Michael Giacchino & Nami Melumad's THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER (2022)

Jay

12 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Powell hasn't been with RCP for quite some years now

I think RCP means direct graduate of RCP. Like people still refers to Jackman and Gregson-Williams as RCP composers.

21 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Not really. I was more trying to ask some of the others that, since they sure go quiet when it comes to mentioning any of the other talent that is out there.

Also, good luck convincing anyone here that Klimek and Tykwer have any worth with the "mixed at best" response Matrix Resurrections has gotten so far.

How many times has Klimek and Tykwer been given assignments like a Marvel movie? Let them have their turn. And see what come up with. Same all the other composers I listed.

• 5 months later...

I remember some people in this message board said he didn't have charisma.

Ha! While not every casting in these movies is perfect, they would have crumbled if they weren't able to get some things right.

• 4 weeks later...

Just heard the new released track:

First time I heard it, the theme in that track sounds awfully similar to Lannister's base motif (the motif, not the "main" theme), you can check here:

Maybe a temp track issue?

Although if you have a repeating two notes as a theme, similarities will bound to happen.

So no one is at fault here 😄

I quite like the orchestration with 80s rock style music in the latter half of that track.

Even though it might not extend to full albums/scores, it's rare for Giacchino to not provide something interesting for each film. And this is no exception. I like it!

It’s good, I’m a big fan of him but if you take out a small part that sounds exactly like Spiderman No Way Home the rest sounds 100% like something Zimmer made. Which isn’t a bad thing but just interesting.

Had a blast listening to this!

Loved the opening part. Always like MG in that mode.

When things shifted to that electronic pulse thing though, I was like "oh, no no no, don't ruin the vibe! Damn, I have some editing to do now"

But then the whole thing morphed into some sort of orchestral rock tune and before I could even say "what the what?", that crazy solo e-guitar riff kicked in and... I think I literally froze for the remainder of the music. It was only after the cue finished that I realized I had a huge grin on my face.

38 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

When things shifted to that electronic pulse thing though, I was like "oh, no no no,

Lol. You mean the vibe from the previous film/score?

heh. I tip my hat to MM for the style he brought on to that one. It wasn't the most memorable score in Marvel though. But I think I should revisit it again. It's been ages.

2 hours ago, Counterparts said:

Lol. You mean the vibe from the previous film/score?

I liked that music, which was fitting for the setting.

But it always felt like it was clashing with the more orchestral Asgard stuff..

Though that was less the music's fault and more the fault of the movie's plot.

5 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

Had a blast listening to this!

Loved the opening part. Always like MG in that mode.

When things shifted to that electronic pulse thing though, I was like "oh, no no no, don't ruin the vibe! Damn, I have some editing to do now"

But then the whole thing morphed into some sort of orchestral rock tune and before I could even say "what the what?", that crazy solo e-guitar riff kicked in and... I think I literally froze for the remainder of the music. It was only after the cue finished that I realized I had a huge grin on my face.

This was exactly my experience too!

I keep waiting for it to go into Ben's (the Force) theme.

Well, until 3:06. I do love the synths. This is fun.

The thing that bugs me about Ragnarok is that it pisses all over everything I liked about the Thor movies but it's so damn good that I almost don't mind. The salt in the wound is that the general consensus is that it's the best one.

3 hours ago, Gibster said:

Not me. Have you not heard An American Pickle and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond? They are TERRIFIC...honestly better than most of Giacchino's solo work for many years now, IMO.

Yavar

Gia is getting worse and worse, does he not even bother writing any counterpoint or countermelody these days? Just have your simplistic 2 note phrases played by different parts over and over - with no development no variation no structure no interlude.

Listen to to a track like this - a basic track but with a robust counterpoint to the theme being played lending at least some complexity and interest to the theme.

And it's not one of his "good" scores either.

Actually, in terms of Gia's superhero music, it's below Spiderman and The Incredibles 1 & 2. Let's see how Thor LaT will fit in.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Actually, in terms of Gia's superhero music, it's below Spiderman and The Incredibles 1 & 2. Let's see how Thot LaT will fit in.

