James Newton Howard - THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS AND SNAKES

JNHFan2000

I wonder which themes he'll reprise. Not many of them, I think, since the plot of this movie will be decades before Katniss, Rue, Peeta, etc., were born, but maybe he'll bring back the Snow theme?

7 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I wonder which themes he'll reprise. Not many of them, I think, since the plot of this movie will be decades before Katniss, Rue, Peeta, etc., were born, but maybe he'll bring back the Snow theme?

He might but in a different variation since it's about a young Snow. So he could use it faster of with instrument in the higher regiment

• 9 months later...

I don't know if it has been posted here already, but this is JNH's next big scoring assignment, longside All the Lights We Cannot See.

The movie looks fine, but I'm especially looking forward to his score, as I really like what he did for the main saga. Many great themes and fantastic action set pieces, and I think this will be more or less in the same vein. He also mentioned in an instagram post or something like that he had been going through his previous scores in preparation for the new one, so I guess he will get to use at least some of his themes in the new one!

54 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

I don't know if it has been posted here already, but this is JNH's next big scoring assignment, longside All the Lights We Cannot See.

The movie looks fine, but I'm especially looking forward to his score, as I really like what he did for the main saga. Many great themes and fantastic action set pieces, and I think this will be more or less in the same vein. He also mentioned in an instagram post or something like that he had been going through his previous scores in preparation for the new one, so I guess he will get to use at least some of his themes in the new one!

I'm really looking forward to this score and movie as well! I have a feeling that many of the secondary themes might return but I'm less sure about the main theme, as that is really tied to Katniss. I can't wait to hear Snow's theme again though, which will surely be used!

Yeah, some themes will not make any sense, like Katniss vocal theme or her love theme with Peeta, but I'm really expecting to hear more variations on Snow's material, and perhaps some of the ideas for the games themselves, but it's true that it's a bit hard to properly identify the meaning of some of the themes through the trilogy.

My favorite moments from the scores for The Hunger Games saga were the more dramatic cues, showcasing the tragedy of Katniss' life.

I love the cue below from 3:25 to the end. It has some of the best dramatic writing JNH ever done. The best part is 4:33 to 4:52, which underscores the moment Katniss wakes up from her nightmare about the first movie and is hugged by Peeta.

Rue's Farewell is beautiful, and there are quite a few moments from Catching Fire that I really like.

However, I will never understand what you hear in Sewer Attack! To me it's just a lot of banging and crashing and glimpse into JNH's modern action. Pretty much none of the music from Mockingjay did anything for me and I actually didn't like the fourth movie at all, despite liking the first three a lot.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

I love the cue below from 3:25 to the end. It has some of the best dramatic writing JNH ever done. The best part is 4:33 to 4:52, which underscores the moment Katniss wakes up from her nightmare about the first movie and is hugged by Peeta.

That's possibly my favorite bit from film 2 as well. JNH has always been good at dramatic, string-led themes like this.

Unfortunately, I think of The Hunger Games series as a huge missed musical opportunity. Don't get me wrong, there are several highlights to each score, but the narrative just isn't there.

I don't blame JNH at all. The temp tracking in each movie is insane. There are several cues from other scores by other composers in the first movie - often in pivotal scenes (the introduction to District 12, the beginning of the games, the ending montage...). And the repurposing of JNH's score from one movie to the next is nonsensical most of the time. For example, 'The Train' from the first movie plays the wonderment of Peeta and Katniss seeing all the luxury that The Capitol has to offer ...in the sequel, it plays the horror of them having to go back in the arena. Every other cue in the last two scores references a cue from the previous scores, and I could never make heads or tails of it. The Katniss theme introduced in Catching Fire sounds the exact same in almost all its reprises, despite the fact that that character goes to hell and back. The same music that plays District 12 in Catching Fire plays District 12 in Mockingjay Part I...and it's been destroyed.

I think it's very telling that the suite at the end of Mockingjay Part 2 is a collection of cues from the franchise. It's a greatest hits package because JNH wasn't allowed to musically tell the story.

I really hope that JNH is allowed to do more with this one. 

16 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Well, the Director is Francis Lawrence again. So no doubt his musical vision he wants JNH to do will be the same.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Well, the Director is Francis Lawrence again. So no doubt his musical vision he wants JNH to do will be the same.

The director mentioned the term Appalachian in terms of music in a recent interview. I’m curious how similar or different the score will be sonically from the HG scores.

2 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

The director mentioned the term Appalachian in terms of music in a recent interview. I’m curious how similar or different the score will be sonically from the HG scores.

Interesting. The first HG's score was very Appalachian sounding.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Lawrence directed a movie whose score a consider to be among JNH's very best: Water for Elephants. He should do more romantic dramas!

And I really like his scores for I am Legend and THG sequels.

