The Jerry Goldsmith Companion - Celebrating a Musical Legend by Jeff Bond

Insane that this reached goal within several hours of launching, and crossed the 200% mark well before it was even *supposed* to launch today (around 15 minutes from now, lol!)

So glad to see this much support!

Yavar

10 minutes ago, Romão said:

Is there an option to buy more than one copy?

You can select extra copies after choosing your pledge level. Same price and shipping rates as for your primary/pledge order, from what I've seen.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You can select extra copies after choosing your pledge level. Same price and shipping rates as for your primary/pledge order, from what I've seen.

It seems that if you order the Hardcover edition, you can get the Softcover edition at a reduced price and shipping

6 minutes ago, Romão said:

It seems that if you order the Hardcover edition, you can get the Softcover edition at a reduced price and shipping

Ah, nice. One hardcover copy is enough for me though. :)

I was pleased that I was able to order both a physical and e-book.

The cover photo of the "modern" Jerry needs to be fixed-- he did not suddenly become left-handed!

I backed the hardcover. 

I agree the flopped cover image should be fixed. That’s pretty glaring. 

Taylor White of Creature Features replied to someone on Facebook on that, “our policy is to quietly make notes and do our best to integrate any fix-it's into our production pipeline.  In the case of the Volume 2 cover art, it's being redone at great expense, though yes, it's a bit surprising how vitriolic the fans can get.”

Yavar

I mean yeah, I get their point, but it’s being purchased by the fans at great expense too. It works both ways.  No vitriol from me, but it’s a handsome pair of books that should look their finest on a shelf, good enough to display with the covers facing out. 

10 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

Really looking forward to this. Hopefully one day something similar is done for Williams.

I doubt a Kickstarter will be required for that... 

6 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

In the case of the Volume 2 cover art, it's being redone at great expense

They have $40,000 extra dollars at their disposal so I think they will be fine.

4 minutes ago, Skelly said:

Currently, they're at $59,256 by 469 backers. Assuming, just as an average, that each of the 469 backers has pledged for a hardcover copy, those physical copies cost 469 x $75 = $35,175. That means they have about $24k extra, not $40k.

(Should still be enough to fix the cover I suppose. I remember the left handed/mirrored bug being mentioned months ago already when they first showed the covers on the web)

6 hours ago, Cindylover1969 said:

I doubt a Kickstarter will be required for that... 

Frankly I don’t think a Kickstarter was required for THIS in retrospect, but sometimes if you’re the one footing the bill it’s nice to have the money in hand beforehand.

3 hours ago, Skelly said:

Haha agreed. But why quote that as if it was me saying it, when I was quoting Taylor?

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Currently, they're at $59,256 by 469 backers. Assuming, just as an average, that each of the 469 backers has pledged for a hardcover copy, those physical copies cost 469 x $75 = $35,175. That means they have about $24k extra, not $40k.

(Should still be enough to fix the cover I suppose. I remember the left handed/mirrored bug being mentioned months ago already when they first showed the covers on the web)

hardcover edition = $95

softcover edition = $75

digital edition = $45

text only edition = $35

Kickstarter says how many people took each option so you can actually calculate this much more accurately if you’re so inclined.

Yavar

17 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Kickstarter says how many people took each option so you can actually calculate this much more accurately if you’re so inclined.

True. I was mainly pointing out that contrary to what people often think, the difference between the Kickstarter goal and the actual total pledge amount isn't entirely net income for the people behind the project. (Depending on the rewards and pledge levels, more people could even mean more relative costs)

Glad to contribute (with the LLL 25% discount which will doubtless come in handy in... I dunno, November time?), albeit more in a "I would definitely have bought this anyway" kind of way. Given how much it's raised, hope it's not squeezed everyone's pockets too much resulting in the next recording Kickstarter struggling.

Jeff Bond and I are mortal enemies, so I'm not sure I should get this book. Well, not really, but I think I've been on his ignore list on FSM for the last 20 years or so, although we're connected on Facebook. I'd love to get a proper Goldsmith book, though, and this might be it.

29 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

True. I was mainly pointing out that contrary to what people often think, the difference between the Kickstarter goal and the actual total pledge amount isn't entirely net income for the people behind the project. (Depending on the rewards and pledge levels, more people could even mean more relative costs)

Sure, and that doesn’t even take into account many other costs including Kickstarter taking a generous cut for themselves. But still, things are looking pretty good for Taylor White of Creature Features… maybe he’ll even have enough money from this to reboot his awesome Percepto soundtrack label. ;) 

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'd love to get a proper Goldsmith book, though, and this might be it.

I think it will perfectly appeal to your brand of completionism, Thor. Every Goldsmith score is discussed (every one that Jeff had access to while writing the book, that is… “new” TV and radio scores do continue to turn up!) But some scores (Alien, Legend, Star Trek: The Motion Picture) get a full lengthy chapter because of the degree of information known about them, while others like obscure radio scores might just get a paragraph (but that’s more than most people would write about them).

