94th Academy Awards (2022 ceremony for 2021 films)

Jay

6 hours ago, Thor said:

I believe the scientology rumour has been debunked several times by the Smiths. I was tempted to blame the incident on that too, but appears it's not true. Will Smith is a baptist. The only thing to blame here is a total mental breakdown.

If the Smiths are accused of something controversial and they just say “nuh uh!” that’s not really debunking!

The most damning evidence re: that cult for them:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside-will-and-jada-pinkett-smiths-scientology-school

When I first heard Williams' Overture to the Oscars in the fall, I thought, "really nice piece, but way too classy and sophisticated for the contemporary Oscars."  This has reinforced that thought to a very high degree.

13 hours ago, Van_Etten said:

Zimmer addresses his Oscar win.

why is he doing concerts in a bath robe?

2 hours ago, Tom said:

When I first heard Williams' Overture to the Oscars in the fall, I thought, "really nice piece, but way too classy and sophisticated for the contemporary Oscars."  This has reinforced that thought to a very high degree.

maybe it's Williams first rejected score

1 hour ago, crypto said:

Couldn't agree more with Carrey here. So damn refreshing hearing people in the industry just say it as it is.

And love the way he immediately shuts down the interviewer for insinuating Rock "escalated" the situation.

Yes, Carrey pretty much nails it. Yes, Rock made a bad joke. And he might have insulted Jada. Yes, and Smith misbehaved. And he appologized for that. But the biggest scandal is how the audience and the accademy dealed with it.

And going up to a stage where someone is presenting themselves for all the world to see is also not okay. Doesn't matter who it is or how many times that person has been on stage. It's one of the most vulnerable places an artist can be. And to invade that place is also not okay.

I think the Academy is partially to blame for this. I think the more intimate setting with the low stage didn't help this moment. If people had to go up the stairs for the stage (as in previous years) the chance that this happened would have been smaller.

By using a film that not many would've really remembered until this brought it into the spotlight? I suppose Alien 3 would've made Will go into full on assault mode if Rock used that instead.

I don't think there's much question that he used the film purely to poke at her appearance and not because he felt there was an apt comparison between Jada and the main character of the movie.

3 minutes ago, AC1 said:

He compared her to a symbol of woman empowerment. 

Yes. Jada could have taken it that way. But obviously she wasn't in the mental condition for that. And the joke took the risk of that. And a joke taking the risk of insulting a vulnerable person dealing with an illness is not a good idea. 

But everyone laughed. In a way Smith smacked as well all the people who laughed at that joke including himself.

Yeah maybe it was the widespread laughs what made him snap. 

Lots of laughs also when he slapped rock anyway... 

But i saw a twitte of jada accepting her condition, like this is me, i'll deal with it. Also many women with cancer dont wear a wig and say 'i'm bald, so what? ' like they want to rest importance to the matter. 

I jada publicly has said she was depressed by her condition, maybe noone would have made a joke. 

35 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I don't think there's much question that he used the film purely to poke at her appearance and not because he felt there was an apt comparison between Jada and the main character of the movie.

I'm sure me made a thorough analysis of both the film and the situation before tailoring the joke.

Congratulations to Steve Mazzaro, Steven Doar, David Fleming, Andrew Kawczynski, who wrote additional music for DUNE, but got no Oscar! 

11 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes, Carrey pretty much nails it. Yes, Rock made a bad joke. And he might have insulted Jada. Yes, and Smith misbehaved. And he appologized for that. But the biggest scandal is how the audience and the accademy dealed with it.

That and the message of what Smith's actions convey to society: that if you are a Hollywood movie star celebrity and slap a person, and then you apologize for it, you can get away with it with no consequenses whatsoever. 

11 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And going up to a stage where someone is presenting themselves for all the world to see is also not okay. Doesn't matter who it is or how many times that person has been on stage. It's one of the most vulnerable places an artist can be. And to invade that place is also not okay.

I think the Academy is partially to blame for this. I think the more intimate setting with the low stage didn't help this moment. If people had to go up the stairs for the stage (as in previous years) the chance that this happened would have been smaller.

Then Smith would've walked up the stairs before slapping Rock. 

11 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes. Jada could have taken it that way. But obviously she wasn't in the mental condition for that. And the joke took the risk of that. And a joke taking the risk of insulting a vulnerable person dealing with an illness is not a good idea. 

But everyone laughed. In a way Smith smacked as well all the people who laughed at that joke including himself.

1. Chris Rock might not have known about JPS's condition. Had he known, he wouldn't've made the joke.

2. 6 days prior JPS in a video said that she LOVES her hair (or lack thereof) this way. So her getting offended by comparing her to G.I. Jane is rather hypocritical. 

3. Indeed, EVERYONE laughed, INCLUDING Will Smith. Except for JPS. 

On 28/03/2022 at 8:51 AM, publicist said:

Greenwood would have been the more deserving winner (though rather for 'Phantom Thread'), but Hans' & Co. win is not undeserved, so there.

Agree 100%. And it terms of overall 2021 musical output, Greenwood is the clear winner. As far as individual efforts go, I also can'tlabel Dune's win as underserving. It's score in which I find many merits and interesting ideas. I'd been far more irked had he won for something like Dunkirk or Inception

Greenwood's Oscar glory should've arrived with the Phantom Thread. That was a far greater injustice than this year

Will Smith refused to leave Oscars after slapping Chris Rock, broke conduct code, Academy says.

