, it might take me a while to find it though 😅

On 29/04/2023 at 10:39 AM, Giftheck said:

there's people that believe the films are based on nine books.

If you look at drafts of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, they're often credited as "based on the novel by George Lucas." In 2004, Lucas said he's making "nine films out of one book."

Spoiler: he lied.

The Star Wars Saga was designed to be one story told in twelve episodes, with Return of the Jedi (Episode VI) marking its halfway point, not 'The End'.

George Lucas made six films himself. Under Kathleen Kennedy's supervision, Lucasfilm will make six more.

Once the story is understood, the Star Wars audience will be able to accept what has happened, in and out of the films. But at this time, assumption, distraction, and disenchantment have overwhelmed them. Even the possibly that they've got it wrong is unfathomable. So they go on assuming, complaining, and being distracted.

They needn't worry... because they will be shown the error of their ways. And they will like it.

On 28/04/2023 at 2:39 PM, Jay said:

Well this is the most ridiculous thing I've read in this entire thread, and you've now revealed yourself to be a bigot.  I don't know why anybody took you seriously before, but I really don't know why anybody would take you seriously now.

Personal attacks are not allowed on this forum.  You're choosing to engage with a troll, and you let him get under your skin - You let him win.  Be better!

Devil's advocate - if site admin regards Mattris as a troll, how come he's still being allowed to post? 

14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Come on, folks, we need a little more than 900 posts on this thread until May 25th! It'd be quite an event if the Disenchantment thread gets to 10k posts on the 46th birthday of A New Hope, 40th birthday of Return of the Jedi and 5th birthday of the creation of this thread.

We can do it! :jump:

We could discuss if it is time to rename the thread into "Star Wars Enchantment".

Or the Star Wars / Marvel relation.

I mean, 2019 was the absolute low point for Star Wars and the highpoint for the MCU. The year where "Avengers Endgame" and "The Rise of Skywalker" hit theaters. Star Wars seemed almost dead by then.

In the meantime it almost turned. Star Wars is getting better and better and Marvel, ... might become better again some time in the future. Who knows.

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Also, he doesn't resort to personal attacks, he simply posts his theories about Star Wars, and various members here let themselves get riled up by his theories and then THEY resort to personal attacks

That’s absolutely not true that Mattris hasn’t resorted to personal attacks. The only person that has claimed that is, surprise-surprise, Mattris himself.

17 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

That’s absolutely not true that Mattris hasn’t resorted to personal attacks. The only person that has claimed that is, surprise-surprise, Mattris himself.

Interesting ; I don't have time to read every word posted on this thread, but nobody has ever used the report function on one of his posts for a personal attack. That's a very important tool people need to use to make sure we see these things. 

Yeah, the amount of times he's outright stated his self-proclaimed superiority over all of us is a bit staggering. I guess because he says it in such a flowery manner that it could hardly even register as an unintentional insult, given it's the personality that is standing out more. I couldn't think of any examples off the top of my head, since it tends to get buried within everything else he says.

Yea, it's all ego stuff, which is why I've said like a dozen times if you all just ignored him he'd stop posting here. But you all keep engaging. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Interesting ; I don't have time to read every word posted on this thread, but nobody has ever used the report function on one of his posts for a personal attack. That's a very important tool people need to use to make sure we see these things. 

To be honest I didn’t even know that was a thing or a valid reason to use that, but noted for the future

1 hour ago, A. A. Ron said:

Are they really personal attacks if they're always directed at everyone else?

They’re not though, he has been very specific with his insults depending on which particular person takes his ire. I’ve been on the receiving end of that in the past when I thought engaging was in anyway productive

I find it a bit hard to dismiss the (likely unintentional) implication that some of the others here have been obnoxious enough to warrant being reported. Mattris is at least a strong sport in letting nothing negative we say get to him emotionally (though that's probably because the fact we respond at all is what gets him on his high horse, so really it'd be counterintuitive for him to report anyone if the whole point is that there's any activity here in the first place).

In any case, one can easily make a list of the times he's been pushy towards others (which only gets lost because he says a lot), so I don't buy this whole one-sided nature being what's happening.

On 01/05/2023 at 2:13 AM, Mattris said:

The Star Wars Saga was designed to be one story told in twelve episodes, with Return of the Jedi (Episode VI) marking its halfway point, not 'The End'.

Oi, Mattris, want something to blow your mind? From a Kenner ad from August 1979:

Scan+8.jpeg

Thirteen additional Star Wars episodes have already been written.”

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Even being a bigot isn't against any forum rules really.  It's just always unfortunate when you learn that about someone.

Jay, I would appreciate it if you would please stop calling me a bigot, even if you are convinced that's what I am.

I'll remind everyone here that my stated opinions were based solely on specific mature/controversial material contained within content made for young children.

9 minutes ago, Mattris said:

I'll remind everyone here that my stated opinions were based solely on specific mature/controversial material contained within content made for young children.

but you're posting controversial material about content made for young children

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

oh my god!! i have never seen Twin Peaks!!

I envy you, greatly. You have much to look forward to.

9 minutes ago, Mattris said:

...my stated opinions were based solely on specific mature/controversial material contained within content made for young children.

I have seen turds made with more "mature/controversial...content...for young children", than the ST.

Aint nothing mature or controversial about any person kissing any other consenting person (at least not any more so than all of the consensual and not so consensual/sleeping kisses in the Disney children’s classics), and if you think there is, it a bigoted line of thought.  To bring the thread back on topic, here is the FBI’s own Gordon Cole:

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, Mattris said:

Jay, I would appreciate it if you would please stop calling me a bigot, even if you are convinced that's what I am.

Yes, exactly;  Two people kissing each other for 1.5 seconds is not "mature" material.  It's just two people kissing each other.  If you consider it to be "normal" when the 2 people are different genders, but "mature" when the two people are the same gender, then you are bigoted against homosexuality.  It's fine if that's what you are, you're not going to be banned because you feel that way, but you should certainly expect people to treat you differently now that you have revealed this about yourself.  

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea, it's all ego stuff, which is why I've said like a dozen times if you all just ignored him he'd stop posting here. But you all keep engaging. 

I know, I know.