AHSOKA - 2023 Star Wars TV

Jay

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Ahh ok.  It does seem like a trend in Star Wars, ever since the prequels, to have important events happen off-screen, for some reason

The way I see it, the reason this happened this time:

The story of Sabine finding Ezra is what Filoni wanted tell (and what fans of Rebels wanted to see)

The stuff about her family dying is just the result of Mando introducing the Purge.

OK, dammit. They need a new Leia. It was nice to see Threepio, but without knowing "We can't use an actor" that was kind of dumb.

It feels like the third part of Robotech where they constantly talked about "Admiral Hunter" knowing he was never going to show up.

Otherwise, that was great! Sabine and Ezra are uncannily like their animated counterparts. I'm getting used to Thrawn. And the show is doing what it needs to with him: "You cannot outsmart Thrawn."

I was glad they didn't slaughter a whole pod of space whales.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Ahsoka 1x05 Shadow Warrior

She just seems to finally be sure of herself, having come to grips that Anakin's turn was not her fault.  Really cool stuff.

She also came to grips with the fact, that just because she was trained by Anakin, following his training wasn't necessarily going to result in her becoming fully like him (turning to the dark side.)

Sometimes I wonder how Williams would've handled scoring Thrawn, and this is probably the closest idea we're ever gonna get to that: 

Also sounds pretty close to Joel McNeeley, if you told me this was from Shadows of the Empire I'd probably believe you

Side-note, I'm getting the issue again where JWFAN's forums are taking an excruciatingly long time to load here in Australia again

That’s actually a pretty rad recording, though I feel like it’s a little busy for a character as calm and calculating as Thrawn was in the books.  Maybe just like a remnant fleet march or something.  It takes some chutzpah to sandwich your original themes in between John Williams Star Wars music, and it doesn’t seem like this fella royally fucked it up!

Still haven’t seen or listened to Ahsoka/Kiner’s take yet.

24 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

Also sounds pretty close to Joel McNeeley, if you told me this was from Shadows of the Empire I'd probably believe you

Yep sounds very heavily inspired by Xizor's Theme.

17 hours ago, mstrox said:

That’s actually a pretty rad recording, though I feel like it’s a little busy for a character as calm and calculating as Thrawn was in the books.  Maybe just like a remnant fleet march or something.  It takes some chutzpah to sandwich your original themes in between John Williams Star Wars music, and it doesn’t seem like this fella royally fucked it up!

Still haven’t seen or listened to Ahsoka/Kiner’s take yet.

Yeah I think it works as an Imperial march style combo of representing the Imperial Remnant but also an individual figure of significance, Vader in the former and now Thrawn in the latter

I like how it has an elegance and sweeping romanticism to it whilst also being quite violent and intimidating, even a hint of melancholy to it as well. I feel like that adequately represents Thrawn. Catchy as hell too, have had it stuck in my head all week

As for Rebels this would probably be the closest representation of his theme. I find it a bit simplistic for my tastes which is an approach that doesn't align very well with such a sophisticated character: 

8 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

As for Rebels this would probably be the closest representation of his theme. I find it a bit simplistic for my tastes which is an approach that doesn't align very well with such a sophisticated character: 

I could never hum it but I think it works very well. I always thought the organ was an interesting choice. It's so stately and, more importantly, inexorable. It's like a duck on the water. It might be very busy under the surface but what's visible (audible) is very calm and simply moving forward.

Also, Thrawn is the evil personification of "work smarter not harder". He never does anything showy.

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Also, Thrawn is the evil personification of "work smarter not harder". He never does anything showy.

In Rebels he is portrayed as practical and coldly efficient, and in the original canon he is portrayed like an artist with quite evocative manoeuvres such as when he fooled one planet into thinking he was able to get past their planetary shields with orbital bombardment

Ahsoka 1x06 Far, Far Away

I found it interesting that they placed the introduction of Thrawn in a slower, scene-setting episode, and not as an exciting reveal as part of an intense episode.  It totally makes sense that after the extreme excitement of episodes 4 and 5, they had to slow down a bit before kicking into the final 2 episodes of the season, and I largely enjoyed what was happening here, even if it was a lot less exciting than recent weeks.

On the surface not much happens in this episode - everyone except Hera arrives at... whatever this planet is called, Sabine gets freed to find Ezra, finds him, but the Sith are in pursuit to kill them both.  But there was a lot of little moments that have a lot to ponder throughout though.