Yavar

Sounds brilliant. I'm not a Goldsmith completist, but I love to read complete overviews of careers (of the artists I love). For example, I dug the FSM Buyer's Guide on Goldsmith, even though I have no intention of getting all of the titles mentioned.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Sounds brilliant. I'm not a Goldsmith completist, but I love to read complete overviews of careers (of the artists I love). For example, I dug the FSM Buyer's Guide on Goldsmith, even though I have no intention of getting all of the titles mentioned.

Right, and Jeff's descriptions might give you a better idea of new ones to explore that might fit your tastes, as well as possibly letting you know which scores you'd be less interested in.

Yavar

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Jeff Bond and I are mortal enemies

Wow, anything you feel comfortable sharing?  I hope that's partially in jest.

I don't have any enemies, and don't plan on making any.  Especially from the same hobby.

10 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Right, and Jeff's descriptions might give you a better idea of new ones to explore that might fit your tastes, as well as possibly letting you know which scores you'd be less interested in.

Yavar

I have a feeling many of us will regret not being Goldsmith completists after reading about scores that are OOP now.

38 minutes ago, Andy said:

Wow, anything you feel comfortable sharing?  I hope that's partially in jest.

I think it was almost fully in jest, since Thor followed up with:

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Well, not really, but I think I've been on his ignore list on FSM for the last 20 years or so, although we're connected on Facebook. I'd love to get a proper Goldsmith book, though, and this might be it.

I suspect Jeff just blocked him on FSM because he got tired of seeing Thor post endlessly about expansions being bad. That's perfectly valid, and they can still be FB friends.

40 minutes ago, Andy said:

I don't have any enemies, and don't plan on making any.  Especially from the same hobby.

Steer clear of the FSM board then, lol...

41 minutes ago, Andy said:

I have a feeling many of us will regret not being Goldsmith completists after reading about scores that are OOP now.

Possible, sure, but Goldsmith scores often get reissued eventually. And I hope that eventually more of them will make it onto streaming services.

Yavar

On 17/05/2023 at 4:57 PM, Edmilson said:

Bond vs Thor: Dawn of OSTs

They'd have resolved their differences and teamed up to go after... um... I don't know... the head of Naxos for ruining Varese Sarabande?

Now we know how RUDY felt!

Taylor WhiteCreator
May 19, 2023

We have been live for 72 hours, and have already met our goal by 350%. Please excuse our dazed expressions, but we are humbled and grateful for your support. And to make it all the more bewildering, the folks at Kickstarter have named us a “project we love.” Hence the shiny graphic attached.

This is a testament to the enthusiasm we all feel for our favorite composer. This overwhelming start encourages us to consider other ways that we might make the book an even greater tribute to our maestro. Watch for further developments in the weeks ahead, and please share this campaign with everyone you can, any way you can, so that we can better celebrate the legacy of Jerry Goldsmith.

Use the rest for a re-recording?! Dunno what the rules on Kickstarter for changing your original investment thesis... (although didn't know about the Naxos/Varese thing, but as a classical label, Naxos is a bloody marvel).

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple ideas regarding the use of the extra money from backers... I don't expect much more then the already exciting read, but I hope one of these ideas will reach Jeff's ears and get him interested.

1- invest in a more prestige looking print of the cover. Here is what I mean by that:

- instead of having the simulated gold on the letters and side of the books, why not use real golden ink.

- And why not have the title and Jeff's name embossed? (see mockup below)
image.png

2- How about translating the book in French, Spanish, Chinese, Portuguese, etc?...

I like that idea. 

I’d  realllly like a print or lithograph of Jerry Goldsmith.  Either a promotional photo or the Bob Peak painting of him. 

13 hours ago, Andy said:

I like that idea. 

I’d  realllly like a print or lithograph of Jerry Goldsmith.  Either a promotional photo or the Bob Peak painting of him. 

Not sure if Peak ever made one, but Gary Kester did one (a tad on the busy side, but still):

page_1.jpg

Ah yes, that one. I've seen that before. Was it used as a cover for some Goldsmith concert in Japan or something?

@Thor Gary Kester has done another less busy print of Goldsmith.  This isn’t my photo, but I have all three of these. 

IMG_8225.jpeg

All things being equal, I would love a print of the Peak since it’s pretty iconic, it’s Bob Peak, and well, I already own the print above. 

• 9 months later...

Does anyone know how to contact these people? I had card issues at the time of charging last year, contacted them and they suggested PayPal, which I did. I received confirmation they received payment, also I was later able to confirm my correct name to use in the Backers list. However, I never received the mailing address confirmation email, nor have I been given access to the digital editions. I was an In Like Jerry level. I have emailed and messaged via Kickstarter, but I can't comment directly on the project's Kickstarter site as I'm technically not in the system as a Backer. I am still waiting for a reply to any of my communications. I've been looking forward to these books for a long time. Thank you! 

