How many streaming services are you subscribed to?

Edmilson

On 14/03/2023 at 12:49 PM, Jay said:

Happy surprise this morning:

My wife turned on the TV and I noticed that the banner ad on the right side of the Roku homescreen said something about a 3 month free trial of Apple TV being available just for having Roku.

So I clicked on it and all I had to do was go to the activate webite on my phone, log into my Apple ID account, and type in the 4 digit number on my TV screen and voila, instead 3 free months of Apple TV, which is long enough to cover all of Ted Lasso Season 3, which runs from tomorrow until May 31st.

And 3 months should be enough time to catch CODA, Severance, The Afterparty, etc while we have it.

Thanks, Roku!

• 1 month later...

Some stuff leaving the Disney services this month:

The Mysterious Benedict Society [Disney+]

Big Shot [Disney+]

Turner & Hooch [Disney+]

Willow [Disney+]

The Making Of Willow [Disney+]

Just Beyond [Disney+]

The World According To Jeff Goldblum [Disney+]

Pistol [FX/Hulu]

Dollface [Hulu]

The Quest [Disney+]

The Hot Zone [Nat Geo/Hulu]

Y: The Last Man [FX/Hulu]

Maggie [Hulu]

Little Demon [FX/Hulu]

The Premise [Hulu]

Love In The Time Of Corona [Hulu]

Everything’s Trash [Hulu]

Best In Snow [Hulu]

Best In Dough [Hulu]

The One And Only Ivan [Disney+]

Timmy Failure [Disney+]

Be Our Chef [Disney+]

Magic Camp [Disney+]

Howard [Disney+]

Earth To Ned [Disney+]

Foodtastic [Disney+]

Stuntman [Disney+]

Disney Fairy Tale Weddings [Disney+]

Wolfgang [Disney+]

It’s a Dog’s Life With Bill Farmer [Disney+]

Source: https://deadline.com/2023/05/disney-remove-series-streaming-disney-plus-hulu-big-shot-willow-y-dollface-turner-hooch-pistol-1235372512/

As of right now, none. I'm back to buying shows and movies on disc. There hasn't been a streaming-only show I've wanted to watch in ages. 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Some stuff leaving the Disney services this month:

The Hot Zone [Nat Geo/Hulu]

Thanks for the heads up. I read and enjoyed (and was scared by) the book, but forgot there was a show. I started the book a couple of days before flying to Kenya. I do not recommend that as the book opens with an account of an early Ebola victim flying to the same airport I was flying to. If I recall correctly, his organs started melting on the flight. 

11 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

There hasn't been a streaming-only show I've wanted to watch in ages. 

Severance (Apple), The Orville (Hulu), Hacks (Max), and Only Murders In The Building (Hulu) are worth getting a free trial subscription to check out

HBO Max - bundled with phone plan

peacock - bundled with internet plan

Netflix - Use parent’s account

Disney+

Discovery+

Apple

Amazon Prime
Hulu - use sister-in-law’s account 

• 2 weeks later...

So... Now is added to our package. Soon it'll be working out which ones we aren't on.

In other news, the super helpful https://www.justwatch.com/ doesn't have a listing for SeaQuest. I assume SeaQuest isn't available for streaming but I thought I'd have a look but Just Watch doesn't even register it. Given the number of random and obscure things it does list, I'm quite surprised! I felt I should give it another watch, just to see whether it's as good/bad as I remember it...

13 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

So... Now is added to our package. Soon it'll be working out which ones we aren't on.

In other news, the super helpful https://www.justwatch.com/ doesn't have a listing for SeaQuest. I assume SeaQuest isn't available for streaming but I thought I'd have a look but Just Watch doesn't even register it. Given the number of random and obscure things it does list, I'm quite surprised! I felt I should give it another watch, just to see whether it's as good/bad as I remember it...