I thought it was really interesting that instead of being mad at Sabine for her betrayal, Ashoka has instead blamed herself for the way she trained Sabine.  That's pretty wild, but fits into the new zen attitude she's had since coming out of the water.  When they arrive and see that the rings of the planet are actually whale bones because the whales migrate there to die, I was left with two questions. One, does that mean all the good guys are now stranded in another galaxy unless they can hitch a ride on the Eye of Scion?  And two, does Dave Filoni not know how biodegrading works!?  There'd be no bacteria or anything in outer space to strip the whales flesh off, they'd just look like whales forever if they died up there, lol.

Baylan had the most interesting stuff in the episode for me.  I have been wondering the whole show what his deal is... evil Jedi, good Jedi turned bad, force-user that doesn't consider himself Jedi or Sith, what?  I found his monologue about the Jedi falling and Empire rising is part of a cycle that happens over and over again, and wanting that to be something he's going to break.  How? Why?  Is Thrawn a part of his plan or an obstacle?  Is he prepared for his apprentice to not feel the same way as him?  Because she doesn't seem to be on board from what I can tell...

It was also interesting that he prevented any harm from coming to Sabine and saw her safely off to find Ezra, but then immediately agreed to kill her and Ezra when Thrawn asked him to.  Hmmm.  Later in the episode when Baylan and Shin find the aftermath of Sabine's tussle with the raiders, he talked about sending some power on the planet.  So curious to learn more about this guy and his plans!  And boy, is it sad that Ray Stevenson passed away, because I'd love to see this character come back in other Star Wars stuff and now he can't :(

Speaking of Sabine, I found her whole journey to reunite with Ezra the least compelling part of the episode.  Her using a lightsaber instead of Mandalorian tactics against the raiders was kind of cool I guess, but they seemed like easy stooges to defeat. The new species she meets was kinda cute, but her reunion with Ezra fell flat for me.  Sure, I haven't seen the cartoon show, and maybe this was amazing for those who have.  But as a non-cartoon watcher, all know is that this guy has been built up in every single episode so far, and Sabine was willing to sacrifice the ENTIRE GALAXY falling under Thrawn's control to reunite with him, so i expected more than what I got here, which was just a weird hug, and Sabine refusing to share what she gave up to be there (and that they have no path home).  Hmmm.

Oh, and there's Thrawn.  I thought he was pretty cool!  He was a lot like I would have expected based on my memory of reading the Thrawn books in the 90s.  I loved all the pomp and circumstance of him coming out to greet everyone, and also that everyone's uniforms are dirty and patched together after being stranded for decades.  I did find it kind of funny that they had to spend 3 days loading cargo off the planet on the Star Destroyer before they could leave, felt like that was just to give time for whatever Sabine/Ezra/Baylan/Shin story they want to tell.  But I am also hella curious about that cargo.  My mind first went to the ysalamiri, like he found them in this galaxy and is bringing tons of them to the main galaxy, but i dunno.  Surely Baylan would have noticed a disturbance in the force?

I liked how it ends with Thrawn wanting to know everything that can be known about Ahsoka.   That's Thrawn!  Can't wait to see what happens next.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ahsoka 1x06 Far, Far Away

And two, does Dave Filoni not know how biodegrading works!?  There'd be no bacteria or anything in outer space to strip the whales flesh off, they'd just look like whales forever if they died up there, lol.

Unless other space creatures eat them and leaves the bones, I guess.

Also, no mention of Evil Minas Tirith heh.

Evil Minas Tirith? 

I got some Stargate vibes from this episode. Traveling at fast speed go another galaxy, where you are just plopped on a nice planet with a breathable atmosphere, natives who know the land and a military force from elsewhere... Plus, the whole part where the Star Destroyer lands on the spire was like Ra's ship landing on the pyramid. 

Well I had planned to watch episode 7 last night so I could write about it today and then watch episode 8 tonight, but alas that didn't happen.  Well, maybe I'll watch 7 and 8 back to back tonight.... we'll see.

I really enjoyed the final episode. There was some really great action and the music was spectecular!

I do feel a bit torn. On the one hand I really love that the main goal of getting Ezra home was a succes. The final moments with Hera, Chopper and Ezra were very sweet.

On the other hand I feel it's not very clever to leave it that open ended. The story isn't done, which I suspected it would. And it's nice to see the bad guys sorta win again. But not to have at least a single tease in the end credits to let us show where we're going next was a shame. Now I guess we have to wait until the Filoni film, but how are we gonna wrap all this up in one film.

Ahsoka & Sabine are stranded but are sorta fine with it. Shin is still angry. Baylan is clearly looking for the source of the Force. 

Hera & Ezra are reunited but Thrawn is back. So a very happy thing overall it's not.

I appreciate the sort of dark ending, but I feel it would've been best to at least show a tint bit of what's next. Is Skeleton Crew in this same timeline? Is Jude Law gonna save everyone?