He also did Red Sparrow, which is a fantastic score. In fact JNH said that it is one of the scores he’s the most proud of.

On 29/04/2023 at 2:27 AM, ddddeeee said:

Unfortunately, I think of The Hunger Games series as a huge missed musical opportunity. Don't get me wrong, there are several highlights to each score, but the narrative just isn't there.

I don't blame JNH at all. The temp tracking in each movie is insane. There are several cues from other scores by other composers in the first movie - often in pivotal scenes (the introduction to District 12, the beginning of the games, the ending montage...). And the repurposing of JNH's score from one movie to the next is nonsensical most of the time. For example, 'The Train' from the first movie plays the wonderment of Peeta and Katniss seeing all the luxury that The Capitol has to offer ...in the sequel, it plays the horror of them having to go back in the arena. Every other cue in the last two scores references a cue from the previous scores, and I could never make heads or tails of it. The Katniss theme introduced in Catching Fire sounds the exact same in almost all its reprises, despite the fact that that character goes to hell and back. The same music that plays District 12 in Catching Fire plays District 12 in Mockingjay Part I...and it's been destroyed.

I think it's very telling that the suite at the end of Mockingjay Part 2 is a collection of cues from the franchise. It's a greatest hits package because JNH wasn't allowed to musically tell the story.

Another issue for me in the Hunger Games scores is that the music does not take for example clear position of Katniss view. Sometimes yes, then again it plays these heroic propaganda fanfares that that represent the capitols view positively staging these massacres. 

Of course this makes sense in the movie, Still it feels particularly inconsistent musically for me.

• 1 month later...

Pode ser uma imagem de 8 pessoas

What a great time scoring Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes in London. Filmmaking is such a collaborative process, and I am so grateful for my brilliant team, many of whom I’ve worked with for decades!

Thank you Pete Anthony, Jeff Atmajian, Michael Parsons, Steve Durkee, John Prestage, Chris Cozens, Mark Graham, Shawn Levy, and Lionsgate!

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=776313990605304&set=a.242483000655075

On 01/06/2023 at 6:58 PM, Edmilson said:

I'm a huge JNH fan but the Hunger Games scores never gelled with me. Perhaps I should revisit them before this is released.

Any recommended highlights I should sample to get me in the mood?

1 hour ago, LSH said:

I'm a huge JNH fan but the Hunger Games scores never gelled with me. Perhaps I should revisit them before this is released.

Any recommended highlights I should sample to get me in the mood?

Rue’s farewell

9 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

Rue’s farewell

Yes, gorgeous cue. The only one I'm familiar with.

Yeah, this is what JNH excelled in his Hunger Games scores, especially the latter two: emotional and dramatic action music, highlighting how dreary and tragic all that war is instead of "woah, look how cool those special effects are!".

This is something I hope he will return in the prequel.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It doesn't seem the case. Someone else found this Polish website.

It very clearly says "Original Motion Picture Score".

EDIT: Although, the main character of the show is a singer. So there might be some songs on there.

https://www.swiatksiazki.pl/the-hunger-games-the-ballad-of-songbirds-and-snakes-igrzyska-smierci-ballada-ptakow-i-wezy-original-motion-picture-score-2-cd-7065758-muzyka.html

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, MaxMovieMan said:

Can’t wait for this. Hopefully he brings back a lot of the themes from the original series. The last theme in "The Tour" from Catching Fire I especially want to see back. 

Of course a few references, sure, but I’d like to hear something overall new here, especially given that it is set in a much earlier era.

In the CD info above it says some small things about the sound of the score:

"Utilizing Baroque instruments like the viola de gamba and cello d’amore, Howard was able to evoke a more rural, folk feel to the score. Both a nod to the prequel’s earlier time period and also a stylistic extension of the original songs performed throughout by lead Rachel Zegler."

I'm hoping we get themes for the following characters:

Snow (maybe a reworking of his theme heard in the first 4)

Rachel Zegler's character

Viola Davis' villain

Maybe some themes or action motifs for the Hunger Games themselves + some typical Howard beauty of course!

40 pieces! Wow. Long. Unless they're all 30 seconds. 

I'm hoping it's a more smaller score in sound, as the description suggests. Of course we'll get massive dramatic moments, but hopefully the core of the score is HG 1 style where JNH was nicely minimal and it felt really personal.

Sneak peek of JNH’s action music in this.

Sounds good. I just love JNH’s action writing

And It sounds similar to ‘Sewer Attack’, and that’s a great thing!

I hope we can get a long action cue like that one (but without the horrible dry mix please)

I do like the swirly strings in that - nicely conveys a sense of panic. I'm not too hot on JNH when he goes really modern with action, or just does lots of brass/percussion stabs.

Am I alone in finding the wide-angled, handheld camera very effective, or am I just tolerating a modern filmmaking trend? :P