If I remember correctly, that was on at the same time as Lois & Clark and I typically only watched SeaQuest if the Superman show was a rerun.  (Not sure why I didn't just tape it; maybe something else was also on at the same time which made that impossible?)  I kind of liked it.  I wouldn't mind checking that one out for real myself one of these days.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

In the US it's on both Peacock and Roku

https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/seaquest-dsv

How odd, it shows as being available in the US when I click the link (even though it recognises that I'm logged in) but if I search from a different window while logged in, it doesn't come up. Odd as it lists plenty of things that aren't available on streaming otherwise. Oh well, I won't be getting a dose of dull slow viewing any time soon ;-)

46 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

If I remember correctly, that was on at the same time as Lois & Clark and I typically only watched SeaQuest if the Superman show was a rerun.  (Not sure why I didn't just tape it; maybe something else was also on at the same time which made that impossible?)  I kind of liked it.  I wouldn't mind checking that one out for real myself one of these days.

I don't recall where it was shown in the UK, possibly 18.00 on BBC2 when they used to show Star Trek opposite the early evening news. I remember enjoying it as a teenager although I'm guessing its shortcomings might be more evident these days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Starting in 2024, you'll be obligated to watch ads on Amazon Prime. Don't like the ads? Then you'll have to pay an extra fee.

https://deadline.com/2023/09/amazon-ads-prime-video-series-movies-ad-free-tier-1235552984/

Isn't it sad to see streaming services slowly turning into regular TV?

I’m not too bothered.  This brings them into line with Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Peacock, and Paramount+.  I cut cable nearly a decade ago and a rotating battery of streaming services never even approaches what I was paying for cable on a month to month basis (which didn’t have an ads-free option).

Wait, what?

We've had Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, and Max at various times (we rotate too) and have never seen an ad on those platforms once to date.

How did you end up seeing ads on Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and Paramount+?

I've never had Peacock but I thought I read there was an ad-free version of that too.

What do you mean?  He said this change (including ads) brings them in line with a list of other services.  His posts reads to me like he sees ads on all those services when he watches them.   Unless I read his post wrong.

???? I said Amazon offering an ad-supported tier brings it in line with almost all of the major apps.  If you read the article, you can still watch Prime without ads for an extra $3/month.  It’s just a new tier and a price increase.

I don’t see ads because when I pay for an app, I chip the buck or two extra in to avoid them - and again, still pay less than cable where I was stuck seeing ads.  But it doesn’t change the fact that those apps offer ad version.

Right but it's different because the Amazon Prime subscription I already pay for is suddenly going to get ads now, something I never saw on that platform before. I'm being forced into having something different than what I signed up for. 

This is different than when Netflix rolled out an ad supported version, which was a cheaper option that didn't affect my existing subscription. 

I don’t see much difference at all, personally.  It seems like it’s just a marketing choice - announcing a universal price raise alongside the new cheaper commercial tier vs. “this is what you now get for what you’re paying” and opting into the more expensive ads-free tier.

I’m hoping that, like most of their rivals, Amazon forgets that the Channel Islands are a place and so the adverts just don’t play. Even regular U.K. steamers like All4 (or whatever it’s called) often don’t show ads when we watch stuff on demand. #benefitsoflivingonasmallisland

Right now we have Youtube TV, Disney + Bundle (Disney +, Hulu, ESPN+) and we’re Amazon Prime customers. Plus all the free crap that comes with Samsung smart TV’s and Amazon Fire Sticks. 

Needless to say, we’ll never lack anything to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Did I read that Best Buy is going to stop selling DVDs both in store AND on line?

Not just DVDs, all physical media, and yes, online as well as in-store.

https://variety.com/2023/digital/news/best-buy-ending-dvd-blu-ray-disc-sales-1235754919/

On 17/10/2023 at 11:48 AM, Edmilson said:

Thanks to the NFL and the lack of a Stranger Things-sized show, in September broadcast TV rose while streaming declined in the US.

https://deadline.com/2023/10/nielsen-the-gauge-september-nfl-broadcast-netflix-suits-one-piece-1235575302/

I have the NFL Sunday ticket so all I do is stream NFL football.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I got an email that Disney+ is going to to $18.99.

Yeah we just reactivated last month and now I already wanna dump it again. Guess I'll prioritize Black Mirror and Big Mouth now