CUTTHROAT ISLAND (2-CD) - Music Composed by John Debney - Quartet Records

JTN

IMG_0011.jpeg

Quartet Records and StudioCanal present the CD return of John Debney’s symphonic opus for the adventure classic CUTTHROAT ISLAND. 

Directed by Renny Harlin and starring Geena Davis, Matthew Modine and Frank Langella, the movie is a big-budget, swashbuckling throwback about Morgan Adams, a female pirate, and her crew racing to find a hidden island containing a fabulous treasure before her uncle, Dawg Brown. Along the way there are sword fights, chases, storms at sea and all sorts of high adventure, all produced on an epic scale.

Keeping up with the massive visuals was composer John Debney (HOCUS POCUS, WHITE FANG 2, LITTLE GIANTS, THE PASSION OF CHRIST) who led the London Symphony Orchestra and the London Voices for the recording. Considered one of the 90s best adventure scores, and one of Debney’s most highly regarded works, this orchestral tour de force returns to CD with the same expanded program as the previous La-La Land Records album released in 2016 and long sold out.

This reissue has been produced by Neil S. Bulk, and mixed and mastered by Mike Matessino. The package includes a 16-page booklet with updated liner notes by Jeff Bond and original artwork by Drew Struzan.

https://quartetrecords.com/product/cutthroat-island-2-cd/

I don’t remember owning the previous release, so I ordered this one. 

What’s a good track for me to sample?  Usually I’m only as enthusiastic for Debney as I am for the music the movie was temped with, if you catch my drift.

I adore this score. It may not be very original sounding, but what it tries to achieve it achieves with flying colours, especially thanks to the LSO's top-notch playing. Also, the End Credits of this score is possibly the most End Creditsy-sounding thing out there.

I'll have to look into this one! I've got a handful of tracks that I think I got from the OST from one of the digital retailers at least a decade ago, with 35 minutes of music, but you know what happens - you get a nice proper remaster and find lots of extra bits you like.

Although any brief hope I may have had that ordering from a European retailer helped with shipping.... HAH. 20 euros for one CD for the UK. I got Quartet's The Good, The Bad and the Ugly release from Intrada, so I'm probably about to start a game of waiting for Intrada to have TLW, The Rock, Hook and this in stock all at the same time. What could possibly go wrong. (considering that precisely zero of the titles I just mentioned are currently in stock)

I think I found it had the same issue as ID4 - just a bit loud and overwhelming when heard in full form. But I'm completely open to giving it another shot and discovering some extra parts that I haven't heard in years.

Fantastic to see this back in print. I've got three albums of this already so I'm good. But I rather fancy the new vinyl of the OST album. Might get that. Fancy some Matessino/Malone magic sprinkled with cute crackles. Quartet releases are actually very lovingly done.

Karol

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

think you're mixing this up with Stephen Oliver's Lady Jane.

I’m not familiar with that score. Do you recommend it?

I agree on the long-linedness! That's what makes tracks like Carriage Chase so great. You don't get these frustrating breaks or cuts that you come across so often in action music. Or, at least, Debney camouflages them very well. (ID4 is a lot like that, too.)

Is it wrong that I liked this  movie more than Pirates of the Caribbean:The Curse of the Black Pearl (I haven't seen any of the others - because after the 18th hour of the first one (that movie DID NOT NEED TO BE SO FREAKIN' LONG),  I'd really had enough of Pirates: Bruckheimer Style)?

9 hours ago, Cindylover1969 said:

Is it wrong that I liked this  movie more than Pirates of the Caribbean:The Curse of the Black Pearl (I haven't seen any of the others - because after the 18th hour of the first one (that movie DID NOT NEED TO BE SO FREAKIN' LONG),  I'd really had enough of Pirates: Bruckheimer Style)?

I like them all.

But yes, CutThroat Island is pretty great!

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm glad I gave this score a proper try and bought it even half-blind! It's just magnificent. And really fun! A bit exhausting though with its length and dense sound. In fact, maybe the one thing I don't like is how the recording isn't necessarily always up to the requirements of such a huge sound, it can feel a bit stuffy, the percussion can go overboard, there's that section in The Battle where the strings are supposed to carry the melodic line but they're off to the distant far left... but for the most part it sounds great!

3 minutes ago, Holko said:

there's that section in The Battle where the strings are supposed to carry the melodic line but they're off to the distant far left...

Timestamp?

21 minutes ago, Loert said:

Timestamp?

1:11-1:18 (horns take over the line from then but the strings continue in the back until 1:22)

Goddammit I had to listen to the full track because of you, I can't just stop there. That fiddle near the end rules! Adds some much needed diversity and more fun.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

there's that section in The Battle where the strings are supposed to carry the melodic line but they're off to the distant far left...

I've always assumed it's an intentional orchestration effect. I like it.

• 3 weeks later...

If I had to criticize, that is the one mixing choice I didn't agree with on the release. On past releases it was much more balanced at that part. I suppose they were trying to match the film mix more but it just doesn't work for me.