Danny Elfman's NIGHTBREED (1990) - 2024 Intrada

Jay

9 hours ago, Romão said:

I do enjoy the original CD (probably even more the suite on Music for a Darkened Theater). Is much music missing?

Lots. I rewatched the theatrical cut last night for the first time in around 13 years and I was surprised by how much was missing. The music for Decker's killing scenes is missing, along with the cue for Boone getting run over, the build-up to 'Meat for the Beast', the cue for when the police torture one of the breed, a very strange cue for when the priest meets Baphomet and lots of bombastic action from the last half hour (including a cue by Shirley Walker and, significantly, the fight between Boone and Decker).

I think it's a cool, flawed, movie.  I prefer it to any other Clive Barker.  But I like monsters, so..

This is a great and under appreciated score for a similarly wonderful film (especially Barker's 2.5 hour director's cut that makes the LGBTQ+ politics of the narrative very brilliantly explicit).

The score is from Elfman's prime era, where this track especially rocks in that idiosyncratic 90s way

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Elfman put a 7 minute suite of Nightbreed music on the album "Music For A Darkened Theater"

Since my initial comment I’ve remembered it and that I have that album, so I do know what the score is like. And it’s made me want the new CD even more.

Nightbreed is notable for being perhaps Elfman's only foray into straight horror territory. Lots of movies he's scored have elements of horror, but they're often paired with fantasy or comedy elements. Parts of Nightbreed sound like Elfman does Friday the 13th.

I was just listening to the OST and didn't realize Intrada had an expanded version in the works until I was internet shopping.

Can't wait to hear Shirley Walker's cue on CD.

My introduction to this score was when vol 1 of Music For A Darkened Theater was released. A few years later I found the original soundtrack release. It’s been awhile since I’ve listened to it. When an expanded version gets released of something I already have, I’ll shy away from it so when it hits the streets, it will have a much more newer taste to me, if that makes sense.

• 4 months later...

James Horner’s Something Wicked This Way Comes is coming in January, so Elfman’s Nightbreed will probably be released in February, or March. 

• 2 weeks later...

The following exchange recently happened in Intrada's Facebook group

Robert Stephan

NIGHTBREED?

Roger Feigelson

Great score!

Robert Stephan

Roger Feigelson any word on Intrada’s expanded release?

John Schanen

Robert Stephan yes Roger Feigelson ,explain for the hundredth time.

Roger Feigelson

John Schanen It's like I'm standing under a cloud and it's raining chocolate chips. And I think to myself, "hey what a great day to make chocolate chip cookies." But then I notice I don't have eggs in the fridge. How can I make chocolate chip cookies without eggs? So my wife offers to go to the supermarket, but then I get a call as she is in the egg aisle and says they're out of eggs. So I'm thinking, again, how am I going to make these cookies without eggs? Maybe a different supermarket? Maybe I shouldn't be doing this and just get an umbrella and ignore the chocolate chips. I do enjoy a good chocolate chip cookie, though. I'm sorry...what was the question again?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/95015405220/posts/10168695857370221

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Or is he saying he's not that interested in releasing Elfman anymore?

I expect it's still coming, but something less cryptic would've helped. Maybe a 'yeah, it's coming out in a few months', or 'no, we have no idea because of xyz'. He's probably just trying to be funny here since it's been asked so many times. I don't imagine they'd lose interest in wanting to release it, but I also imagine this will be the last time they ever pre announce a title only to have it be held up for so long. 

So an “ingredient”!is missing, which makes me think it’s a legal signature.  

The metaphor that I’m wondering about is “maybe I should try another supermarket”.  Maybe that means try another law office because the one he’s working with lets things sit for too long?

• 2 months later...

I wonder how many people will avoid ordering on 4/2 because they know The Piper is coming on 4/16 and want both

Roger says

Intrada announces an expanded edition of Danny Elfman's 1990 score to Clive Barker's Nightbreed, which provided Elfman with the perfect opportunity to indulge in his first outright, gore-filled horror feature. As Elfman himself described his experience, "Nightbreed was great fun, and I loved working with Clive Barker. But it was a real  difficult score, 75 minutes with a lot of different styles, very dense,  difficult music that was very challenging. But as always, the harder it  is the more I love it.” Not only did Nightbreed mark Elfman’s dive into a nightmarish fever dream, but it also marked his first significant use of world music in a film score. A South American pan flute, the shimmering beat of a Balinese gamelan  and heated drumming all feature in this large orchestral work that is  unique, but also clearly classic Danny Elfman.

At the time of the  film's release, a generous album was released on MCA Records. With the  generous cooperation of Universal Music Group, Morgan Creek and Danny Elfman's team, Intrada was able to greatly expand the album into a  2-CD set. The first disc features the complete 75-minute score. The  second features the original and carefully curated 46-minute album Elfman assembled back in 1990, as well as a suite of alternates.

The film is based on Clive Barker's novella Cabal, in which a graveyard necropolis named Midian provides sanctuary for creatures that have fled to hide from horrific persecution. Their shattered god, Baphomet  the Baptizer, calls out to an unlikely savior named Boone (Craig  Sheffer), a young man who thinks his visions of beckoning nightbreed are  proof of his insanity. Further convinced that he’s a murderer by his  psychiatrist, Decker (David Cronenberg), Boone is betrayed and shot down  by the police. But death is only the beginning of Boone’s journey as  he’s resurrected as the ravenous “Cabal.” Now he must accept his  Moses-like destiny to protect his newfound people and lead them from the  destruction of Midian at the hands of a bloodthirsty human militia.

