Andrea Datzman’s INSIDE OUT 2 (2024)

Max

According to the latest poster, Andrea Datzman is scoring Inside Out 2!

IMG_0559.jpeg

This is her first score for a feature film, right? That’s neat! I’m looking forward to hearing it!

37 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

That’s a shame, was looking forward to hear Gi revisit the themes he wrote for the first score

She is going definately use Giacchino's themes...

She also wrote Triple Dent Gum from the first movie

37 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Fixed

Outside of the "Pixar hasn't made a good movie since The Incredibles" crowd, I don't think many people have lower expectations for this movie than I do. And that looked like a reasonable sequel to the first one.

With most of his former Pixar colleagues jumping ship for Skydance animation, it won't surprise me if MG wanted to follow along, all without burning the bridges. Also his ambitions for filmmaking and all that.

In any case, I think this will turn out better in Datzman's hands than if MG were to return. No matter what the film's quality may be like, a composer who is new to the scene is more likely to take advantage of the situation and give it their best than one who's already "seen it all".

Knowing she is Giacchino's wife makes me think she will definitely use his themes, so I'm okay with someone else scoring the film as long as it's a good score, and perhaps she will bring a new perspective or a new voice to the project. Looking forward to it!

9 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

With most of his former Pixar colleagues jumping ship for Skydance animation, it won't surprise me if MG wanted to follow along, all without burning the bridges. Also his ambitions for filmmaking and all that.

In any case, I think this will turn out better in Datzman's hands than if MG were to return. No matter what the film's quality may be like, a composer who is new to the scene is more likely to take advantage of the situation and give it their best than one who's already "seen it all".

But she's not really new....

I've seen the first one twice and I can only recall two bits of music - Nomanisone Island and Tears of Joy. Hence to me it wasn't a movie that relied on its score anywhere near as much as some Pixar movies, so I think it's good material for a composer who doesn't have much big stuff under her belt.

Is someone new ever really an unacceptable continuation of a franchise though? As long as the score they write isn't outright bad.

I could understand more with perhaps Toy Story where a departure from Newman's jazzy sound would be very noticeable, and some other guy writing a more generic score without Newman's themes wouldn't be warmly welcomed.

53 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Is someone new ever really an unacceptable continuation of a franchise though? As long as the score they write isn't outright bad.

I could understand more with perhaps Toy Story where a departure from Newman's jazzy sound would be very noticeable, and some other guy writing a more generic score without Newman's themes wouldn't be warmly welcomed.

Do you like both Giacchino Toy Story Specials? ;P

Never seen them :) 

Unless you're implying that Gia is 'some other guy' doing a generic score, you're stretching my argument a tad :P 

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Is someone new ever really an unacceptable continuation of a franchise though?

Leonard Rosenman, Robocop 2.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

As long as the score they write isn't outright bad.

Leonard Rosenman, Robocop 2.

• 2 months later...

I saw some Youtube comments on the first trailer saying stuff like "The first movie came out when I was a child...", "I grew up with the first Inside Out..." and I was like

Despair GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

The first Inside Out came out in 2015! How come there are people nostalgic for their childhoods in 2015?!? On that year I was already 22, had a drivers license, started on my first job and was finishing graduation!

Sigh... I can barely accept people with childhood nostalgia for the early 2010s, but people with childhood nostalgia for mid-to-late 2010s is just too much *despair intensifies*

9 years from any single digit age to later is so wildly different from 9 years from 22 to 31.  for me (35 to 44) it feels like the first movie still recently came out

I know, it's just that people feeling nostalgic for a movie that came out in year that I already was an adult with a license and a job is just so... :banghead:

Guess I'll have to get used to it.

We're probably not that far from hearing about nostalgia for the Star Wars sequels.

I had a very existential realization months ago that this most recent school year was the year where every student in high school had been born the years I was in high school, basically any birthday between Summer 2005-Summer 2009. Feel like I've crossed some sort of threshold. 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

We're probably not that far from hearing about nostalgia for the Star Wars sequels.

Indeed. 

The prequels went from being everyone's favorite punching bag to great works of cinema due to the kids who grew up with them becoming not only adults but actually the majority of users on social media who completely turned the discourse in their favor. 

Eventually, the kids who grew up with the prequel trilogy will get even older and younger people who grew up with the sequels will take their place as the majority of users on the internet. Then, it will be just a matter of time for the prevailing sense for those movies to turn completely in their favor.

And not just the sequels: in a few years we'll see posts like "I grew up with Solo: A Star Wars Story, watched it in theaters when I was 8 and then numerous times later on streaming! Here's why it's actually a great movie..."

If I remember correctly prequel hate was at its peak around 2012, right around when the Plinkett reviews came out (2009-2015). That basically began 10 years after TPM came out, and fizzled out around when the prequel kids were old enough to dominate the Internet.

