RIP Seiji Ozawa

Jay

This must have put a dampener on Williams's birthday.

I don't have much by Ozawa - only the Fauré Requiem (which I've rarely played and don't remember), and Respighi's Rome cycles - and apparently another Respighi album I don't even recall having. I remember disliking his Carmina Burana when I heard it, but while that kind of made me tend to stay away from his other recordings, it probably shouldn't, because I dislike almost all Carmina Burana's that are not Jochum's.

I've seen him conduct I believe twice at least back in the earlier 2000s when he was musical director at the Vienna State Opera and I was going there constantly on student tickets. He was around 70 and perhaps getting a bit thinner, but was still very lively and still had his famous full head of hair (when I - in my 20s at the time - was already losing mine). That cancer diagnosis really took a toll on him - and he still had the tenacity to live for 20 more years (and get the chance to bring Williams to Japan at last).

RIP.

Sad news. As for as I know, my only CD of his was a recording of Pini di Roma (with other assorted pieces), but that one I listened to quite a lot back then.

His recording of A Midsummer's Night Dream is also pretty defitive, in my book.

I was also very fond of his Scheherazade, but since that was the version I grew up with, my appreciation for it is probably not completely impartial

Sad news, and makes Williams' recent last meeting with him all the more poignant.

I think I have Ozawa's recording of Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex somewhere in my CD collection... Will give it a spin tonight and toast him with a glass of wine.

6 hours ago, Romão said:

His recording of A Midsummer's Night Dream is also pretty defitive, in my book.

Sounds good! I've always been happy with by Previn/LSO version, and it works very well without narration, so I've been shying away from other versions which are either abridged of have narration. But I guess I can live with it when it's Judi Dench doing the narrating.

Very sad news, but it is somewhat comforting that Seiji Ozawa and John Williams met last September in Japan and according to Seiji's own words it made him very happy.

The BSO held a small tribute to Ozawa at the beginning of Friday's concert, when the orchestra's president spoke a few words Ozawa and the orchestra then performed Bach's Air on the G String in Ozawa's memory. They've shared it on social media, but Facebook has turned their tribute into a farce by muting the Bach work "due to copyright claim":

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1607746470038048

The BSO held a small tribute to Ozawa at the beginning of Friday's concert, when the orchestra's president spoke a few words Ozawa and the orchestra then performed Bach's Air on the G String in Ozawa's memory. They've shared it on social media, but Facebook has turned their tribute into a farce by muting the Bach work "due to copyright claim":

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1607746470038048

The uncensored video is available on YouTube:

On 11/2/2024 at 3:04 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Very touching tribute.