The academy's board of governors met Wednesday to initiate disciplinary proceedings against Smith for violations against the group's standards of conduct. The academy said Smith has the opportunity to defend himself in a written response before the board meets again on April 18. The academy said disciplinary action for Smith could include suspension, expulsion or other sanctions.

"Mr. Smith's actions at the 94th Oscars were a deeply shocking, traumatic event to witness in-person and on television," the academy said.
"Mr. Rock, we apologize to you for what you experienced on our stage and thank you for your resilience in that moment. We also apologize to our nominees, guests and viewers for what transpired during what should have been a celebratory event."

https://abc7.com/will-smith-jada-pinkett-chris-rock-oscars/11692233/

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The days of Martin, Dangerfield, Rickles, etc. are over.  It is hard being funny in an ultra-sensitive world. 

And yet Dave Chapelle is still able to get new Netflix specials in spite of (and very likely because of) the recent controversies he's been causing. Not to mention that Louis C.K. is still able to do shows after all the allegations about him set him back for a bit.

So which is it then? I know the point is supposed to be about the content itself and not strictly the people, but I kind of call bullshit if (like what some here have mentioned before) the setbacks are very temporary and an audience is still undisputedly there for all of it (no matter the size).

Hell, I'd argue that with meme culture and comics like John Mulaney, there absolutely is a place for humor in today's world. The older guard are simply miffed that they can't just lazily attack groups like they used to and have to think of new material (because boy do they love their one note jokes).

(Sheesh, I feel like we're getting super close to breaking the rules at this point. Who knew a slap could lead to that much discourse?)

Forget Will Smith, the worst part of the ceremony is that now Zack Snyder's awful movies are Oscar winners, thanks to his army of minions on Twitter.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/zack-snyder-justice-league-army-of-the-dead-oscar-winners-imdb-1234712733/

28 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Forget Will Smith, the worst part of the ceremony is that now Zack Snyder's awful movies are Oscar winners, thanks to his army of minions on Twitter.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/zack-snyder-justice-league-army-of-the-dead-oscar-winners-imdb-1234712733/

That was my favorite part, because Spider Man lost

Probably the most predictable thing, given online controlled open polls never end well most of the time. I'm sure if they try it again next year, it'll be something much more blatantly shocking content wise (since I'm sure Snyder stans overwhelm 4chan users on Twitter currently).

I don’t care if it was real or staged; clearly there was a backstory. What is the backstory??

- I love you, Jada!

- G.I. Jane joke

- Will Smith laughs

- Rock says something about “jealous”??

- smack

- wow Will Smith just smacked the bleep out of me!

- Keep my wife’s NAME out yo bleepin MOUF!

- It was a G.I. Jane joke

- NO! Keep my wife’s NAME out yo bleepin MOUF!

He wasn’t mad about the joke!

Does this have to do with the Smiths’ open marriage?

24 minutes ago, publicist said:

Don't be too sure about that, half of America still seriously considers voting for Donald Trump and he's living proof that the old guard is very much alive.

Oh I absolutely don't doubt that. I only make that point to say that the other side isn't exactly humorless (even if there’s still plenty of subjectivity involved regarding what constitutes for good comedy).

1 hour ago, publicist said:

...half of America still seriously considers voting for Donald Trump...

That means that half isn't, which is no bad thing.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

The Smith/Rock affair is cringy and awkward for all involved, sure, but let's be serious for a moment: there's a war going on close to Central Europe, we don't need inane crap like this being blown out of proportion right now.

Agreed. In the big scheme of things, it ain't no thing but a chicken wing, or, put another way: no matter how high your highs, or how lows your lows, there's a billion people in China who just don't give a damn.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

In the big scheme of things, it ain't no thing but a chicken wing, or, put another way: no matter how high your highs, or how lows your lows, there's a billion people in China who just don't give a damn.

There's no point in comparing the two. Just because one thing is more important, it doesn't mean that the other isn't important. Yes, there's a war going on in a country, but that doesn't mean that the world stops and nothing else matters anymore. For example to me it's very important that scientists may have found indications of life on Pluto, or that the Hubble Space Telescope has captured a star called Earendel 28 billion light-years from the Earth. But I understand that while it's extremely important to me, it's not to others. And vice versa.

Will Smith's outrageous behavior at the Oscars is, in a way, as important as the war or the newly discovered star, because this is our world, and Smith is a role model to millions. And if he can get away with assaulting someone, then it sends a very bad message to "ordinary people". He and everyone in Hollywood, no matter how rich and powerful they may be, have to respect others, and the law applies to them the same as it does to anyone else.

That's why I believe it's imperative that Smith be punished, to show the world that not even a big movie star like Will Smith can do whatever he wants without any repercussions.

There is a video filmed from behind the smith couple, and it seems jada thought it was a joke, she laughs when smith smacks rock (like everyone else) and gets very tense and still when suddenly will smith starts shouting. 

So i think she didnt incite her husband to do it, she just rolled her eyes like anybody does when one is mocked... And mr smith snapped for some reason. 

A 10 year ban? This means Oscar baiters and perhaps A-list movie producers aren't gonna work with Will Smith anymore. He could always go to Europe and make movies with Roman Polanski.