Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Score in the film) - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

17 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Somehow I didn't notice until today (or forgot) that Bill Ross has an orchestrator credit on Rogue One.

I don’t even think this is the case of similar orchestrations to be honest, it’s too exact to be that. I’m thinking it’s some alternate take used as temp music they used and just went with it when John said “no baby”. Horns are the same as well as the trumpets and timpani, the only real difference is that ww sync at the end.

• 5 weeks later...
On 06/09/2023 at 6:48 PM, Bellosh said:

1:03:55-1:03:58  ------> is :15-:18 of The Rocket Sled from KOTCS (i'm almost sure it's not Whirl Thru Academe)

1:03:59-1:04:11 ------> is :30-:40 of The Rocket Sled from KOTCS

1:04:23- 1:04:36 ------> is somewhere between 1:02-1:27 of Escape From Venice, I can't match it exactly, gonna need help on this...... but it's all Venice.  Interestingly enough that motif transitions really smoothly back into Helena's theme.  Love it.

1:05:11 -1:05:12 is more Escape from Venice

1:05:22-1:05:23 ------> is 2:11-2:12 of Whirl Thru Acadame 

1:05:37-1:05:40 ------> is something from KOTCS, i can't pinpoint it, it's literally all starting to sound the same to me.

1:05:49-1:05:55 ------> 2:10-2:15 of Escape from Venice

1:33:51-1:33:53 ------> is the nazi theme from The Last Crusade, trying to think of the cue that would have that bit that closely resembles it, any takers?

2:04:38-2:05:13 ------> 3:11-3:43 of The Spell of the Skull from KOTCS

2:07:20-2:07:23 ------> :34-:36 of Ants!  (someone with better ears might want to double check this, as Ants! has a few moments with these swirling strings, but i think i chose the right one)

2:10:22-2:10:31 ------> 3:20-3:28 of The Spell of the Skull. 

2:11:09-2:11:19 ------> 2:51:2:59 of Map/Out of Fuel from ToD

some of these might be off by a second or two because it seems JW kinda dragged out some of the notes or shortened them in DoD, but for the most part it's the same.

I'll keep adding when I notice another one.

before you put any of these in spreadsheet, do double check them please.

Is this the most comprehensive list of citations to other scores anyone has made so far? @Jay

On 01/07/2023 at 4:06 PM, Jilal said:

Thought it'd be fun to assemble a list of all cues from previous scores referenced in the prologue. In order of appearance:

X Marks the Spot (TLC)

Keeper of the Grail (TLC) [Thanks to @paleo!]

Belly of the Steel Beast (TLC)

R3P4-R4P1 The Medallion (ROTLA)

R11P4 The Broken Bridge (TOD)

R1P6 Once in a Vial (TOD)

R8P5 Pffist Fight (ROTLA)

R2P2 The Boat Scene (TLC)

R10P3-R11P1 On the Tank (TLC)

3M5 The Conveyor Belt (Minority Report)

3M4 Anderton's Great Escape (Minority Report)

R2PA Sub Commander (1941)

7M53 Kathy Kennedy's Great Flying Machine (KOTCS)

5M38 Andy's Full Nelson (KOTCS)

R10P6 The Nazi Hideout (ROTLA)

2M8C Indy Versus The Russian (KOTCS)

2M11 Prairie Dog and Nuclear Cloud (KOTCS)

R1P3 The Rolling Ball (ROTLA)

End Credits (ROTLA)

I also seem to recognize the following two bits, but can't quite place them:

Ah just remembered this one too.

6 minutes ago, Will said:

Where is this Raider's March variation from? Jungle Chase?

Yeah. it's a compressed down version of the one in Andy's Full Nelson.

On 07/09/2023 at 12:48 AM, Bellosh said:

1:03:55-1:03:58  ------> is :15-:18 of The Rocket Sled from KOTCS (i'm almost sure it's not Whirl Thru Academe)

1:03:59-1:04:11 ------> is :30-:40 of The Rocket Sled from KOTCS

1:04:23- 1:04:36 ------> is somewhere between 1:02-1:27 of Escape From Venice, I can't match it exactly, gonna need help on this...... but it's all Venice.  Interestingly enough that motif transitions really smoothly back into Helena's theme.  Love it.

1:05:11 -1:05:12 is more Escape from Venice

1:05:22-1:05:23 ------> is 2:11-2:12 of Whirl Thru Acadame 

1:05:37-1:05:40 ------> is something from KOTCS, i can't pinpoint it, it's literally all starting to sound the same to me.

1:05:49-1:05:55 ------> 2:10-2:15 of Escape from Venice

1:33:51-1:33:53 ------> is the nazi theme from The Last Crusade, trying to think of the cue that would have that bit that closely resembles it, any takers?

