image.png

1. Can’t Catch Me Now – Olivia Rodrigo
2. The Hanging Tree – Rachel Zegler
3. Wool – Flatland Cavalry
4. Nothing You Can Take From Me – Rachel Zegler
5. The Garden – Sierra Ferrell
6. The Ballad of Lucy Gray Baird – Rachel Zegler
7. Bury Me Beneath the Willow – Molly Tuttle
8. The Old Therebefore / Singing at Snakes – Rachel Zegler & James Newton Howard
9. Burn Me Once – Bella White
10. District 12 Stomp – The Covey Band
11. Nothing You Can Take From Me (Boot-Stompin’ Version) – Rachel Zegler & The Covey Band
12. Cabin Song – Billy Strings
13. Lucy Gray (part 1) – Rachel Zegler
14. Pure As the Driven Snow – Rachel Zegler & The Covey Band
15. Winter’s Come and Gone – Charles Wesley Godwin
16. Keep On the Sunny Side – Josie Hope Hall & The Covey Band
17. Lucy Gray (part 2) – Rachel Zegler

Yeah JHN is definitely kicking it up this year. Never been much of a fan of the Hunger Games scores - they came at that deep dark RCP time for JNH but maybe I need to recheck. Do tell me what I should listen to outside of Rue's Farewell. I did not hear much of value in the films outside of the action music for the sewer scene

42 minutes ago, thestat said:

Yeah JHN is definitely kicking it up this year. Never been much of a fan of the Hunger Games scores - they came at that deep dark RCP time for JNH but maybe I need to recheck. Do tell me what I should listen to outside of Rue's Farewell. I did not hear much of value in the films outside of the action music for the sewer scene

The Tour from Catching Fire

@Edmilson

43 minutes ago, Presto said:

The Tour from Catching Fire

@Edmilson

Yep, that's my favorite cue from the entire franchise (so far).

A while ago I posted some highlights of the four scores, I hope it helps more people appreciating them:

17 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

Now that’s the JNH that I love.

It’s not just emotional writing, but there is a hint of ‘fantasy/mystery’ quality in it. That two combination is what I think to be the JNH’s staple that we all fond of.

Now I can’t wait for the score!

Really does sound nice - a bit of Unbreakable, The Huntsman in there and a cameo of 'The Tour' as well. Roll on the full album!

On 07/11/2023 at 1:30 PM, PrayodiBA said:

A track from the new Hunger Games score has been released:

Seems like an arrangement with children choir of this:

I hope this isn't another Secrets of Dumbledore, where he repeated themes, motifs and cues of the first two scores so much that I found a bit annoying.

@JNHFan2000 I like your list of recommended cues. While normally a complete scores kind of guy (and all of these do work well in film context), this is a rare case where I think a highlights approach put these scores in a better light on album. I also note that you suggest the fewest cues from the original Hunger Games, and the most cues from Catching Fire (my favorite film and score in the franchise) -- this fits my preferences exactly.

Yavar

15 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

@JNHFan2000 I like your list of recommended cues. While normally a complete scores kind of guy (and all of these do work well in film context), this is a rare case where I think a highlights approach put these scores in a better light on album. I also note that you suggest the fewest cues from the original Hunger Games, and the most cues from Catching Fire (my favorite film and score in the franchise) -- this fits my preferences exactly.

Yavar

Same here. Cataching Fire is the best score throughout in my opinion.

The last score has some amazing highlights though

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Same here. Cataching Fire is the best score throughout in my opinion.

The last score has some amazing highlights though

Case someone who likes the first score a lot, I think the following 3 scores are definitively better. Catching Fire really introduces so much of the sound and thematic material that is used in the next 2 scores, while retaining the DNA of the first score. My favourite is Mockingjay Part 1 but it’s closely followed by CF and MJ2.

My only gripe with the last score is that there was only one appearance of the Hanging Tree theme. I still think that the Hanging Tree part in the third film is the best sequence in the entire film series, where JNH’s music really takes centre stage. Especially when the choir and the orchestra comes in.

10 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Mockingjay, Pt. 1

The Mockingjay

Incoming Bombers

The Hanging Tree

Air Raid Drill

District 8 Hospital

Put Me On The Air

Victory

That's a nice playlist, but I'd include They're Back. It's one of the best emotional cues in the entire franchise. Also, I'm quite fond of Katniss' Nightmare, which has my favorite arrangement of the Katniss/Peeta love theme.

