Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget (2023 Netflix movie, music by Harry Gregson-Williams)

Edmilson

50 minutes ago, Dr. Know said:

I can’t listen to this. Does it include the “Great Escape”-like march?

It's basically the heroic theme from the opening logos

15 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

A single will be released tomorrow!

It's nostly reprises of themes, but it's so good to hear them again

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/chicken-run-dawn-of-the-nugget-original-motion/1718798046

HGW very much sticking to his own style and not even attempting to emulate JP.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Why should he emulate Powell?

Just an observation rather than a criticism, knowing what we know about how the original film was mainly JP.

On 06/12/2023 at 11:20 PM, PrayodiBA said:

Thank you for clarifying and got the time to find this!

As much as I'd like to take credit, I use a Chrome extension called AudD which identifies clean stock music. Takes about 5 seconds to identify.

That opening cue that’s been released does satiate the nostalgia somewhat. I just hope those original themes re-appear in the rest of the score and that it isn’t just a ‘get it over with’ sort of cue.

I don’t put anything past ‘em these days.

21 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Is it me or does the orchestra sound rather... small?

I hear a lot of virtual instruments helping the orchestra out.

I think we’re just used to hearing those themes with JP’s more powerful orchestrations.

On 9/12/2023 at 1:36 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Is it me or does the orchestra sound rather... small?

I hear a lot of virtual instruments helping the orchestra out.

I hear it too. The vast majority of it sounds like samples.

Short cues but I like the energy. Saddening as it is that Powell didn’t return… I think HGW had a ball on this one.

After my first listen, I’m not sure how to feel about this one. There are plenty of references to the first score (including some rather interesting thematic developments/twists) but I found the overall package a little underwhelming, despite some pretty busy and exciting action cues (sadly none of which match the first score in their inventiveness or memorability). The primary new theme also doesn’t live up to the existing ones, which meant the highlights of this score for me personally were reprisals of the old themes.

Whilst I enjoyed the jazzy heist cues, I never really felt HGW found a great way to stylistically incorporate the main theme into these sections, leaving them to sound slightly awkward (maybe they will grow on me after repeat listenings).  

The sound quality is superb, featuring a crystal clear recording and mix. I disagree with an earlier post which hinted that MIDI instruments/samples were used in place of a live orchestra; it all sounds completely real to me.

I’m definitely going to listen to this score again (and watch the film, of course), and I hope that it will grow on me. I really wanted to love this score and for it to prove that HGW has still got the chops for scoring animation, but I’m a bit underwhelmed. Again, it’s not a bad or poorly written score, but I don’t feel it lives up to the original or even other more recent HGW animated scores (Early Man, Arthur Christmas, Shrek Forever After, etc.).

Based on the response to Powell’s Migration I’ve seen on the site, I think it’s pretty clear who has won the “Battle of the Birds”. 

^^
Agree with above.

On quick listen, it really does sound underwhelming. Glad I don’t have any expectation whatsoever for this score.

Chicken Run is predominantly Powell’s baby, so it’s evident here with the absence of Powell, majority of the magic that makes the first one such a classic has also left this score.

The problem here, aside from what has been described above, this score fully functions, well,….as “a score”. And what makes the first one so different is that it’s not only a “score”, but also a whole listening experince on its own with so many “highlight”/“standout” cues like Building The Crate or Lift Off. Clearly, this score doesn’t have any of those. In fact, the highlights of this score are when the old themes reprised (and even that is rather off-puttingly executed and arranged, like mentioned by poster above)

And yes, now it’s clear: Powell’s Migration has won “the battle of the birds”, by miles

After listening to the bum yesterday I had some of the same complaints that are noted above.

But after just watching the film, those have almost all gone away. Yes, the first score is still better, mostly because it has cues like "Into The Machine" or "Building The Crate".

I think my personal favorite cue here is "Go Time". It a fantastic mix of the sound and themes of the first score with the added heist elements. It's truly a lot fun.

The rest of the score might feel a little scatterbrained, but that's because it follows the film.

I felt that in the film the different themes are very well handled and recognisable. I really like the new theme for Molly and the themes from the first film are well integrated without it feeling they're just there as a gimmick.

Powell's Migration probably has just the edge for me, because he does some really fun and wacky stuff and he gets a bit more room to do those long sweeping moments he's so good in. But this score is just fantastic I feel.

10 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

After listening to the bum yesterday I had some of the same complaints that are noted above.

But after just watching the film, those have almost all gone away. Yes, the first score is still better, mostly because it has cues like "Into The Machine" or "Building The Crate".

I think my personal favorite cue here is "Go Time". It a fantastic mix of the sound and themes of the first score with the added heist elements. It's truly a lot fun.

The rest of the score might feel a little scatterbrained, but that's because it follows the film.

I felt that in the film the different themes are very well handled and recognisable. I really like the new theme for Molly and the themes from the first film are well integrated without it feeling they're just there as a gimmick.

Powell's Migration probably has just the edge for me, because he does some really fun and wacky stuff and he gets a bit more room to do those long sweeping moments he's so good in. But this score is just fantastic I feel.

Awesome to hear that listening to the music in context (in the film) improves it! I'm keen to watch the movie and re-listen to the soundtrack. I noticed some pretty fun twists on the Mrs. Tweedy theme in "Presentation Music"! 

16 minutes ago, Trope said:

Awesome to hear that listening to the music in context (in the film) improves it! I'm keen to watch the movie and re-listen to the soundtrack. I noticed some pretty fun twists on the Mrs. Tweedy theme in "Presentation Music"! 

The scene that goes with that music is pretty dark, but in a comical way. It's fantastic

I listened to the OST album this afternoon on Spotify.

