Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Score in the film) - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

It seems that Williams is getting more and more restrictive with his OSTs. Firstly, The Fabelmans' OST album doesn't include this cue that would've shown that the score has a bigger diversity of sounds.

Then, Indy 5's album includes Helena's Theme twice, but not essential, climatic cues.

And to make everything worse, there isn't a single second of unreleased music in either FYC.

Sigh...

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's a great cue!

I really wish he had included it on the OST album, or if he didn't, that it could have been on the FYC album.

Didn't realize the first part was Williams.  I hear traces of the Fabelmans theme in there (from the very end of the theme)

1 minute ago, Jay said:

If the guitar part is not Williams, it goes uncredited in the film and GEMA cue list.

It has the repeating figure from 1:40 of the main theme.  Just specific enough for it to feel intentional 

32 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

One thing i love about the score and film, is that John William's opening percussion in the Battle of Syracuse is the surprise, BEFORE the surprise.

That ancient sorta tribal beat is John Williams front and center for arguably the best part of the film and I think, personally, one of the best twists in all of the Indy films.

His music got to be the twist for a couple seconds, and I love that.

The twist was kinda spoiled by Indy figuring out the continental drift before they entered the portal. I think it would have been so much more impactful if the score and the sight of the roman galleys were the very first indication that they had traveled too far back in time, and only then does Indy think of continental draft as the explanation. Indy explaining it before the twist already made the audience expect a twist.

5 hours ago, Bellosh said:

to each their own!

you know what it is for me? as a fan of the film....i wish JW didn't do that!

I feel like, personally, it lowers the quality of the film to re-hash so many bits. which feels harsh to type....but the irony is the rest of JW's music in the film is so good that it raises the level of the film. 

Maybe the On the Tank reference is fine, cause one could argue that is something like Indy's version of tie fighter music (bad example --- but you get it)

I think the film could have 'felt' stronger to me without dipping into so many older cues.  I can't and won't blame JW, due to his age obviously.  It's just a small nitpick I have with the film.

I get that, new music is usually the better choice over old stuff in most cases for sure. But I do appreciate the obvious love Mangold has for War of the Worlds score considering he uses it as obvious temp music 3 times.

On 01/09/2023 at 8:47 AM, CGCJ said:

02:08-02:20 of Germany, 1944 is used at 08:40 when Indy climbs onto the train.

Thanks for this tip.  I've now cleaned up the make-up of OST track 3 in the doc, this thread, and the other 2 threads that had the album breakdown posted.  Thanks again! :up:

I dunno what you mean about 30 seconds with no score.  The score is continuous from 2:06:48-2:12:01 in the rear channels

Nevermind, I was wrong!

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno what you mean about 30 seconds with no score.  The score is continuous from 2:06:48-2:12:01 in the rear channels

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gLWlWGQDU2sjQtm83qAu9pgDTlEMSH7smeWw5zZwqHs

I'm referring to the section that begins when Helena makes her entrance on the plane in Syracuse and says ''Guttentag" to the soldiers and drops them out of the place. I don't hear score unless it is mixed low. However, I didn't listen specifically to the rear channels so perhaps it can be heard there??

I just double-checked and yup, it's a mistake in my doc - fixed now!

The music plays from 2:06:48-2:09:46, and then 2:10:14-2:12:00, indeed!

So that means there's only 1:55:20 of score in the final film.

Thanks for the correction!

6 hours ago, Bellosh said:

to each their own!

you know what it is for me? as a fan of the film....i wish JW didn't do that!

I feel like, personally, it lowers the quality of the film to re-hash so many bits. which feels harsh to type....but the irony is the rest of JW's music in the film is so good that it raises the level of the film. 

Maybe the On the Tank reference is fine, cause one could argue that is something like Indy's version of tie fighter music (bad example --- but you get it)

I think the film could have 'felt' stronger to me without dipping into so many older cues.  I can't and won't blame JW, due to his age obviously.  It's just a small nitpick I have with the film.

