Chris Columbus would love to make HP & The Cursed Child: would he ask John Williams?

Sandor

https://www.slashfilm.com/659071/chris-columbus-would-love-to-make-harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-with-the-movie-cast/

I think Chris got his heart in the right place on this one, especially seeing the opportunity to work again with the original three leads as adults:

"A version of 'Cursed Child' with Dan, Rupert, and Emma at the right age, it's cinematic bliss. If you're a film nerd or cinephile, it's kind of like what J.J. [Abrams] did with 'Star Wars.' 'Star Wars' really started to be great again when J.J. made the film and we had all the original cast back. There's no question if you're a 'Star Wars' fan, you were moved just seeing them on screen, seeing Harrison Ford as Han Solo again — and Chewy. It was very moving. I think that would be the same situation for 'Harry Potter' fans. To able to actually see these adult actors now back in these roles? Oh, yeah. It would be amazingly fun to make that film — or two films."

Although currently only in fetal stages at best, I do wonder if Columbus would approach John Williams to compose the music and what it would result to...

21 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, why would WB not hire Columbus?

Columbus has been in "Movie Jail" for many years now, that ineffable stink of desperation that Hollywood hates.  He made too many commercial/critical flops in a row.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Columbus has been in "Movie Jail" for many years now.  He made too many commercial/critical flops in a row so Hollywood big wigs don't take his calls anymore. 

Hmm, I thought Home Alone and HP would count for something. In any case, he's a way better director than Yates will ever be and who cares what critics think anyway? Roger Ebert said Home Alone was unrealistic. I mean...

6 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

And second if we are waiting for the cast to be the right age then JW will be over 100 by then.

So... Williams has more energy at 89 than Jon Snow in GoT, he'll outlive us all!!

24 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Columbus did two of the worst blockbuster movies from the 2010s, which is why he's in movie jail:

Plus the two movies he did between HP and Percy Jackson (Rent and I Love You, Beth Cooper) were huge flops.  Rent especially put a stink on him because Sony positioned it as Oscar-bait and it was *hated* by critics and audiences were utterly indifferent.

16 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Can't believe the guy who did Home Alone and HP actually agreed to direct an Adam Sandler comedy.

Directing Pixels was a career-killing move. I have no idea why someone of his stature would lower himself to such dreck.

Few people recover from such a shortsighted career move.

36 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Directing Pixels was a career-killing move. I have no idea why someone of his stature would lower himself to such dreck.

People are actually starting to ask now if PIXELS is an overlooked and misunderstood gem, i.e. a project more in the spirit of what Lord & Miller do. I remember reading an article a few weeks ago, on some well-respected film site (can't remember where) where the case was made. I'm not quite sold on the idea myself, but I like it reasonably well. Better than most, at least.

But yes, Columbus has been 'off' since CHAMBER OF SECRETS.

I must admit I've never thought about any sexist jokes in the film. It's just a straight-up pulpy 80s-style movie. Regardless, there are thankfully critics who not only see movies through the prism of gender, race and representation. I saw the movie about a year ago, and liked it more now than the first time I saw it (when it was relaesed). After reading the article I mentioned earlier, I'm keen to revisit it yet again. If I could only find that damn article!

Once you attach yourself to an Adam Sandler property, you've effectively doomed your career. He's the snake oil salesman of Hollywood. Right now Netflix are happy to pay him, only because (bafflingly) he brings in subscribers.