TFA came out 10 years ago next year, so I'd give sequel hate another 7 years or so, if it follows a similar timeline it'll climax and start to fizzle out around 2028.

I actually had a moment where I was like "wait, it's been six years since Solo came out!? Good lord" after Powell made an anniversary post about it.

Just now, mstrox said:

Hard to believe prequel hate peaked any later than maybe June 1999.

What about June 2002?

24 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Indeed. 

The prequels went from being everyone's favorite punching bag to great works of cinema due to the kids who grew up with them becoming not only adults but actually the majority of users on social media who completely turned the discourse in their favor. 

Eventually, the kids who grew up with the prequel trilogy will get even older and younger people who grew up with the sequels will take their place as the majority of users on the internet. Then, it will be just a matter of time for the prevailing sense for those movies to turn completely in their favor.

And not just the sequels: in a few years we'll see posts like "I grew up with Solo: A Star Wars Story, watched it in theaters when I was 8 and then numerous times later on streaming! Here's why it's actually a great movie..."

I also think a lot of it is just a healthy disrespect for older people constantly telling you what's good and what's not. Older classics can become "boring" in the same way. 

15 minutes ago, The Great Gonzales said:

"Goldsmith? Ewww.. thats old stuff, we listen to Volker Bettelman now!"

As long as Volker Berttelman's cues are shorter than a TikTok video :lol:

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

Hard to believe prequel hate peaked any later than maybe June 1999.

It must have peaked a little bit later, as it was the only post Original trilogy film to have a worldwide release like in the days of old, i mean premiere in the US in May and subsequent releases in other countries during the rest of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to hear Giacchino's themes are back. I really like his score for the first entry, so knowing his themes return is lovely. And reading the titles, it's great to know that his wife is keeping the pun-filled style tracks!

1600x1600bb.webp

1 Outside Intro 0:55
2 Go Team! 2:26
3 The Life of Riley 2:32
4 Thread the Needle 1:06
5 Riley Protection System 2:46
6 Creating a Sense of Self 1:30
7 Demo Day 1:57
8 Ride and Prejudice 2:18
9 Anxious to Meet You 2:21
10 Seeking Val-idation 1:44
11 Sending Out an S.o.S. 2:45
12 Bloofy & Co. 2:59
13 Flight for Fighting 2:48
14 Fawn of a New Day 0:55
15 Return to Imagination Land 1:08
16 To Project and Disserve 3:19
17 What's the Big Idea? 2:30
18 Red Hairing 1:17
19 Recovering a Sense of Self 2:54
20 Joyless 1:53
21 The Puck Drops Here 2:58
22 A Mind at Freeze 2:43
23 Growing Up Is Hard to Do 4:18
24 Glide and Joy 2:00
25 Every Messy, Beautiful Part of Her 2:43
26 Inside Outro 2:21
27 Done Track Mind 8:15
Total: 67:21

The impression I had of the music after seeing the movie yesterday is that to my ears it was absolutely interchangeable, simple, blandly orchestrated and undemanding. In other words: the usual average team Giacchino score.
The first 10 minutes in particular, in which something could be established musically, seemed so generic and loveless to me when I tried to concentrate strictly on the score...

I didn’t like this as much as the original but “generic” it is not.

I listened to the OST album on Friday and liked it a lot!  I was really thrown for a loop when the rock music came into things, but came to completely love it by the end of the album.  Can't wait to see the film now.

9 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I disagree whole heartedly!

7 hours ago, Stark said:

I didn’t like this as much as the original but “generic” it is not.

I didn't want to offend anyone. Of course, that's just my subjective perception (and attitude towards the Giacchinos, I have to admit) - I'll definitely lend the album an ear at some point. 
Don't let my opinion spoil your fun :)

Certainly not, and you didn't offend (at least not me).

I just don't agree with you. I'm a massive Giacchino fan and there's no one who can talk me out of that🤣

Oh i used to be a massive Giacchino fan too. Even met him when I was visiting Jack Hayes years ago and thought he was very nice.
Thought The Incredibles was a masterpiece and from then on listened to everything I could get my hands on. I guess it was with Up and the latest with MI Ghost Protocol that I started to analyze how he composes and how he wants his orchestrations and got a bit depressed - up until Incredibles 2 where I lost interest completely :folder:

This is a super fun passage (variation on my favorite of Giacchino's themes from the first film):

Just finished listening to both Inside Out albums back-to-back. It was ages ago that I heard the first movies album and I think it starts very strong but kinda lost itself in by the end. I found the second one to be the opposite, together they make a interesting 2-hour album. 

One of the new themes remind me of another one from Forrest Gump... probably just my mind playing tricks on me.