Hmm, see, it sounds like you ARE blaming JW. Moreover, you said JW's contribution to a movie lowered the quality of said movie.

There... there just are no words for such words. Under the immutable and ineradicable laws of the universe, JW's music only INCREASES the quality of everything it graces, always and forever. That means, by definition, his reuse of material is a stroke of genius the rest of us might come around to recognizing as such years from now, if we're lucky.

Ok, we're good. I'm glad I was able to sort that out for us.

37 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Hmm, see, it sounds like you ARE blaming JW. Moreover, you said JW's contribution to a movie lowered the quality of said movie.

There... there just are no words for such words. Under the immutable and ineradicable laws of the universe, JW's music only INCREASES the quality of everything it graces, always and forever. That means, by definition, his reuse of material is a stroke of genius the rest of us might come around to recognizing as such years from now, if we're lucky.

Ok, we're good. I'm glad I was able to sort that out for us.

i realized after I typed it, i committed JWfan Forum sin.  jay already scorned me with a neutral emoji.  it's the equivalent to your parents not being mad at you --- just disappointed.  I almost would rather have the passive aggressive confused emoji at that point. :(

Let me try to explain myself....the prologue (aka de-aged stuff --- the 1950s de-aging was fine) is my least favorite thing about the film.  It made me cringe so much. seriously, i'll take an Indy in boxers angry about loud music than a funky ass CGI face with a voice that doesn't match.

It looks good for a split second then immediately looks like shit. Sure sure it introduces the dial and Basil, although he's similar to Ox and Mac in that way, where the audience never really latches onto him.  Solid performance on the train though.  Didn't buy the whole going insane from the dial though, another weak point....

ANYWAYS what i'm trying to say is that I don't need a huge 'fan-service' portion in a movie.  And the prologue and lots of the rehashed themes felt that way. 

But besides the On the Tank bit, I don't care for any of the re-hashed stuff from other films throughout the movie.  Like the bit from Ants! in the plane when they're in ancient Greece....to me it just takes me out of the already good themes.

I will prefer the film versions of everything after MM does his magic, believe me.  But my overall point to all of this is i don't think any missing music changes one opinion about the OST.

There are 4 levels to modern JW scores:

The score as heard on the OST

The Score as used in film

The full final score without microedits, dialed out portions, tracking.

The early versions/takes.

13 minutes ago, Damien F said:

There used to be a 5th level which was the score as heard on the FYC which sadly seems to be no more :(

The TROS OST + FYC is so much better than only the OST. Thankfully we got that FYC before they started just using the OST but it's such a pity we didn't get one for DoD.

FYC is a wing on the 2nd level.

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

i realized after I typed it, i committed JWfan Forum sin.  jay already scorned me with a neutral emoji.  it's the equivalent to your parents not being mad at you --- just disappointed.  I almost would rather have the passive aggressive confused emoji at that point. :(

Let me try to explain myself....

I'm not going to speak for Jay, but regarding my reply to you, that was purely in jest, meant only to resemble what a rabid, unrepentant JW true believer would write. (Which I'm sure, in this case, is likely pretty close to what a sober and perfectly objective commentator would write about JW's music.)

You don't need to explain yourself to anyone and can feel whatever you like about DoD's music. : )

nah i know, and jay was probably surprised by my opinion with not caring about extra music --- i'm a bit of a hypocrite because I remember a few minutes of unreleased KOTCS music ultimately made me like that score more.

The thing is, I already like DoD's score more than i did with KOTCS.

1 hour ago, Signals said:

There are 4 levels to modern JW scores:

The score as heard on the OST

The Score as used in film

The full final score without microedits, dialed out portions, tracking.

The early versions/takes.

It would be interesting to categorize JW's scores into those 4 levels. 

The Matessino-expanded scores would fit into all 4 categories, but recent stuff like The Book Thief, The BFG and Dial of Destiny are only on level 1 due to the impossibility of expanding them (at least right now).

The Last Jedi and The Witches of Eastwick are the only ones I think on both level 1 and 2, because we have the OST and, thanks to the iso, the score as used in the film.

