94th Academy Awards (2022 ceremony for 2021 films)

Jay

Woah, I think this is the first time Al Pacino actually seemed really old to me. 

And damn, Copolla has lost weight eh

No the sound was cut cause there must have been some swearing I guess, but the punch must have been planned from I saw not paying full attention 

Woah, I either hadn't heard or had completely forgotten that Jean Marc Vallee passed, damn

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

No the sound was cut cause there must have been some swearing I guess, but the punch must have been planned from I saw not paying full attention 

Nope. It was the real deal...not staged

Man, imagine flying off the handle over such a complety innocuous joke. He's got some rage inside him eh

1 minute ago, Van_Etten said:

I don't know. When Chris said the joke Smith was laughing as everyone.

It's like neither him or Jada got the joke and thought it was some kind of real insult. 

Where'd their sense of humor go? 

Apparently Chris Rock and Will Smith haven't seen eye-to-eye for years. Also sounds like Rock was being kind of a dick...I did not get the joke. Clearly designed to provoke Smith. Although throwing a punch is probably not the answer here...

Campion learns from her speech's mistake and keeps it simple and classy. Congrats to her on the win.

4 minutes ago, KK said:

Apparently Chris Rock and Will Smith haven't seen eye-to-eye for years. Also sounds like Rock was being kind of a dick...I did not get the joke. Clearly designed to provoke Smith. Although throwing a punch is probably not the answer here...

Campion learns from her speech's mistake and keeps it simple and classy. Congrats to her on the win.

I didn't get the joke either. Here is an explanation from twitter

Chris Rock made a joke about Jada Pinkett-Smith being in "G.I. Jane" because of her bald head. She's spoken openly about having a hair loss condition. Will Smith ran on stage, slapped Rock, then screamed twice at the top of his lungs "KEEP MY WIFE'S NAME OUT OF YOUR F-NG MOUTH."

13 minutes ago, KK said:

I did not get the joke

GI Jane is a movie about Demi Moore in army boot camp, she has a shaved head in it. 

Jada Smith currently has a shaved head, so Chris Rock joked that she was ready for GI Jane 2.

Holy cow Will Smith is dying up there, someone play the music 

And they had to turn the camera off because he spit? Why? 

This speech though...

This is good television...Congrats Academy, you got what you wanted!

3 minutes ago, KK said:

This speech though...

This is good television...Congrats Academy, you got what you wanted!

He couldn't decide whether to address the film or his incident and was doing both at the same time.

I get it. It's a difficult place to be, and I have a lot sympathy for Smith in this situation.

Yay Jessica Chastain! 

I didn't know Liza Minelli was wheelchair-bound these days, that's a bummer

CODA wins best picture! I wish we had watched it when we had Apple TV

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Haven't watched Encanto, but I think either Raya or Mitchells vs Machines should've won.

WTH are all these super-hero movies doing there?

RAYA was a POS!

YUK!

38 minutes ago, Jay said:

GI Jane is a movie about Demi Moore in army boot camp, she has a shaved head in it. 

Jada Smith currently has a shaved head, so Chris Rock joked that she was ready for GI Jane 2.

He should have made a joke about the hissy fit she threw when SMITH wasn't nominated for CONCUSSION.

Will Smith's next film "Cuckold"

Thanks for the updates.

Thanks for the updates.

4 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

Haven't seen CODA but I am glad Power of the Dog didn't win. 

What's CODA?

Well, to its credit, it was definitely a better ceremony than last year. But the bar was not very high.

For the most part, the hosts were solid, and Smith offered some "had to watch it live" TV drama.

Power of the Dog came out surprisingly empty-handed though. It was just Jane Campion's Oscar.

10 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm not saying the Will Smith thing was staged at all, but it's interestingly convenient that every year there's exactly one big controversy, no more, no less.

What was last year’s incident?

That was controversial? It was always the front-runner.

Unless that’s a joke, and my brain is too tired to read subtext :p

Anyway, I don’t remember anything as crazy as this happening during the Oscars for years…

1 hour ago, KK said:

What was last year’s incident?

Last year was definitely when they switched Best Picture and Best Actor so that Chadwick Boseman - the presumed frontrunner - would finish the night with a posthumous win and an acceptance from his wife who had been running the table with emotional speeches, and instead Anthony Hopkins won and he wasn't there and so (with no host to save him) Joaquin Phoenix sent off the Oscars with an awkward goodnight lol

But this was much better. Nicole Kidman's reaction:

FO58BNeVUAE0fw0?format=jpg&name=900x900

Haha oh yea! That was some deserved comeuppance for the Academy trying to emotionally manipulate its audience. most amusing.

But this year’s brawl was even more out there I think.

I know somebody who works for the Academy, and if it wasn’t clear from Smith’s bizarre thank you and I’m sorry acceptance speech, I can confirm for you that this was not a planned thing.