I'm afraid it didn't do anything for me.  I never heard anything that made me stand up and take attention, and then suddenly it was over.

Oh well.

His approach to "Early Man", his previous work for this studio, was pretty much the same. An hour of score would just pass by without leaving any impression on me - other than perhaps this nagging feeling that more time might have been spent on the orchestration side of the work than actual writing.

I suppose this is what he is being asked to do on these, and he seems more than happy to comply.

Why else would he agree to/be asked to score several films by this studio for the past two decades?

Same feelings as above - I got about 6 or 7 tracks in and, well, got a bit bored really. I have no doubt it functions fine in the movie but it didn't work for me as a listening experience. It does appear that Powell's work on the original (and probably Shrek too), were the more memorable parts.

Whereas I listened to the first half or so of Migration in the car yesterday and spent the rest of the day humming the themes.

10 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Is the movie any good? I'm a big fan of the original.

My thoughts:

Let's be honest, nothing is going to be as great as the first film, but this was such a fun time.

Instead of breaking out, this time the chickens have to break in and it's just as much fun. Seeing clay chickens with backpacks and their own self made weapons is something I will always enjoy🤣.
The animation is truly gorgeous and the mix between the clay and the 3D and a little bit of 2D animation works for every single second the film plays. There is so much detail, especially on wideshots of scenery and locations.

I was afraid that the new voice cast was gonna be a problem and distracting, but it wasn't that at all. Thandiwe Newton & Zachary Levi both do a really great job and add voice acting to the list of things Bella Ramsey is amazing at. Hearing Miranda Richardson in the villain role again was so great and her character is even more nuts than in the first film.

There are some underlying and pretty dark moments about the meat industry in general. There is an "add" in the film which is both hilarious and pretty dark that I'm surprised they got away with it.

Yes, it's not as good as the first, but it's better than a lot of live action films I've seen this year. And I just had so much fun! Sometimes that all I need and a film needs. Truly hope Aardman is back for more, because I love their films.

10 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Yes, it's not as good as the first, but it's better than a lot of live action films I've seen this year. And I just had so much fun! Sometimes that all I need and a film needs.

I've kind of given up on new films but this description gives me hope! I look forward to checking it out, I could do with some fun again after all the franchise disappointments of the past five or six years.

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I feel the Shrek sequel scores are all better than the first, except maybe 3

The first score is great but I agree that the sequel scores are better. I am a big fan of HGW but in the last couple of years I haven’t really connected to his scores as I used to. I hope that he can get his groove back because when he delivers, he writes remarkable music. I hope that this chicken run score is good (haven’t had time to listen yet)

20 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm surprised by the preference for the Shrek sequel scores. I like a handful of tracks from 2-4 but the first one is by far my favourite.

I'd say 1 and 2 are quite even.

• 3 weeks later...

I know this isn't the original Chicken Run thread, but I attempted to restore the middle portion of the track "A Really Big Truck Arrives", which is credited to HGW, to its intended scene. Although the opening and ending of this track are heard in the final film, the middle section is replaced with Powell's excellent "Into the Pie Machine", which gives the whole scene a much more intense and dangerous feeling. 

It's interesting to see how different the tone is with HGW's version. I had to make a few tiny adjustments to the picture to make everything sync as well as possible. But it would be cool to hear anybody's thoughts on this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rRU_EGYSZsm6pH7gcw7Dfxx9U7wM8KdH/view?usp=sharing

P.S. I don't know the best way to upload videos to the forum. Please let me know if there's a better way than Google Drive.

5 minutes ago, Trope said:

I know this isn't the original Chicken Run thread, but I attempted to restore the middle portion of the track "A Really Big Truck Arrives", which is credited to HGW, to its intended scene. Although the opening and ending of this track are heard in the final film, the middle section is replaced with Powell's excellent "Into the Pie Machine", which gives the whole scene a much more intense and dangerous feeling. 

It's interesting to see how different the tone is with HGW's version. I had to make a few tiny adjustments to the picture to make everything sync as well as possible. But it would be cool to hear anybody's thoughts on this.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rRU_EGYSZsm6pH7gcw7Dfxx9U7wM8KdH/view?usp=sharing

P.S. I don't know the best way to upload videos to the forum. Please let me know if there's a better way than Google Drive.

I think I did this cue in my restored thread for this one:

On 18/12/2023 at 1:17 AM, Edmilson said:

As much as I tried, every time I watched the Shrek sequels the only times I noticed the scores were... when it played themes/cues from the first one. Still, I'd like to give them a chance on album one of these days.

But I think we can all agree that

1. HGW's best animated solo score is Sinbad; and
  2. His work has become significantly less interesting since the 2010s, animated or otherwise (though I like The Martian).

Disagree a bit with the second statement. I think his movie works become less interesting (except The Martian), but I really love his music for "Arthur Christmas" animation and Disney documentaries (especially "Penguins").

HGW highlights for me over the last 15 years or so are Seraphim Falls, The Martian and The Last Duel. A few bits of the Shrek sequels, maybe.

Kingdom of Heaven is an obvious career highlight, although there's something about its sound that stops me going back to it that often. It doesn't really have obvious, memorable long-lined themes that you'd normally get with an epic.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with his composing - it just doesn't do it for me, musically.

Sadly Seraphim is unreleased - I think I read once that he didn't think it had sufficient substance to warrant a release, and we know from multiple interviews that he's not in favour of expansions in general. Thankfully most of his stuff leaks anyway.

On 17/12/2023 at 5:01 PM, Richard Penna said:

I'm surprised by the preference for the Shrek sequel scores. I like a handful of tracks from 2-4 but the first one is by far my favourite.

I think the score for Shrek 2 is on par with the first (with a slight preference for the first one more).