48 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Case someone who likes the first score a lot, I think the following 3 scores are definitively better. Catching Fire really introduces so much of the sound and thematic material that is used in the next 2 scores, while retaining the DNA of the first score. My favourite is Mockingjay Part 1 but it’s closely followed by CF and MJ2.

My only gripe with the last score is that there was only one appearance of the Hanging Tree theme. I still think that the Hanging Tree part in the third film is the best sequence in the entire film series, where JNH’s music really takes centre stage. Especially when the choir and the orchestra comes in.

But JNH didn't write The Hanging Tree, right? Only provided some orchestral arrangement for it... similar to what Howard Shore did with the Misty Mountains song in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. In both cases I imagine if those had been songs written by the score's composer, they would have been better incorporated in the subsequent score(s). I agree it's a shame that they were kinda forgotten about because in both cases they were musical highlights of their respective films.

Yavar

13 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I would suggest the following tracks for each score so have explore the scores a bit.

Thanks for this!  I put it into a playlist on Spotify and plan to check it out soon

2 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Howard Shore did with the Misty Mountains song in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.  I imagine if those had been songs written by the score's composer, they would have been better incorporated in the subsequent score(s).

I think that's more a case of, already having themes set for things, and that theme not really being necessary if that makes sense.

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Seems like an arrangement with children choir of this:

I hope this isn't another Secrets of Dumbledore, where he repeated themes, motifs and cues of the first two scores so much that I found a bit annoying.

Yes I think you’re right. Would be cool if he takes some one-off motifs from the trilogy and makes them into full on themes. I personally love when composers do this.

Also in the “Mercy” track that was just released at 2:03 you can hear the final theme from “The Tour.” That gave me a rush of nostalgia as personally for me it’s one of my favorite themes and brings back memories of seeing “Catching Fire” in theaters back in 2013. The whole “Hunger Games” series is nostalgic for me at this point so I am very excited for this movie and score.

The album is 87:06 min.

1.    The Dark Days    1:55
2.    Anthem: Gem of Panem    0:43
3.    Coryo in the Capitol    0:44
4.    Assigning the Mentors    2:38
5.    Meet the Mentor    2:01
6.    Gamemaker    1:20
7.    Sejanus    1:58
8.    Hunger Is a Weapon    2:43
9.    Strategy    2:06
10.    Department of War    3:39
11.    The Arena    2:06
12.    Saving Snow    1:23
13.    Ideas Firing    4:23
14.    Happy Hunger Games    3:29
15.    Mercy    2:21
16.    Seize the Opportunity    1:18
17.    Cut the Feed    1:27
18.    Open the Gate    3:46
19.    Powerful    1:44
20.    Afraid of Water    1:18
21.    Drone Attack    3:20
22.    Inside the Duct    1:03
23.    Under the Flag    2:55
24.    Planting the Cloth    3:37
25.    Rainbow of Destruction    1:13
26.    Get Her Out    3:44
27.    The Sound of Snow    1:59
28.    Your Life Has Just Begun    1:03
29.    You Are Safe    1:46
30.    Trust Is Everything    1:20
31.    I Can't Stay Here    1:42
32.    Cabin in the Rain    1:31
33.    Lucy?    2:26
34.    The Woods    1:09
35.    Change of Plan    2:03
36.    Passed the Tests    3:36
37.    Snow Lands on Top    3:29
38.    I. Friendship (Yuja Wang)    2:05
39.    II. Rue's Farewell (Yuja Wang)    2:03
40.    III. Victor (Yuja Wang)    2:00

1 hour ago, Cristian Lee said:

The album is 87:06 min.

