Ridley Scott's NAPOLEON (Martin Phipps, 2023)

Thor

28 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Hopefully the movie will have Scott's lighter tone even though the subject might call for a serious epic tone. 

Funny, I was thinking how this would be good done in the style of The Great, the show about Catherine the Great, but I'm guessing it won't be that modernist/absurd (it's a great show, incidentally, mixing hilarious and awful/shocking, brilliant stuff).

I'm gonna have to give Phipps' Brighton Rock another listen as I recall enjoying it considerably. His work on The Crown is generally fine, although I did find some of the music from the last season seemed a bit overwrought at times.

21 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I don't know the composer. What is the best score he's written, to check him out?

As previously alluded to, these are my top 5:

1. BRIGHTON ROCK

2. The Princess

3. The Virgin Queen

4. Victoria

5. Sense & Sensibility

Mostly TV. I dig the film HARRY BROWN, but can't remember much of the score.

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Just watched The Last Duel and thought HGW did a fantastic job.

He did. Abysmal film, but one of the 10 best scores of the year.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Just watched The Last Duel and thought HGW did a fantastic job. He's become a very reliable composer in the last decade or so.

Will be interesting to see who scores the Gladiator sequel, whether Scott goes back to Zimmer.

Last duel is a great score! I still haven’t seen the film though.

I really hope that Zimmer does the Gladiator sequel though I think it’s unlikely.

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2023 at 5:38 AM, Thor said:

As previously alluded to, these are my top 5:

1. BRIGHTON ROCK

2. The Princess

3. The Virgin Queen

4. Victoria

5. Sense & Sensibility

Mostly TV. I dig the film HARRY BROWN, but can't remember much of the score.

I LOVE his Sense & Sensibility… has that ever been released on album in any way, though?

Yavar

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Very excited that this movie will get an exclusive theatrical run -- a film of this scope deserves it. Now we need a trailer!

On 3/4/2023 at 3:29 PM, Bayesian said:

Very excited that this movie will get an exclusive theatrical run -- a film of this scope deserves it. Now we need a trailer!

Really looking forward to this also. The historical epic is pretty much my favourite genre, and Scott has made two of the all-time best (though otherwise he's been hit or miss in the genre). Excited to see what approach he takes with the story.

I wonder how similar and different this Napoleon movie will be from Spielberg's miniseries 

3 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Is that actually happening? 

Yea

22 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

Is Spielberg's based somewhat based off Kubrick?

Yea

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jay said:

Sony Motion Pictures Chairman and CEO Tom Rothman introduced a sequence from Ridley Scott’s Apple TV+ movie, Napoleon at CinemaCon tonight.

The clip shown has Joaquin Phoenix’s title character commanding the French army in a foggy, blurry wintery epic battle with the Russian and Austrian forces. Napoleon knows it’s coming; he has invited the attack. Lots of bayonets slicing and soldiers falling in the icy water. Next to other notable big battle pics like Braveheart and 1917, Napoleon stands apart.

Kinda sounds like it needs Prokofiev to score it...

Napoleon's life seems to large in scope to be well told in a single movie.

Wasn't this supposed to originally be centered around Josephine's life?

6 minutes ago, Romão said:

Napoleon's life seems to large in scope to be well told in a single movie.

Wasn't this supposed to originally be centered around Josephine's life?

What I've read is that the relationship between Napoleon and Josephine is the driving force of the movie's narrative and the (several) battles are effectively Napoleon's version of flowers and mash notes.

You're right that his life and exploits are too much for one movie. But if anyone is going to come close to pulling it off, it's Ridley Scott. I cannot wait for this movie. If it weren't for JW scoring Indy 5, this would easily be what I'm most anticipating this year.

12 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

What I've read is that the relationship between Napoleon and Josephine is the driving force of the movie's narrative and the (several) battles are effectively Napoleon's version of flowers and mash notes.

You're right that his life and exploits are too much for one movie. But if anyone is going to come close to pulling it off, it's Ridley Scott. I cannot wait for this movie. If it weren't for JW scoring Indy 5, this would easily be what I'm most anticipating this year.