So I really loved this show. And I love this ending, but I am left with a bit of a down feeling. Ahsoka & Sabine will probably get out of there and all will be fine. But right now there's not much hope and I feel like that's what's Star Wars is all about.

Everything Ezra related made me smile...

And that's about it. I knew there were gonna be stuff pending... wasn't imagining that it would be 80% of the stuff. They shot themselves in the foot by not at least ending things with Baylan, that was the most interesting subplot and they kinda dropped in the last episode after building it for 7 episodes straight, and now Ray is dead.

Thrawn did nothing but lose again, he only managed to escape (but Ezra was still aboard), we still don't know exactly what he wants or what the Night Sisters want, the questions I had are still unanswered, and add to that the feeling of padding in the first 4 episodes... It's kinda frustrating.

I found the reveal of what Ahsoka did to Sabine kinda lame too, not as impactful as what they made me believe. I don't buy it that Sabine wouldn't go to Mandalore unless told otherwise, and that's what I thought Ahsoka did, kept her from helping, since she was colder than usual. But this is mostly a nitpick.

As soon as Elsbeth got witched up I realised this episode was not gonna resolve a lot of things, but I did enjoy her realisation that she was going to be thrown to the wolves, she did all of this for Thrawn and he dumped her "for the empire", that was nice and the best fight Ahsoka had in the entire series (she's finally moving faster!).

I was screaming "do the thing!" when Ezra and Sabine were on the ledge, and was very happy they did the thingy, Ezra mimicking Kanan's lightsaber was great, the walking dead (as I thought they already were) was nice to see in live action, and I wasn't really upset that Ahsoka and Sabine stayed in Peridia, I was upset because the reunion between Ezra and Hera was cut short!

So, enjoyable moments here and there, but the pacing of the first 5 episodes and the lack of conclusion for most of the threads kinda makes this season just OK for me. Certified enjoyable, but kinda annoying. 

12 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

On the other hand I feel it's not very clever to leave it that open ended. The story isn't done, which I suspected it would. And it's nice to see the bad guys sorta win again. But not to have at least a single tease in the end credits to let us show where we're going next was a shame. Now I guess we have to wait until the Filoni film, but how are we gonna wrap all this up in one film.

The film is coming much later; we still don't know if Ahsoka was meant to be a limited series or not (it's never been confirmed). There are also rumors swirling around that a second season was greenlit just as the strike began, so I guess we'll have to see what happens.

For a fan who hasn't watched any animated Star Wars, this all came across as just-about-above-average. And I'm surprising myself saying this after so many tacky  leitmotif callbacks throughout Star Wars... but it could've done with more Force theme!

Pretty hot on the combat. Can't argue with a lightsaber fight in each and every episode. I liked Morgan's fighting style.

Could thrawn’s cargo be the famous spaarti cilinders for fast cloning, From the original thrawn novels….

or something similar

i think the peridia planet may be the origin planet of all force users, jedi sith and witches. And baylan si looking for something to end it all (existence of the force) or to liberate it (democratising the force, which is something the sequels implied with the awakening?)

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I think the peridia planet may be the origin planet of all force users, jedi sith and witches. And baylan si looking for something to end it all (existence of the force) or to liberate it (democratising the force, which is something the sequels implied with the awakening?)

He stood on the statue of The Father & The S9n from that Clone Wars arc. The Daughter wasn't there and The Mother had been lost a long time ago. I feel he might be searching for her

6 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

He stood on the statue of The Father & The S9n from that Clone Wars arc. The Daughter wasn't there and The Mother had been lost a long time ago. I feel he might be searching for her

Was there a Mother? When was this established? (There is a statue of the Daughter... she's just headless.)

11 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Could thrawn’s cargo be the famous spaarti cilinders for fast cloning, From the original thrawn novels….

or something similar

i think the peridia planet may be the origin planet of all force users, jedi sith and witches. And baylan si looking for something to end it all (existence of the force) or to liberate it (democratising the force, which is something the sequels implied with the awakening?)

I think those compartiments are for the Night Sisters and whatever they want.

There's a planet in Clone Wars that is the origin of everything, Yoda goes there in the last arc of Season 6 (4 episodes)

11 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

It was explained in the sixth episode that they're dead Nightsisters.

31 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Was there a Mother? When was this established? (There is a statue of the Daughter... she's just headless.)

I think those compartiments are for the Night Sisters and whatever they want.

"In The Clone Wars, there never was a mention of the Mother. However, in the Legends continuity’s Fate of the Jedi series of novels, this thread from the show was picked up and the Mother was introduced. Since Son and Daughter represented confronting ideals, the Mother was envisioned as a force of chaos to oppose the Father’s balance. 

