James Horner's BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (1980) - 2023 2-CD Intrada

Jay

It really is. I suppose we have Sarah Horner to thank.  But I’m really loving this, hearing the seeds of a career based on equal parts borrowing and brilliance.  It’s like going back to the first generation of a Xerox copy and appreciating the first time the familiar Hornerisms came to life. 

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't seen any of his pre-Wrath of Khan films! 

I have just seen Wolfen. That wasn't bad.

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Yes. It's not good, but I'm a sucker for 80s sci-fi, especially with such good score.

I was too. In the 80s. And I wonder how I managed to miss this one.

43 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Anybody seen the movie?

With a John Sayles script and actors like Robert Vaughn, John Saxon and George Peppard, it should be better than it is.  It gets a little lost under its own weight.  I wish they’d gone for more intentional humor. 

That said, this is the granddaddy of budget Star Wars rip-offs.  Essential viewing for kids who grew up with early issues of Starlog Magazine, and an appreciation for old school starship model vfx.  It’s got some fun aliens, costumes, and Sybil Danning’s boobs give the infamously busty spaceship some competition.  Unfortunately the lead human Luke and Leia stand ins are pretty dull. Maybe I was too used to Richard Thomas as John Boy from The Waltons. 

A wonderful time capsule of the single Star Wars film era, with of course a great score.   Most days, I’d prefer to rot my brain with Starcrash before BBTS. 

I happen to love this film. It's a clunky B movie, but it gave a boost to Jim Cameron and James Horner's career, and this score was one of the reasons James Horner was hired for Star Trek II.

Also an excellent companion score to Humanoids from the Deep.

I am praying this is complete / expanded from the original master tapes, which would fulfill a major part of my Holy Grail list.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I think I have this on DVD.

My nephew was going through my DVDs one time and asked "What's Krull?" My brother replied "It means Uncle Bill has too much money."

I said "No, I LOVE Krull. Battle Beyond the Stars means I have too much money!"

I have this on Blu-ray (steelbook). Lots of fun.

My favorite Star Wars Rip-Offs

Legitimately Good:

The Black Hole

Flash Gordon

So Bad They’re Good:

StarCrash

Battle Beyond the Stars

Message From Space

The Humanoid (This one is crazy and needs a Hi Def release)

2 hours ago, Ollie said:

Yes, I actually saw it in the theatre when it was released.

me too, at least I think I did. Maybe a drive-in theater? I was quite young. I just remember not getting past the idea I was watching the guy from The Waltons

I hope this one will be released digitally too, as with Deadly Blessing and Humanoids from the Deep! I noticed a few weeks ago that the older Battle Beyond the Stars release was no longer available to stream.

1 hour ago, pete said:

me too, at least I think I did. Maybe a drive-in theater? I was quite young. I just remember not getting past the idea I was watching the guy from The Waltons

It was my introduction to Sybil Danning. 😉

7 hours ago, Trope said:

I hope this one will be released digitally too, as with Deadly Blessing and Humanoids from the Deep! I noticed a few weeks ago that the older Battle Beyond the Stars release was no longer available to stream.

Pretty sure it will, being a Shout release. I'll pick this and HftD up together.

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've always liked this score. So what if "Malmori Rearguard" rips off "Klingon Battle", "Klingon Battle" rips off Prokofiev. It's the circle of life ;)

The Klingon theme itself sounds like something from Vaughan-Williams' fourth.

Karol

So does anyone feel that correcting the original performance is revisionist?  I mean, I think it’ll ultimately be a good thing, but film purists get touch about this sort of thing. 

22 minutes ago, Andy said:

So does anyone feel that correcting the original performance is revisionist?  I mean, I think it’ll ultimately be a good thing, but film purists get touch about this sort of thing. 

Thing is, that bad musical performance, can sometimes make something feel off kilter, and is usually foreground, something that a minor visual mistake, doesn't quite equivalent to

I think for this and Superman IV the use of different takes to make some performance corrections is a good choice.

This is a tool to be used in specific circumstances if it truly benefits the music.

I think the sample for the Main Title must have been done lower res than the rest of the samples, it sounds distant and pinched compared to everything else.

I think the actual cue on the CD will sound perfectly fine.

6 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I think the sample for the Main Title must have been done lower res than the rest of the samples, it sounds distant and pinched compared to everything else.

It was mono when I listened to it.

8 minutes ago, Andy said:

My ears suck. I will need to have the flubs and corrections A/B’d so I can compare them. 

Not to sound like a jerk, I find that it's more something you feel (rhythmically) than hear with your ears sometimes.

Not jerky sounding at all. I get what you’re saying.  Not an instrument player myself, I have a tendency, right or wrong, to let the whole of the orchestra wash over me. I have to really train myself to listen to the sum of the parts so to speak.