2:04:38-2:05:13 ------> 3:11-3:43 of The Spell of the Skull from KOTCS

2:07:20-2:07:23 ------> :34-:36 of Ants!  (someone with better ears might want to double check this, as Ants! has a few moments with these swirling strings, but i think i chose the right one)

2:10:22-2:10:31 ------> 3:20-3:28 of The Spell of the Skull. 

2:11:09-2:11:19 ------> 2:51:2:59 of Map/Out of Fuel from ToD

some of these might be off by a second or two because it seems JW kinda dragged out some of the notes or shortened them in DoD, but for the most part it's the same.

I'll keep adding when I notice another one.

before you put any of these in spreadsheet, do double check them please.

Also 1:07-1:10 of Centipedes ------> 3:20-3:25 of Nocturnal Activities from Temple of Doom

10 hours ago, Will said:

Is this the most comprehensive list of citations to other scores anyone has made so far? @Jay

and i didn't even bother doing the prologue lol.  i might eventually now with the isolated score.

there's so much more!

Please do. I'd love to have a comprehensive list of all the quotes, preferably if they include also the quotes from non-Indy JW scores (which I think are just Minority Report, Tintin, War of the World and Attack of the Clones... right?).

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Please do. I'd love to have a comprehensive list of all the quotes, preferably if they include also the quotes from non-Indy JW scores (which I think are just Minority Report, Tintin, War of the World and Attack of the Clones... right?).

bro i was hearing things when i did it before

i was hearing whirl thru academe and extended jungle chase in my sleep

but i need to.  you're right.

You know who could do a good WWII Indy adventure score? This guy.

You could easily use this material for the DOD prologue sequence. 😀

I've just finished the film with isolated score. It was a lot of fun, with and without quotes. The last third, from Archimedes' Tomb onwards, plays wonderfully as a silent film. 

Karol

On 01/12/2023 at 4:51 PM, Edmilson said:

Honestly, Germany 1944 might not be my favorite track on the OST but I do admit JW did a fine job curating the 20 minute prologue into a (mostly) coherent track.

that's easy when it's all kinda bullshit

Just got around to listening to a bunch of the isolated score cues from the film and oh boy it's a mess. Pulse of the City sounds so jarringly out of place. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/9/2023 at 12:59 AM, Jay said:

I found that there's 1:55:20 of score in the film, which runs 2:34:34.  So that's ~75% of the film scored with original music!

Of course, about 2:30 of that is Bill Ross's "Pulse of the City" cue.  And then, there is tracking in the film, too, so that number doesn't represent unique Williams score heard.

Curiously, the SABAM Repertoire site lists a duration of just 96:08 (1:36:08) for Williams' score. I wonder if that excludes the note-for-note reused material from previous scores. Would that add up to ~17 minutes?

image.png

Hmmm, off the cuff I'd say that I think the amount of reused Indy music is less than 17 minutes worth.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hmmm, off the cuff I'd say that I think the amount of reused Indy music is less than 17 minutes worth.

The 96 minute total might also exclude the use of previously written themes; I've seen that with several other scores. Maybe the recycled material plus other uses of the Indy and Marion themes adds up to 17 minutes?

Still seems too high to me, but I haven't timed anything out or anything

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Still seems too high to me, but I haven't timed anything out or anything

Looks like GEMA's AV Production guide at least partially explains it:

It has a second entry with a timing of 11:00 for the Dial of Destiny score, plus 5:04 for the Raiders March - JR Edit, and 2:36 for Pulse of the City:

image.png

1 hour ago, Faleel said:

"Escaping the Pit"? Isn't that a Raiders cue? Was it tracked?

Curious, I don't remember any of this material in DoD, either. But the number does match the Raiders cue:

image.png

@Faleel @Jay

Even weirder: there's 2:36 of 'Confrontation' from Superman IV on that cue sheet!

image.png

18 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Even weirder: there's 2:36 of 'Confrontation' from Superman IV on that cue sheet!

It's likely just that it shares the title with a cue from the film which GEMA already has an entry for that title registered to John Williams and simply linking to that instead of creating a new entry.

2 hours ago, CGCJ said:

It's likely just that it shares the title with a cue from the film which GEMA already has an entry for that title registered to John Williams and simply linking to that instead of creating a new entry.

Yeah, that would make sense. I've seen some other cases of that. There is an Indy 5 cue called 'Confrontation at the Tomb', so it could be a mix-up with that, as well.

Update: seems like there’s 2:36 of Confrontation at the Tomb in the film, so I’m pretty sure that’s what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just released that 2.15-2.24 of Indy Driver is is basically 3.21-3.31 of Anderton’s Great Escape.

Johnny must have been studying his Minority Report score.

This only shows that when the time and/or supplies (physical and mental on this case) are short, John will often resort to repeating himself to save some time and work.

It happened in Chamber of Secrets and now (in a even bigger way, I'd say) in DoD.