Being such a destructive force, she was imprisoned by Son and Daughter, until she eventually escaped. Known as Abeloth and becoming more of a cosmic Force horror than something divine"

Overall, it's been a fun show, but for me the best episode by far is episode 5. What came before felt a bit too much of a set up, but I liked the mystery surrounding Baylan and Shin, and the slow build-up to Thrawn. And these last three episodes have been great, and entertaining to watch as a Rebels fan, but I also feel that it could have been better if they didn't had this kind of open ending, especially with the characters of Shin and Baylan, which I felt were thrown aside in the last episode. Morgan's transformation into a witch and her fight with Ahsoka was one of the best parts of the whole show though! Such a cool coreography. And Thrawn's live-action is really great.

I hope they announce a second season or something like that, because right now it kind of feels incomplete and a bit underwhelming, even if entertaining.

7 hours ago, CGCJ said:

Was not expecing this music to be referenced in the final (An unused alternate from the Rebels series 2 final):

Hide contents

It's still a variation of Ahsoka's theme, isn't it?

9 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Everything Ezra related made me smile...

Boy ain't that the truth! He was SO GOOD! And Sabine was almost as good.

I keep saying this and they keep not listening to me. If they're going to set these shows in the center of Republic politics (with Mon Mothma, no less) then the shows have a giant Leia sized hole. Cast a new Leia.

Overall it was just enough win, just enough lose. A fine handful of episodes.

Man, they missed an opportunity to show Sebastian Shaw's force ghost at the end. :D

I agree, Ezra’s character was great in my opinion. Good implementation of humor that didn’t feel forced, and pretty charming. I wouldn’t mind him having his own show, maybe teaming up with our ol’ buddy Mando at some point. 

I liked a good majority of the other characters (Hera & Thrawn I thought were great). Absolutely bored to death whenever Sabine and Ahsoka were onscreen together. 

16 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

"In The Clone Wars, there never was a mention of the Mother. However, in the Legends continuity’s Fate of the Jedi series of novels, this thread from the show was picked up and the Mother was introduced. Since Son and Daughter represented confronting ideals, the Mother was envisioned as a force of chaos to oppose the Father’s balance. 

Being such a destructive force, she was imprisoned by Son and Daughter, until she eventually escaped. Known as Abeloth and becoming more of a cosmic Force horror than something divine"

Oh, Legends. At least it doesn't say she's the "Dark Side" 'cause that wouldn't make sense. At least not with the way I understand the Mortis gods.

Yes, the last episode had good scenes. I just wonder, if that little bit of plot and story is really enough to justify a season. There wasn't really much of a story. 

And yes, all the girls talk between Sabine and Asoka weren't very interesting. Especially as first it is super important that Thrawn doesn't get back. And as he does suddenly it is ok, because Sabine has proven her loyalty to Ahsoka. Really? So, if the actual story of this season was really just the relation between Sabine and Ahsoka, then goodnight. Everything else was more or less just slightly touched or started filled with nostalgic "So good to see you again" moments. Sure, other things happed. They found Ezra, Thrawn returned. But the only story arc across these 8 episodes that I really see currently is the relation between Ahsoka and Sabine. And that's it. Right?

By the way, are we still before the battle of Jakku or after?

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

By the way, are we still before the battle of Jakku or after?

All the live action Filoni-verse shows (Mando, Book of Boba, Ahsoka) take place 5 years after Return of the Jedi.

The sequel trilogy takes place 25 years after Return of the Jedi.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

All the live action Filoni-verse shows (Mando, Book of Boba, Ahsoka) take place 5 years after Return of the Jedi.

The sequel trilogy takes place 25 years after Return of the Jedi.

That I know. I was just wondering when the battle of Jakku takes place. According to Wookiepedia It is about one year after the battle of Endor. And this then has marked the official end of the empire.

That means, whatever Thrawn is going to setup now, it cannot be as big. Otherwise, looking back from the sequels perspective, defeating the empire would not have been dated at the battle of Jakku, but at whatever Thrawn would have setup.

42 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Son is the Dark side

Daughter the Light

Father is Balance

Mother is chaos

That's... not how I understand the Mortis gods, and not how the quotes you posted about the Mother read to me as what they are

I think stories are what’s important, not the Canon - canon needs to be flexible.  Anyway, the New EU folks can easily handwave that  by saying that Thrawn’s reign is not The Empire, but “the new empire” or whatever.

Oh I thought you meant the opening scene of TFA.  I didn't know that "The Battle Of Jakku" was something different >shrug<

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh I thought you meant the opening scene of TFA.  I didn't know that "The Battle Of Jakku" was something different >shrug<

It is the event that officially ended the Galactic Civil War, it was told mostly in the Aftermath series of books and later in Battlefront II's campaign.