Best and Worst JW trailer music?

If we're talking trailers for which JW wrote bespoke music, options that come to mind are:

• Nixon
  • HPSS
  • POA
  • Hook
  • TFA

Any others? Of those, HPSS is probably my favorite. Least favorite is 1941, which lacks the zany exuberance of the score proper. (Although I admit I'm not familiar with Nixon.)

Nixon, IMO, is hands down the single greatest trailer ever cut with the single greatest piece of trailer music of all time! Nothing comes even close.

I think the worst use of Williams' music in any trailer is the Dial of Destiny trailer. :folder:

-Erik-

If we're going strictly with trailers that JW scored specifically, I think you have to also add Bachelor Flat and None But The Brave to the list.  Don't know that any of them are "worst", but while I do think the 1941 trailer music is fun and a great listen, since it doesn't technically have any thematic material from the actual movie (which hadn't been composed at that stage), guess I'd go with that one as least favorite.

On 2/4/2024 at 10:52 AM, Erik Woods said:

Nixon, IMO, is hands down the single greatest trailer ever cut with the single greatest piece of trailer music of all time! Nothing comes even close.

Yeah, I’m gonna have to agree here. That trailer was a masterpiece, selling us on Nixon’s life as a modern-day Greek tragedy. (The movie itself was just as great; probably Stone’s high-water mark as a filmmaker.)

Tangent: Will we get a trailer for Spielberg's JW documentary?  I wonder how it will be scored.  

This will always be one of my favorites. Don't know if it's written entirely by Williams or just the second half but the tension in the first half building to the very last time we ever hear the Harry/family theme until the 8th movie is incredibly satisfying:

That's a shame, I figured that's what it was but still was hoping for it to be Williams. Either way it was at least nice to hear it before the films abandon the old themes almost entirely.

21 hours ago, Tom said:

Tangent: Will we get a trailer for Spielberg's JW documentary?  I wonder how it will be scored.  

I doubt it will be. Will probably only have existing music (did the Morricone documentary have original music?).

I know nuttin' 'bout no trailers. They've never interested me much, nor their music. But I'm reminded of something we talked about in another thread, the wonderful use of Preisner's FAIRY TALE in the A.I. trailer. Was any Williams music ready at that point?