:o:unsure:

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

True 😅

Mick got to work on The Batman when MG was busying with recording Spider-Man and Matt Reeves decided to eventually add music to some scenes after vetting the movie later in the process. 

9 minutes ago, Light00 said:

Do we know when the score is released? A few days after the movie's release?

Filmmusicreporter is saying July 6th.

That's on a wendesday. Which would add up, because Dr. Strange was released on a wednesday as well I believe

15 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Filmmusicreporter is saying July 6th.

That's on a wendesday. Which would add up, because Dr. Strange was released on a wednesday as well I believe

Thank you! Trying to not get spoiled by looking things around lol.

I'm kinda excited for a new score coming out despite the MCU scores not really being mindblowing imo, though I did find myself listening to Elfman's ones more than once.

The score releases on Wednesday July 6th.  It is already Wednesday July 6th in many countries.

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/thor-love-and-thunder-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1632659837

01. Mama’s Got a Brand New Hammer (6:11)
02. Just Desert (2:26)
03. Indigarr with the Diva (1:45)
04. The Not Ready for New Asgard Players (1:40)
05. See Jane Thor (1:09)
06. Distressed Out (2:39)
07. Gorr Animals (2:34)
08. A Gorr Phobia (2:09)
09. The Ax Games (1:22)
10. Thorring to New Heights (0:58)
11. Show Intel (2:54)
12. We’re Not Emos We’re Gods (0:52)
13. The Zeus Fanfares (1:27)
14. I Was in the Pool! (2:26)
15. Saving Face (3:10)
16. Utter Lunarcy (1:25)
17. Think on Your Defeat (1:42)
18. Bedside Hammer (1:36)
19. Temple-itis (1:39)
20. Surely, Temple (1:02)
21. The Power of Thor Propels You (2:02)
22. Foster? I Barely Know Her! (3:07)
23. Jane Stop This Crazy Thing (2:53)
24. One Wish to Rule Them All (2:59)
25. All’s Fair in Love and Thor (1:45)
26. Bawl and Jane (1:24)
27. The Kids Are Alright (1:22)
28. The Ballad of Love and Thunder (8:13)

1400x1400bb.webp

I just got done listening to all the samples on the Apple Music link I posted.

I heard a lot of re-treading from prior Giacchino blockbuster scores, especially No Way Home.  That's disappointing.....

But I still look forward to listening to the entire OST album!

almost listened to the full album, pretty disappointed so far. Nothing great for Gor. Besides the guitars theres nothing really in this that you couldn’t listen to in NWH or Lightyear. The sad stuff works

In the track “Jane Stop this crazy thing” there is something at the end that is a 100% copy and paste from now way home with the themes swapped

this phase really only started recently, NWH was the first one I was disappointed with. The Batman is brilliant but is not such a complete score(not alot going on besides the themes) JWD is the worst of the bunch by far

Has anyone posted the tracklist for the OST so far? If not, here it is (warning: Gia's jokes and puns galore):

Spoiler

01. Mama’s Got a Brand New Hammer (6:11)
02. Just Desert (2:26)
03. Indigarr with the Diva (1:45)
04. The Not Ready for New Asgard Players (1:40)
05. See Jane Thor (1:09)
06. Distressed Out (2:39)
07. Gorr Animals (2:34)
08. A Gorr Phobia (2:09)
09. The Ax Games (1:22)
10. Thorring to New Heights (0:58)
11. Show Intel (2:54)
12. We’re Not Emos We’re Gods (0:52)
13. The Zeus Fanfares (1:27)
14. I Was in the Pool! (2:26)
15. Saving Face (3:10)
16. Utter Lunarcy (1:25)
17. Think on Your Defeat (1:42)
18. Bedside Hammer (1:36)
19. Temple-itis (1:39)
20. Surely, Temple (1:02)
21. The Power of Thor Propels You (2:02)
22. Foster? I Barely Know Her! (3:07)
23. Jane Stop This Crazy Thing (2:53)
24. One Wish to Rule Them All (2:59)
25. All’s Fair in Love and Thor (1:45)
26. Bawl and Jane (1:24)
27. The Kids Are Alright (1:22)
28. The Ballad of Love and Thunder (8:13)