John Williams to conduct at the 2023 Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival in Matsumoto, Japan (Sept. 2, 2023)

BuzzLightyear

48 minutes ago, pete said:

I've not heard yet from my friend whose wife applied on my behalf. Don't want to bother him, so still playing the waiting game! 

@pete, good luck mate 👍🏻

Just scouring all posts on Facebook in Japanese… looks like a lot of people missed out.

Or people who won aren’t talking about it since it’s “un-Japanese” to brag… or so I’m told 😂

No luck for me. Oh well, it would have been an expensive weekend coming soon after a month of travelling. It would have been worth it though! I'll just have to be content with a LTP performance of The Fellowship of the Ring the week before in Seoul. That'll be my summer film music concert fix. 

So disappointed to see this many people missing out on tickets.

Certainly doesn't bode well for Tokyo, which would be the only reason I'd come to Japan now. I've basically given up hope on securing tickets.

This lottery thing is strange.....is it a Japanese thing, or do other orchestras use the same strategy other places in the world?

15 hours ago, AOP said:

According to local media here, there was a 1 in 14 chance of winning the ticket lottery… 😭

A 7% chance... I didn't think my chances had been that low! 

1 in 14, so enough people applied for 14 concerts. Come on Johnny, 14 concerts in two days, you can do it!

19 hours ago, Thor said:

This lottery thing is strange.....is it a Japanese thing, or do other orchestras use the same strategy other places in the world?

I don’t think it’s a Japanese thing.

I think they anticipated huge demand, so they just wanted to make it fair. If it was a first come, first served system then I’m sure heaps of people wouldn’t have been able to get a ticket because of being at work, etc.

• 2 months later...

Not that this will help anyone get closer to getting a concert ticket, but a video recording of “The Matsumoto concert” will be shown on September 3 on large screens in two Matsumoto city venues a day after the concert. I guess that means it’s being recorded 😊

But a one day turnaround from the concert to having the video/audio edited and shown… not sure what quality to expect!

Full article in Japanese:

https://www.ozawa-festival.com/news/2023/08/08/140000.html

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 9:06 AM, Thor said:

My brother experienced something similar at Universal Studios Japan.

There was a lottery system in place to let people into the new 'Super Nintendo World', and he and my nephew were lucky enough to get selected.

12 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The September 9 concert is being recorded in video and made available through DG's Stage+

So which concert will be recorded? The 2nd or 5th September concert?

This news item [implies] confirms that the concert on the 2nd September (Kissei Bunka Hall) will [also] be broadcast / recorded:

2023OMF Orchestra Concert Program B in Taiwan - to be held this year, too! | OMF News | Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival (ozawa-festival.com)

Screen Concert Taiwan .jpg

2 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

This news item implies that the concert on the 2nd September (Kissei Bunka Hall) will also be broadcast / recorded:

2023OMF Orchestra Concert Program B in Taiwan - to be held this year, too! | OMF News | Seiji Ozawa Matsumoto Festival (ozawa-festival.com)

Right, we knew that thanks to this post:

On 08/08/2023 at 8:34 AM, AOP said:

Not that this will help anyone get closer to getting a concert ticket, but a video recording of “The Matsumoto concert” will be shown on September 3 on large screens in two Matsumoto city venues a day after the concert. I guess that means it’s being recorded 😊

But a one day turnaround from the concert to having the video/audio edited and shown… not sure what quality to expect!

Full article in Japanese:

https://www.ozawa-festival.com/news/2023/08/08/140000.html

~

18 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The September 9 concert is being recorded in video and made available through DG's Stage+

Isn't the September 9 stream, a stream of the September 5 concert?

Williams is only conducting on Sep 2 and Sep 5, right?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Isn't the September 9 stream, a stream of the September 5 concert?

Williams is only conducting on Sep 2 and Sep 5, right?

Yes, right. I was messing up the dates already, sorry.