First thing I did was go to the thank you section and make sure my name was spelled correctly. 😄

21 minutes ago, Ollie said:

First thing I did was go to the thank you section and make sure my name was spelled correctly. 😄

Good idea. I'm almost exactly four lines above you. ;)

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

cfeatures@me.com

Yavar

Already emailed that one, plus creaturesales@gmail.com.

I have a feeling I'm just going to be SOL, and I ain't talking bout the Satellite Of Love. Oh, well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Mr. Jeff Bond was kind enough to help me with the digital versions (thank you!). As for the physical copies, I am a lot less concerned after an update via Kickstarter... It looks like those address-verification emails won't go out until the books are actually printed. So no need to worry about not getting that email yet. 

(On a 99%-unrelated note... In my brand new original novel, the main character has two good friends, Jerry Willems and Johnny Goldschmidt... :dance: Johnny is a bit more reserved, Jerry is a bit more brash. Well, I enjoyed writing it anyway. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone who did the kickstarter and has a copy read it yet? I read it voraciously over the last week and really enjoyed it. Don’t really know quite how much to write as I don’t want to spoil any of the interesting nuggets included (although not much I didn’t know already) for those who haven’t got a copy yet! Still overall a fascinating read and makes you want to listen to all of his scores again. 

On 11/04/2024 at 11:01 PM, IheartMelissaBenoist said:

On a 99%-unrelated note... In my brand new original novel, the main character has two good friends, Jerry Willems and Johnny Goldschmidt... :dance: Johnny is a bit more reserved, Jerry is a bit more brash. Well, I enjoyed writing it anyway. :D

Self-published, in the adult section on amazon?

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Has anyone who did the kickstarter and has a copy read it yet? I read it voraciously over the last week and really enjoyed it. Don’t really know quite how much to write as I don’t want to spoil any of the interesting nuggets included (although not much I didn’t know already) for those who haven’t got a copy yet! Still overall a fascinating read and makes you want to listen to all of his scores again. 

I'm religiously waiting to have the real thing in my hands before reading it.

Don't spoil please. Or maybe create a new thread for those who read it already?

1 hour ago, Steffromuk said:

I'm religiously waiting to have the real thing in my hands before reading it.

Don't spoil please. Or maybe create a new thread for thise who read it already?

I’ll wait until it’s out in hard copy. In fairness there’s little we don’t know already but I’m not in a rush! I wish it had a bit more about the new recordings he did in the 90s but that’s the only thing I feel it could have done in greater detail. 

Any of you backed this book with rewards? I am one of the GOLDSMITH AT FOX backers and I am very stranged because I had received nothing yet, even thought they said in #25 update that "rewards were being pre-packed for mailing in mid-to-late February".

Then in last #28 update (just for backers) they said "regarding the recent shipments from the various reward tiers, all orders are now enroute and should reach you in early to mid April".

Nothing has arrived yet and I am confused about it. I have no tracking number neither (been asking for it as that would make customs thing easily in my country) and had been asking for info on this issue at Creatures Features email but they don't reply me. It is very confusing and I can't understand this.

So, anybody is in my same position or did received the rewards? That would be very helpful to know. Thanks in advance, pals.

1 hour ago, Juanki said:

Any of you backed this book with rewards? I am one of the GOLDSMITH AT FOX backers and I am very stranged because I had received nothing yet, even thought they said in #25 update that "rewards were being pre-packed for mailing in mid-to-late February".

Then in last #28 update (just for backers) they said "regarding the recent shipments from the various reward tiers, all orders are now enroute and should reach you in early to mid April".

Nothing has arrived yet and I am confused about it. I have no tracking number neither (been asking for it as that would make customs thing easily in my country) and had been asking for info on this issue at Creatures Features email but they don't reply me. It is very confusing and I can't understand this.

So, anybody is in my same position or did received the rewards? That would be very helpful to know. Thanks in advance, pals.

I didn’t have that level although mine included a 25% off voucher at LLL which I don’t think I’ve had (and had forgotten about until I double checked to answer your post!). 

On 24/04/2024 at 1:16 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Self-published, in the adult section on amazon?

Yes (he said embarrassedly)

22 hours ago, Juanki said:

I backed at In Like Jerry. The latest update I found is in the Comments section of their Kickstarter, around April 10, from "Collaborator" Joe Sikoryak:

Hey Everyone! No need to worry about your mailing addresses yet. We are supposed to get a backer survey WHEN the books are ready—and since they apparently haven't been printed yet, there's still time.

To repeat: Don't worry about your mailing address until the publisher tells us the books have been printed.

So I'm relieved somewhat, but still nervous because of my weird payment situation/debacle (long story). :unsure:

On 24/04/2024 at 3:59 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

I’ll wait until it’s out in hard copy. In fairness there’s little we don’t know already but I’m not in a rush! I wish it had a bit more about the new recordings he did in the 90s but that’s the only thing I feel it could have done in greater detail. 

Same here, waiting for the hard copy. I did manage to get the digital volumes, but there's just something about reading an actual physical book.