And to think we have so many holy grails stuck on level 1... The Patriot, JFK, etc.

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The Book Thief, The BFG and Dial of Destiny are only on level 1 due to the impossibility of expanding them (at least right now).

The Book Thief had an FYC album with unreleased nusic. Every Williams score from '11-'19 did. 

16 minutes ago, Signals said:

All the scores are on level 2, unless they are rejected, because they are in the film.... :lol:

Yeah, but I was talking about their availability to be listened outside the movies. TLJ and TWoE only have their OSTs but at least the iso helps a bit while their expansion don't come.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Book Thief had an FYC album with unreleased nusic. Every Williams score from '11-'19 did. 

So I guess the FYCs need to be level 2 then?

I do actually respect JW's desire to curate an enjoyable listening experience that flows well on the album, and I guess JW fanatics like us who complain about missing cues or microedited moments make up a very small proportion of people who listen to the album.

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Has anyone given any thought to what scene "To Athens" 0:00-1:09 could have been written for?

i don't have time to check the length of the scene to compare, but when Indy and Helena are discussing what to do next in the tuk-tuk, they are talking about Archimedes and so there's a bit in the beginning of the cue that references the dial/Archimedes..... and then more into Helena's theme as she consider's having Indy come along.

There seems to be enough time with no music that that's where it would fit.

And it was simply cut?  That's my best guess.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet. The music that plays at the airport when Teddy is trying to jump start the plane right before he sees Helena chase Voller's plane is not in the The Airport track. I'm not sure if it was just microedited out or if the album has a different version of the cue from the movie. I think it is the Airport Nazis cue. Perhaps the difference is due to the numerous patches for that cue listed on GEMA

Almost every OST track is different from its film counterpart.  But yes I'd suspect a lot of patches in the film are not on the album.

in terms of missing Raiders March hits that didn't make it onto the OST, my 2 favorites are:

2:10:32-2:10:38 (when Indy shoots the nazi hanging on Helena's leg in the plane)

1:40:15 - 1:40:19 (when Indy and Helena steal the just married car)

they both seem to sound unique to DoD --- so these are top priority for me.

the raiders march hit when Indy shoots at the villains at Archimedes Tomb sounds like something from the flying wing fight. can't pinpoint in my head at the moment. 

21 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

in terms of missing Raiders March hits that didn't make it onto the OST, my 2 favorites are:

2:10:32-2:10:38 (when Indy shoots the nazi hanging on Helena's leg in the plane)

1:40:15 - 1:40:19 (when Indy and Helena steal the just married car)

they both seem to sound unique to DoD --- so these are top priority for me.

the raiders march hit when Indy shoots at the villains at Archimedes Tomb sounds like something from the flying wing fight. can't pinpoint in my head at the moment. 

I like the Raider Match at 1:07:35 when Indy takes control of the Tuk Tuk and says he didn't come to Tangiers to rescue Helana from her fiance.

Wow thanks for that, @Manakin Skywalker!  That's convincing enough for me to assume it's what happened!

So do we think the OST track just contains long cue ("To Athens") and the film just dropped the first half of it, OR do we think it's two cues, and the film drops the first of them, so we don't know it's name?

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

2:11:09-2:11:19 -------> 2:51:2:59 of Map/Out of Fuel from ToD

This was a fun surprise that I didn't expect and every time I watch the scene I prepare myself for the glorious mix of Indy and Short Round's theme and then it doesn't happenROTFLMAO

3 minutes ago, Brando said:

This was a fun surprise that I didn't expect and every time I watch the scene I prepare myself for the glorious mix of Indy and Short Round's theme and then it doesn't happenROTFLMAO

you think the yellow parachute is a nod to the float? 

I was listening to “Germany, 1944” and noticed the Raiders March (halfway through the track but before the Nazi ostinato moment) sounded pretty similar to when Indy shoots the Nazi on the plane. Y’all think it’s the same insert but a different recording?