So to summarize:

Sep 2 concert is being recorded, broadcast in Japan on Sep 3

Sep 5 concert is being recorded, broadcast on Stage+ on Sep 9

No word yet on a physical media release, but both are more likely than not since the step of them being recorded to begin with is already confirmed.

3 hours ago, Steve said:

I doubt that it will be released physically. All the titles are already either on the Vienna or Berlin records.

No, there are not: 

Sound the Bells!
Tributes! (For Seiji)

Suite from "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial"
  Three Million Light Years from Home
  Stargazers
Three Selections from "Harry Potter 

Fawkes the Phoenix

Theme from "Schindler’s List"

And possibly "Helena's Theme" as one of the encores. 

I secretly hope that John will change or add something to the program in Japan. We don't really need "The Rebellion is Reborn", "Princess Leia's Theme" or Suite from "Far & Away" on blu-ray again.

But even without any changes to the program, a physical release of one of these concerts is absolutely justified.

8 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

No, there are not: 

Sound the Bells!
Tributes! (For Seiji)

Suite from "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial"
  Three Million Light Years from Home
  Stargazers
Three Selections from "Harry Potter 

Fawkes the Phoenix

Theme from "Schindler’s List"

And possibly "Helena's Theme" as one of the encores. 

I secretly hope that John will change or add something to the program in Japan. We don't really need "The Rebellion is Reborn", "Princess Leia's Theme" or Suite from "Far & Away" on blu-ray again.

But even without any changes to the program, a physical release of one of these concerts is absolutely justified.

Ok, Fawkes was recorded and released from Vienna II. Makes four pieces. I would welcome and surely buy it. But I can also see a Japan only release. Let's see! At least we have the stream.

Btw I wouldn't mind another recording of Far and Away. However the Berlin verison is hard to top, if even possible. 

Just now, Steve said:

Ok, Fawkes was recorded and released from Vienna II. Makes four pieces. I would welcome and surely buy it. But I can also see a Japan only release. Let's see! At least we have the stream.

Yes, Fawkes and Sound the Bells, but only as an audio. We're talking about the filmed version here. So, six pieces, possibly seven.  

2 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Yes, Fawkes and Sound the Bells, but only as an audio. We're talking about the filmed version here. So, six pieces, possibly seven.  

Yes, but three of them conducted by Deneve, not Williams himself. Lets see first how well the orchestra plays, in the stream. Then we can see if a release would make sense at all 😄

11 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

From what I have seen in the past, Japan seems to be the global centre of the western classical music industry. I think Japan will be producing very fine releases of these historical events.

Italy failed.

Fail indeed.

To date, is the Milan concert the last concert that JW conducted the entire program himself? 

34 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I am getting nervous although I'm not in Japan. It's that cancellation trauma from 2018...

To be honest, me too. 

Flying to Japan, getting over jet lag, then conducting 2 concerts at his age cannot be easy, so I imagine most people would want to come a few days early.

But nothing online so far proves that he’s here yet.

I hope to be proven wrong!!

3 minutes ago, AOP said:

To be honest, me too. 

Flying to Japan, getting over jet lag, then conducting 2 concerts at his age cannot be easy, so I imagine most people would want to come a few days early.

But nothing online so far proves that he’s here yet.

I hope to be proven wrong!!

Is this the first Williams concert that you attend?

Well he managed to fly to Europe 4 times in the past 3,5 years. So no worries 😀

31 minutes ago, Steve said:

Is this the first Williams concert that you attend?

Well he managed to fly to Europe 4 times in the past 3,5 years. So no worries 😀

It will be the third time 😊

(or fourth if you include the LSO concert that he pulled out of at the eleventh hour - and hence my concern this time!)

I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl and Milan concert last year.

Honestly had never expected him to come to Japan!

Just now, AOP said:

It will be the third time 😊

I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl and Milan concert last year.

Honestly had never expected him to come to Japan!

Well then at this point you have nothing to lose. Everything is a bonus.