1.    The Dark Days    1:55
2.    Anthem: Gem of Panem    0:43
3.    Coryo in the Capitol    0:44
4.    Assigning the Mentors    2:38
5.    Meet the Mentor    2:01
6.    Gamemaker    1:20
7.    Sejanus    1:58
8.    Hunger Is a Weapon    2:43
9.    Strategy    2:06
10.    Department of War    3:39
11.    The Arena    2:06
12.    Saving Snow    1:23
13.    Ideas Firing    4:23
14.    Happy Hunger Games    3:29
15.    Mercy    2:21
16.    Seize the Opportunity    1:18
17.    Cut the Feed    1:27
18.    Open the Gate    3:46
19.    Powerful    1:44
20.    Afraid of Water    1:18
21.    Drone Attack    3:20
22.    Inside the Duct    1:03
23.    Under the Flag    2:55
24.    Planting the Cloth    3:37
25.    Rainbow of Destruction    1:13
26.    Get Her Out    3:44
27.    The Sound of Snow    1:59
28.    Your Life Has Just Begun    1:03
29.    You Are Safe    1:46
30.    Trust Is Everything    1:20
31.    I Can't Stay Here    1:42
32.    Cabin in the Rain    1:31
33.    Lucy?    2:26
34.    The Woods    1:09
35.    Change of Plan    2:03
36.    Passed the Tests    3:36
37.    Snow Lands on Top    3:29
38.    I. Friendship (Yuja Wang)    2:05
39.    II. Rue's Farewell (Yuja Wang)    2:03
40.    III. Victor (Yuja Wang)    2:00

How did you get this?

Not even sure what more classical really means in this context - less dissonance/tension?

Lack of electronics in the action music might make them more interesting, but not in other areas. Normal underscore can use synths very creatively.

On 09/11/2023 at 8:09 PM, Cristian Lee said:

87 minutes....fuck me! Thank God I'm not really into this HUNGER GAMES thingie, and am content with the Silva compilation for all of the previous films.  That album is at a perfect 56 minutes, but I suppose I could tag on some 10-15 minutes from this without causing too much damage. How many films are there going to be, anyway?

In interviews the director & producer have said that this is just the one of prequel. And that they will only do more if Suzanne Collins (writer of the books) writes more books.

They are not (as of now) planning to do a Fantastic Beasts with Collins writing the scripts like Rowling did (which did not work out)

48 minutes ago, Thor said:

87 minutes....fuck me!

Length and curation... neither are to be found here. Unfortunately for you, I think JNH has gone firmly down the path of releasing the bulk of the score for things lately.

Given that I rarely watch new cinematic releases, I tend to enjoy curation like you do and enjoy these things more as concept albums. I'm not gonna complain about more music being available though.

The first album is a nice concise 45 mins... the second I can just about swallow. By Mockingbird, he's lost me (partly because I didn't like the last film).

40 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Length and curation... neither are to be found here. Unfortunately for you, I think JNH has gone firmly down the path of releasing the bulk of the score for things lately.

Indeed. Very sad.

I wouldn't even need two albums, if we're talking digital files. I could survive well by having a note or some form of suggested curation by the producer/composer, and then just organize my cues according to that note and delete the rest (rather than attempt some lameass playlisting myself, which also eats up unnecessary time). Maybe I'll suggest that to JNH somehow.

For physical, it's a different story. Then I'd like to just put on the CD, press play and have a nice, consise experience of some 30-50 minutes, like most other pop albums. I'm not interested in programming my CD player every time I put something on. So THEN we would need two separate albums.

9 minutes ago, Thor said:

For physical, it's a different story. Then I'd like to just put on the CD, press play and have a nice, consise experience of some 30-50 minutes, like most other pop albums. I'm not interested in programming my CD player every time I put something on. So THEN we would need two separate albums.

Most CD players have memory, you know.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Most CD players have memory, you know.

I know, but as I said -- programming the CD is completely out of the question.

I have this HUNGER GAMES thingie now, in file format. Gonna give it a sampling and see if it's worth owning and whittling....

I also agree that I prefer to have longer albums, even if it doesn't always make for the most entertaining listening experience. That way, you can then pick your favorite cues and arrange them into a shorter presentation or just listen to the full thing. I think that's a better way of releasing a score than having a 40-50 minute album that leaves out a great cue that you have to wait many years to hear properly outside the movie.

About this score, I feel that if you like JNH's scores for the saga you will enjoy this one, as it's basically an expansion on that sound, and on many of those themes and motifs, most of them returning on one way or another, even if it doesn't always make a lot of sense. I feel the album is missing some big action sequence, but I haven't watched the movie, so perhaps most of the action stuff is just left unscored. My other small complain is that I didn't catch any interesting new idea for the new characters. It's a bit of a disappointment in that aspect, but I'm sure that's just because it's only a first listen, and watching the movie and listening to the score a couple more times will help me appreciate it a lot more.

I've had a quick listen-through (skipping in some tracks, I admit), and didn't find much to latch on to other than the references to the themes from the previous films, which I already have covered by the Silva compilation. So as I'm no JNH completist, I can breathe a sigh of relief. No need to have it, no need to whittle it.