INTRADA ISC 489
Retail Price: $31.99
Bar Code: 720258549900
Starts shipping 4/2/2024
For track listing, please visit the Nightbreed  page at https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12792/.f

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/vVwQA5vmA2MEUYWu/?mibextid=oFDknk

NIGHTBREED (2CD - EXPANDED)
Danny Elfman
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 489
Film Date: 1990
Album Date: 2024
Time: 143:27
Tracks: 72
Price: $31.99

CD 1 Original Film Score
01. Titles (2:37)
02. Dream (1:04)
03. Love (0:57)
04. Slaughter Time (0:54)
05. Photos (2:36)
06. Scalping (1:59)
07. Travel – Necropolis (2:36)
08. First Encounter (1:22)
09. Meat (2:15)
10. Boone Dead (1:11)
11. Boone’s Back (1:54)
12. Down, Down, Down (0:44)
13. Initiation (2:53)
14. Lori Enters Midian (1:16)
15. Babette (1:46)
16. Lori Goes Down (1:03)
17. Stinger – Uh-Oh…Decker (1:48)
18. Boone Transforms (0:57)
19. Grinnell (1:52)
20. Rachel’s Oratory (1:01)
21. Party (0:55)
22. Decker Has Fun (1:29)
23. Carnival (4:16)
24. Dance Of The Berserkers (1:47)
25. Crème Puff Murders (1:23)
26. Boone Gets A Taste (2:46)
27. Ohnaka Go Boom! (1:19)
28. Militia Montage (0:46)
29. Smokey (0:44)
30. Love Reprise (1:04)
31. Rescue (1:40)
32. Trouble In Midian (1:44)
33. Mayhem (1:53)
34. Eigerman’s Moment (0:47)
35. More Mayhem (2:00)
36. Two Reasons (1:22)
37. Berserker’s Party (2:32)
38. Mural Chamber (0:36)
39. Boone And Decker Duke It Out (2:32)
40. Baphomet Calls (2:02)
41. Finale (2:31)
42. End Credits (4:36)
CD 1 Total Time: 75:19

CD 2 1990 MCA Soundtrack Album
01. Main Titles (2:40)
02. Dream (1:03)
03. Carnival Underground (3:23)
04. Into Midian (2:31)
05. Meat For The Beast (2:10)
06. Resurrection Suite (3:37)
07. Boone Transforms (0:56)
08. The Initiation (2:50)
09. Scalping Time (1:54)
10. Rachel’s Oratory (1:04)
11. Party In The Past (0:51)
12. Poor Babette (1:41)
13. Uh-Oh…Decker! (1:39)
14. “Then Don’t Say It” (1:28)
15. Boone Gets A Taste (2:44)
16. Breed Love (1:02)
17. Mayhem In Midian (1:43)
18. Baphomet’s Chamber (2:01)
19. Farewell (0:59)
20. 2nd Chance (1:34)
21. End Credits (4:33)
22. Country Skin (4:15)
1990 Soundtrack Album
Total Time: 46:42

THE EXTRAS
23. Waltz (3:26)
24. Party (Without Choir) (0:56)
25. Berserker’s Party (Alternate) (2:33)
26. Country Skin (Medium Version) (2:54)
27. Home On The Range (1:48)
28. Country Skin (Fast Version) (1:58)
29. The Valley (2:52)
30. Country Skin (Slow Version) (4:29)
The Extras Total Time: 21:16
CD 2 Total Time: 68:08

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12792/.f

media.nl?id=42848&c=ACCT67745&h=ikG6roGo

media.nl?id=42849&c=ACCT67745&h=fMZHV_mB

media.nl?id=42850&c=ACCT67745&h=fzFj0Kgu

Odd that, like with Sheffer's handful of cues in Lalaland's release of Darkman, they haven't credited Shirley Walker for her big cue for this. Especially weird given that Elfman spoke publicly about their contributions and got them the biggest 'additional music by' credits known to man.

Release looks awesome, though!

10 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Odd that, like with Sheffer's handful of cues in Lalaland's release of Darkman, they haven't credited Shirley Walker for her big cue for this. Especially weird given that Elfman spoke publicly about their contributions and got them the biggest 'additional music by' credits known to man.

Release looks awesome, though!

I'm guessing it's for some kind of legal album reasons. Something similar happened with Mark McKenzie's big climactic action cue "Battle for the Castle" on Intrada's expanded release of Jerry Goldsmith's The Last Castle. Composer not mentioned on the tracklist or outer packaging at all:

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12180/.f

And yet in Doug's description he's given an explicit shout-out for the cue, so it's not as if Intrada is unawares or doesn't care about properly crediting the additional music composer: "New Intrada 2-CD set presents Goldsmith’s full score with numerous previously unreleased cues, all taken from the original 3-channel digital stereo session mixes, culminating in the lengthy, climactic “Battle For The Castle”  (composed by Mark McKenzie), also being released for the first time."

Yavar

Ordered. Along with... <rolls eyes and sighs> ...Inchon. wanted MacArthur too but it is out of stock.

Karol