James Newton Howard - THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS AND SNAKES

JNHFan2000

I'll be listening to it today. I would want to get the CD, since I love JNH's HG scores, but the LLL Black Friday Behemoth is approaching with a possible (even probable) JW set, so this has no chance.

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

didn't find much to latch on to other than the references to the themes from the previous films

But those themes are so great! 

Listened to the first half or so - seemed more to be some nice highlights amongst an otherwise functional score. Nothing RCP about it of course - it's just not always that interesting.

At the moment Happy Hunger Games is an early highlight - the cue from the clip released a while ago. I did like the music in that and I'm glad it was released.

The piano versions are beautiful - feels like they are a bonus section to Night After Night.

6 minutes ago, MaxMovieMan said:

After listening to the score I agree that I couldn’t really identify anything new thematically but damn those reprises of the old themes are wonderful.

There is a new theme in Meet the Mentor, which it reminded me of one of his theme from his violin concerto.

That track also has three motifs from the original series I couldn’t make out a new melody there that reappeared anywhere else in the album.

My personal highlights are:

The Arena

Under the Flag

Snow Lands on Top

Victor

Powerful

Passed the Tests

These are mostly reprises of my favorite theme from the OG trilogy as well as reprises of President Snow’s theme which JNH expertly reworked in this score.

I really cannot connect to JNH's Hunger Games scores. Same for his Fantastic Beasts scores. Particularly too bombastic without being rich and too synthetic in sound to capture me emotionally. An issue I also had with all his recent Disney scores. Not my cup of tea.

I thought the film and score were alright.

The series continues to be absolutely plagued by terrible temp tracking. Why is the Katniss theme here in such a prominent scene? The theme for Rue/rebellion/hope now plays...when Snow enters the... Capitol. What? It's so muddy. I don't know what any of these themes are. I get that music and themes are abstract, but it drives me a bit mad. Music that plays wonderment in one score is reprised to play horror in the next. JNH managed to recently write some excellent thematic scores for David Yates of all people, so I'm going to assume that this is a Francis Lawrence issue.

Having said that, I much preferred the action music in this one. It didn't have that weird shrill and synthetic sound that the last score had. The 'Mercy' track that was released seemed like a weird choice for a buzz track, but that cue really is lovely in context. No new themes stood out, but they were clearly there, and I'm sure they'll reveal themselves in subsequent listens. The score was mostly pleasant, if not particularly interesting.

Honestly, this is my least favorite Hunger Games score by a mile.

There are some two or three decent tracks but most of them are (again) subdued suspense music or dissonant action music similar to the one in the first 4 movies - which weren't my favorite parts of those scores.

And the worst part is that they don't build to anything interesting or cathartic. After Get Her Out, which I think underscore the end of the games, all we got is more dark atmospheric music that ultimately amounts to nothing.

But for me the worst part is that here JNH repeats another mistake from Secrets of Grindelwald: relying to much on older material from the franchise, scoring pivotal scenes with reprisals of themes from earlier movies. But unlilke the third Fantastic Beasts, the reprisals here are similar to the ones in Night After Night, where he makes them even more melodramatic with choir and stuff. What I liked about them in the first place is that they didn't need this extra "epicness" to be emotional and touching, so all the choir makes them a little weird.

This is my least favorite JNH album of the year, behind Night After Night, All the Light and even Pain Hustlers (which is not bad for the kind of score it is). 

17 minutes ago, Cristian Lee said:

and the three piano cues Friendship, Rue's Farewell and Victor - maybe a future album like Night after Night with the music from all the Hunger Games scores? That would be great. 

This would be amazing.

On 17/11/2023 at 12:55 PM, GerateWohl said:

I really cannot connect to JNH's Hunger Games scores. Same for his Fantastic Beasts scores. Particularly too bombastic without being rich and too synthetic in sound to capture me emotionally. An issue I also had with all his recent Disney scores. Not my cup of tea.

Maybe you should try this one as there are no electronics, it’s fully acoustic. 
I liked it, but as others mentioned, it lacks a strong new theme.

29 minutes ago, danbeck said:

Maybe you should try this one as there are no electronics, it’s fully acoustic. 
I liked it, but as others mentioned, it lacks a strong new theme.

I did. Still what I wrote above applies here as well.

A full listen this evening, and I think there's a very nice 40-ish minute album in there, mainly tracks 3-15, a scattering of cues from the 2nd half, and the beautiful trio of piano pieces at the end.

The problem for me is that while it has a nice build-up of melodic, dramatic material up to Mercy, the whole thing falls apart after that and it's largely 45 minutes of not overly interesting suspense/dramatic music, except for the occasional nice reprise of prior themes. The couple of action moments are just typical JNH brass marches/stabs that don't for me present anything even vaguely creative or new.

It's a rough one to listen to - I don't agree with Thor's C&C silliness but, man, this could use some pruning. There are some fantastic moments here, especially revolving around Wang's solos and the more FB choir style material and the action is astonishingly fierce - has JNH been this aggressive? But no one can get through this data dump. Please, a nice 70 minutes album.

When it comes to scores like The Orville etc that has countless hours of incredible music, there should be big releases like they did, having over 4 hours of music to give us pretty much all of the highlights. But with a film like this, with the tracks having a lot of underscore type 'filler' tracks, they really should be cut down to a manageable enjoyable and ultimately interesting listen. And I say this as a diehard JNH fan.

On 20/11/2023 at 8:23 AM, Arpy said:

Anyone know where to get the cd? Amazon US is unavailable and I don't see it listed anywhere else 😭

https://www.musicbox-records.com/en/cd-soundtracks/13862-the-hunger-games-the-ballad-of-songbirds-and-snakes.html

I just gave a second chance to the album and I think it clicked more with me. I'm still not impressed by the overly melodramatic appearances of older themes, but the new material composed for the score is pretty good, especially the Snow and Lucy love theme (?). Also, the action music is good and even the suspense parts are more interesting.

I wish JNH just leaned more towards the newer stuff instead of the old material, but I guess stupid Hollywood producers must love their temp tracks. I imagine it was similar for Williams in the SW sequels.

Yeah, I feel the biggest flaw of this score is that relies a bit too much on old themes, even when it doesn't always make sense, and doesn't allow the new material to shine as much.

I mean, his themes for the saga have always been a bit confusing in what they mean or what they represent, but I always interpreted the theme from Arena Crumbles as Katniss theme, so hearing it on Coryo Enters the Capitol and a couple more cues was a bit confusing.

I think the more I listen to this score, the more I warm up to it. The new themes are great (especially the Snow and Lucy theme, which is already one of the best Hunger Games themes JNH wrote) and the Appalachian/folk instrumentation helps differentiate this score from the others.

That said, the Snow/Lucy theme felt to me a little similar to Giacchino's sad and tragic theme from Fallen Kingdom. Maybe another case of temp track?