Why are there no recordings of any live to projection scores available?

GerateWohl

Assuming that there is a market for re-recordings of film scores, I think it would be so easy to just record the live to projection scores with one of the performing orchestras. The effort would be managable.

Any Idea? Or would I be the only one interested in something like that?

You want to listen to an album of an orchestra performing a score with the movie sound effects and dialogue also present, along with audience noise too?

Conductors fly into these cities and do one rehearsal with these orchestra before they perform 1, maybe 2 shows for an audience and then the conductor is off to the next gig.  You want them to find time while he's there to do an additional entire additional performance with no audience just to be recorded?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

You want to listen to an album of an orchestra performing a score with the movie sound effects and dialogue also present, along with audience noise too?

That's why I bought the E.T. 2-disc DVD set which included the LTP, 21 years ago ;)

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Conductors fly into these cities and do one rehearsal with these orchestra before they perform 1, maybe 2 shows for an audience and then the conductor is off to the next gig.  You want them to find time while he's there to do an additional entire additional performance with no audience just to be recorded?

If you are worried about the schedule, a genius of a tour manager could plan one day dedicated for the recording without LTP performance. I am confident, that this is possible.

But anyway, the idea is basically just to have an easy way to get a recording of the live to projection arrangements done. 

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

No. I don't want a live recording. I want a pure performance of the orchestra from a separate session.

Why not just a standard re-recording like Intrada, Tadlow, etc. have issued? The LTP would have the cuts made for the film and generally omit cues dropped from the film (though occasionally some music is restored for LTPs).

28 minutes ago, ymenard said:

On a similar note, I would really love to have a concert experience where there are no movie sound dialogue/sfx, just a silent movie with subtitles and the orchestra playing.  Just imagine going to the concert hall, watching TESB done that way!!! :o

That is my dream scenario for a Star Wars or Harry Potter or Indiana Jones live to projection concert.

53 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

That is my dream scenario for a Star Wars or Harry Potter or Indiana Jones live to projection concert.

For the future of classical music, we've had our first baby steps in the past half decade with all those private companies (Cineconcerts, FilmConcertsLive, GMA, etc..) doing live-to-projection concerts.  The audience has embrassed this.

Now we even have the NY Philarmonic who is doing Herrmann's Vertigo next year.  This is another baby step.

In the future, perhaps the movie itself won't be necessary anymore, we could have a complete TESB score with only the music (no click-track situation) instead of only doing suites or smaller compositions like the Asteroid Chase.   Anyway it will be tested one day, to consider some movie soundtracks as full symphonies.

2 hours ago, ymenard said:

On a similar note, I would really love to have a live concert experience where there are no movie sound dialogue/sfx, just a silent movie projected with subtitles and the orchestra playing.  Just imagine going to the concert hall, watching TESB done that way!!! :o

That would be a dream. And it would be no longer needed to replicate some edits in the music to maintain synch with the moving picture. Just a complete performance of the music as written and recorded, regardless of the movie itself. At most, they could project some still pictures of the scene, just to give some members of audience bearings of what sort of thing the music is supposed to accompany 

11 minutes ago, Romão said:

How come?

If I understand correctly, what you propose would take away the opportunity to see the subtleties of how the score syncs up, without distractions, for example when I did my restored isolated score of Temple of Doom with the Nightclub Brawl, you can see how the horn motive represents the antidote

Looks like the next best thing is to attend a rehearsal of a LTP concert where there's no film-audio.  I’ve seen orchestras offer invites to rehearsals of classical concerts—called 'open rehearsals'.  Some venues charge admission, while others are open to only the donors for the orchestra.  I’ve never seen one done for an LTP concert.  I thought us film-music fans were in on a breakthrough when I saw this from Tanglewood on an open rehearsal for a Harry Potter LTP concert…

On 02/02/2023 at 6:45 AM, SyncMan said:

Temp 1.png

Open Rehearsal: Keith Lockhart conducts Harry Potter and the… | BSO

When I saw, 'Open Rehearsal', I am thinking, "Wow, finally a chance to hear even portions of this score without the film's sound."

Then I saw the time--August 26 at 10:30am--that is the morning of the show.

During my research into this, that schedule suggests that it is the last rehearsal before the show--the dress rehearsal where the orchestra would work with the film's sound, projection and all the technical stuff (the house lights, the click-track, etc).  Still, I'm very surprised that the orchestra-administration would invite the public to any rehearsal of a LTP concert.

I would like to be wrong on whether that rehearsal would have the film's sound with the music playing.  Jay, since Boston is your side of the street, maybe you can check-it out for us.

…but the link is dead and this event is no longer in the Tangelwood schedule.

The Hollywood Bowl is legend for free access to their rehearsals.  You can try attending a rehearsal of a LTP concert—there’s 'Psycho', 'Harry Potter...Deadly Hallows', '2001', 'SW:ROTJ', going on this summer.

I was afraid I sounded like a broken record on this topic so I've refrained from comment. I have no problem with the picture. That's pretty cool. I don't like the dialog and sound FX.

But as I've understood it, these things as they are are massively popular.

5 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

If I understand correctly, what you propose would take away the opportunity to see the subtleties of how the score syncs up, without distractions, for example when I did my restored isolated score of Temple of Doom with the Nightclub Brawl, you can see how the horn motive represents the antidote

I get what you mean and I agree to an extent, but the thing is most of the movies do have micro edits in the soundtrack to ensure the synching of image and music, and this is done invariably at the expense of the musical flow.

It's a shame not to hear all the music for the Hoth scenes prior to the battle in the ESB.

The best option would be to actually edit the movie to accompany the music and not the other way around

3 hours ago, Romão said:

It's a shame not to hear all the music for the Hoth scenes prior to the battle in the ESB.

The best option would be to actually edit the movie to accompany the music and not the other way around

I agree with the second sentence but not great example, most of the Hoth music syncs up perfectly fine, it was just dialed out.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

That's watching a video. I said listen to an album. 

Well they could release them as alternate audio tracks on a Blu-ray release of the films, couldn't they?

13 hours ago, ymenard said:

In the future, perhaps the movie itself won't be necessary anymore

Or one day perhaps everyone has glasse/earbuds that feed the film image and overlayed dialogue/FX VR-style while still allowing the orchestra to be seen and heard. Those that prefer the pure music experience simply don't put their devices on.

16 hours ago, ymenard said:

On a similar note, I would really love to have a live concert experience where there are no movie sound dialogue/sfx, just a silent movie projected with subtitles and the orchestra playing.  Just imagine going to the concert hall, watching TESB done that way!!! :o

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Or one day perhaps everyone has glasse/earbuds that feed the film image and overlayed dialogue/FX VR-style while still allowing the orchestra to be seen and heard. Those that prefer the pure music experience simply don't put their devices on.

Exactly this idea came to my mind at my last LtP concert! (RotJ in January, with much too loud sound effects for a reverberant concert hall) - Provide open-ear earbuds (so the orchestra still comes through clearly when put on) attached to devices with audio track selection - that way anyone can choose to hear the sfx and/or original/dubbed dialogue track according to their preference - or just take it off and enjoy the score, unamplified (depending on venue). This would also help too keep dialogue/sfx dry instead of reverberating through the hall.

One can dream...

This would be fantastic, and it would allow a recording of the live performance without dialogue and FX (albeit with audience noise but I guess good mic placement could mitigate some of that).