James Horner's THE LADY IN RED (1979) - NEW! 2024 Intrada premiere release

Jay

Some low quality snippets of the score with a bit of FX here:

Someone on FSM described this style as "Dixie Land jazz." It's probably not to everyone's taste, but sounds fun to me.

Not a big fan of ragtime, so it might fall into the same bag as the banjo country music in THE PURSUIT OF D.B. COOPER (which is one of the few Horners I don't own, and have no intention to), but still find it great that there are so many Horner projects in the pipeline; getting those rare and unreleased things out there.

This is an immediate order for me.

No familiarity with this score but James Horner’s very first score.

i never thought this one would ever see the light.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Does this movie have anything to do with this song or vice versa? Because every time I see its name I hear Chris DeBurgh's voice singing "Lady in Reeeeeed..."

No, the song came out 7 years after the film.

I’m torn.  I really would like to have it as a bottle cap, but if the whole thing is old timey source music without any Hornerisms, then…

13 hours ago, Andy said:

I’m torn.  I really would like to have it as a bottle cap, but if the whole thing is old timey source music without any Hornerisms, then…

I did hear some proto-Hornerisms at 0:30 of the video above, but other than that I think this will be mostly 1930s source stuff.

Also, apparently Tarantino is a huge fan of the movie:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200323145539/http://thenewbev.com/tarantinos-reviews/the-lady-in-red/

29 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I did hear some proto-Hornerisms at 0:30 of the video above, but other than that I think this will be mostly 1930s source stuff.

You’re right! Sounds a lot like the pastoral stuff from Deadly Blessing.  Hmmm. 

Never heard of the film or the score. Glad for those who have. 

Roger says:

INTRADA Announces:

THE LADY IN RED
Composed and Adapted by JAMES HORNER
INTRADA ISC 503

Intrada announces the premiere release of James Horner's first film score, the 1979 gangster drama The Lady in Red. The producers and directors had a very specific vision for what the music should sound like: they wanted it to reflect the 1930s setting with a score that adapted songs from the period. This is most prominent in Horner's adapation of 42nd Street, composed by Harry Warren. James Horner was quite adept at scoring for jazz and big band ensembles throughout his prolific career. His adaptations and original jazz numbers are crisp and skillfully written. The dramatic music is scored for a modest orchestra of trumpets, trombones, acoustic guitars, woodwinds and percussion. There are no ensemble strings and there are no French horns or tuba. It makes Horner's first film score one of his more unique.

For this release, thanks to the generous cooperation of the James Horner estate and Shout! Studios, Intrada was able to access the 2″ 16-track 30 ips session masters, preserved in pristine condition and newly mixed down to vivid two-track stereo, quite possibly for the first time as the film itself was only mixed in mono sound. Every instrument was recorded onto its own track on the masters, with one exception: the trombone. Given the prominence of the instrument in certain cues, we have positioned the tenor trombone on the left and the second on the right. The resulting timbre is both vibrant and exciting.

The film follows the life of young Polly Franklin (Pamela Sue Martin) from her childhood with an abusive father, through prostitution, to her run-in with John Dillinger (Robert Conrad), a notorious American gangster of the Great Depression.The Lady In Red’s originality lies in its feminist interpretation of the gangster film.

INTRADA ISC 503
Retail Price: $22.99
Bar Code: 720258550309
Starts shipping 3/22
For track listing and sound samples, please visit https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12980/.f

https://www.facebook.com/groups/95015405220/posts/10168841925905221/

THE LADY IN RED
James Horner
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 503
Film Date: 1979
Album Date: 2024
Time: 27:28
Tracks: 22
Starts Shipping 3/22/2024
Price: $22.99

01. Theme From The Lady In Red (1:57)
02. Main Title Music – 42nd Street (0:35)
03. First Bank Robbery (1:15)
04. Now That You Know (0:58)
05. Lonely (1:55)
06. The Garden Party (2:14)
07. 42nd Street – Juke Box Source (1:12)
08. Playing Baseball (0:59)
09. Love Theme (Film Version) (1:58)
10. California (1:07)
11. Laying The Trap – Part 1 (0:32)
12. Laying The Trap – Part 2 (0:19)
13. Dillinger’s Death #1 (0:58)
14. Dillinger’s Death #2 (1:38)
15. Polly’s Slap (0:46)
16. The Getaway (0:45)
17. Eddie’s Goodbye (0:39)
18. Pop’s Death (0:30)
19. 42nd Street – The Eggs (0:38)
20. End Title (1:38)
21. Love Theme – Postlude (2:02)
Score Time: 24:30

THE EXTRA
22. Oriental Blues (2:58)
Total CD Time: 27:28

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12980/.f

media.nl?id=43348&c=ACCT67745&h=GySf7hWE

media.nl?id=43349&c=ACCT67745&h=ue5Ozqpy

media.nl?id=43350&c=ACCT67745&h=zacWKIKB

Oddly, Roger and Doug seem to be saying the same thing this time… someone added the following on Facebook:

”James Horner's first movie assignment—but certainly not the last from Intrada if we have anything to say about it...”

Yavar

Whether that is truly representative of the score, I don't know.  But that trailer makes me want to watch the movie.  A good Corman cheapie with Tommy guns?  Looks good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/03/2024 at 3:55 PM, Jay said:

Didn't see that coming.  24bit/96khz for 12 bucks on qobuz

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/the-lady-in-red-james-horner/lrjlnyvmzyoca

That's a great bargain! But I really wish Qobuz and the like would include a liner notes PDF. Insightful notes are part of the joy of collecting film music.

Yavar

I doubt piracy is a factor. Probably just too much effort - they'd have to get publishers to send them PDFs for everything. I'm amazed Apple Music is able to get so many album covers at 3000px.

I've bought this totally blind.  Never seen (never even heard of) the movie, and only watched the trailer above, didn't listen to the samples.  Looking forward to a nice blind first listen.