Thing is, Ridley is so damn unreliable. He was able to elevate a quite lackluster script in Gladiator (the central performance also helped tremendously and did a lot of the heavy lifting). but for the most part, I tend to think he's as good as the script

29 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Isn't Scott, like, the only guy still doing period epics for the last 15 years? Kingdom of Heaven, Robin Hood, Exodus, The Last Duel...

He sure is! And we're not going to disappoint him this time, like we did with Last Duel, are we?? We're going to plunk our ticket-buying asses into those recliner-loungers for Napoleon come Thanksgiving, dammit.

No!

Knowing Ridley Scott as I do, the Theatrical Release will have a running time of a meager 90 minutes, so we better wait for the Blu-ray 4K which will feature the Director's Cut.  

Scorsese's new movie is also coming out by Apple TV and it's over 3 hours long, so I don't think they will force Scott to edit his movie to a 120-150 minute runtime. 

Worst case scenario it'll become a 5-episode minisseries :lol:

20 minutes ago, AC1 said:

No!

Knowing Ridley Scott as I do, the Theatrical Release will have a running time of a meager 90 minutes, so we better wait for the Blu-ray 4K which will feature the Director's Cut.  

It’s interesting that with Kingdom of Heaven, Scott says that the extended cut is his vision whereas in the case of Gladiator, he says that the theatrical version is his vision while the extended was something that the producers wanted. I agree with him.

No discussion, KOH is the directors cut. Don't even try to watch the normal one.

Here, well. Scott is unreliable but he gets top performance from composers despite their appropriateness. Phipps will be whatever Scott asks him to do. He was very likely hired on the premise of these tracks:

I watched the theatrical version of KoH on whichever service I'd signed up to for a month (probably Disney+) and really enjoyed it. I then bought the Blu-ray based on the strength of it, and knowing the consensus that the director's cut is better.

Gladiator... also have the BD with the extended cut an skimmed through it once to see what they'd done musically. Theatrical edition seemed the better one to me.

• 2 months later...

According to a listing on South Korea’s official rating board website, Ridley Scott’s next directorial project reportedly holds a total running time of 157 minutes and 43 seconds. The film is currently slated to arrive in theaters on November 22, followed by its streaming debut on Apple TV+.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1300150-napoleon-runtime-revealed-for-ridley-scott-and-joaquin-phoenix-movie

10 minutes ago, Courtney said:

Wow the more you know. LMFAO

I'm not saying it's something official or anything, just speculating. But yeah, the release dates seem to match: CR2 is coming out in mid-December, Napoleon in late November. So I do believe that was the reasons (or at least one of them) for HGW not doing Napoleon. 

That said, Scott usually likes to change composers and try someone new once in a while, so perhaps he just wanted a fresh sound?

23 minutes ago, Courtney said:

Makes me wonder who will score Gladiator 2.

I imagine it'll be someone associated with Remote Control in order to keep the general sound of the first movie. Maybe Marc Streintenfeld? He hasn't appeared in a while.

Two things: 1) Thank the great good God above that Zimmer had nothing to do with this film. 2) HGW, did you really step away from a Ridley Scott epic on Napoleon of all historical figures to score the sequel to a kiddie flick about a chicken??

Happy to learn Martin Phipps is on this project. He probably had a lot of time considering how much The Crown has been reusing the wonderful he's done for the series. Honestly, that's a shame…

If you don't know Phipps, I'd recommend Brighton Rock and The Railway Children Returns he co-wrote with Edward Farmer. The first one is quite bleak and emotional restrained, the second is a pure English adventure type of music, full of jolly themes and colorful bits.

6 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Two things: 1) Thank the great good God above that Zimmer had nothing to do with this film. 2) HGW, did you really step away from a Ridley Scott epic on Napoleon of all historical figures to score the sequel to a kiddie flick about a chicken??

Have you seen the original Chicken Run? It’s an excellent film, and it was a key stepping stone in HGW’s career even though he co-scored it with Powell.

In contrast Ridley Scott doesn’t have the greatest track record of treating composers well, and I’d say despite a couple masterpieces, more than half of his films are… not good.

Yavar