The Ol' College Try

I've been getting rid of a few of my expansions, and recently came across the 3-CD set for A.I. I was reminded of the glowing reviews I read on here, and how happy I was to get a hold of it. But, try as I might, I just cannot get into this score. I've read reviews, and analyses. I've been through every thread I could find on it. I even spent a whole week listening to nothing else, and this score just does nothing for me. I don't find it intellectually or emotionally stimulating. It's the only John Williams score to have this effect on me. That got me thinking if anyone else has scores like this. The supposedly "great" ones we just can't find the love for, despite giving it the ol' college try.

Mine:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence - John Williams

Batman - Danny Elfman

LotR - Howard Shore

41 minutes ago, Stark said:

I find it unapproachable

What about it do you find this way? I mean, I kind of get it. There's a lot of harp noodling in there lol.

Doctor Zhivago. The main theme is pretty but it's now kind of an evergreen, and the whole score is built around that. I liked the Main Title theme more but it's only used there lol.

Lawrence of Arabia is good and the theme is great... But honestly I would've preferred if Elmer Bernstein's To Kill a Mockingbird had won the Oscar that year.

2 hours ago, Stark said:

For me, it’s ET. Aside from the flying cues I find it unapproachable… and I am a fan of Close Encounters and War of the Worlds!

You just need to listen to the concise presentation of the OST. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I was going to say the same thing about A.I. in the first post. It shines in the OST, it's a chore on the expansion. A.I. has risen steadily to be a top 5 Williams for me - the beautiful ebb and flow between warm and cold there is unique in Williams' ouevre.

As for the topic at hand, well several come to mind. Any given John Barry Bond score, for example. Or Herrmann's VERTIGO. Despite my many and best efforts, I've not been able to get into them.

I adore A.I., but I made myself a 51-minute mix and listen to that. Don't think I can sit through the entire score and get the same enjoyment.

In terms of (supposedly) great scores, I struggle with LotR, Conan the Barbarian, and La La Land. I will say no more.

2 minutes ago, Loert said:

I adore A.I., but I made myself a 51-minute mix and listen to that. Don't think I can sit through the entire score and get the same enjoyment.

In terms of (supposedly) great scores, I struggle with LotR, Conan the Barbarian, and La La Land. I will say no more.

Yeah, threads like these are always a bit of a bummer. So many of my own favourites mentioned already, that somehow others don't like. The name of the game, I suppose.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This is actually what I prefer, and I NEVER prefer shorter presentations!

5 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

What about it do you find this way? I mean, I kind of get it. There's a lot of harp noodling in there lol.

To answer this question accurately would require I force myself to listen to ET again!

One of the most surprising ones for me was Horner’s The Mask of Zorro. I’ve tried over 5 times to sit down and listen to it, and every time I lose interest and think of other Horner scores that offer more of what I want from him. More robust action? The Rocketeer. More melodrama? Legends of the Fall. More romance? Braveheart.

I was shocked at how it didn’t resonate emotionally with me at all and I honestly think it’s down to the Spanish influence on the score, particularly the harmonies. I haven’t yet had the courage to try The Legend of Zorro or The 33. 

Lincoln, most of the LOTR scores (except for The Fellowship of the Ring), Back to the Future, Dances with Wolves, and surely many more.

AI is one of my very favourite scores, certainly in my JW top-10, but I also prefer to listen to it in the form of "suites" compiled by myself, rather than the whole C&C score (I'm very glad I have it, though, so I can choose). 

44 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

My answer to this question might upset some people: Alan Silvestri's Back to the Future. Most of it is the definition of generic, to me. I don't like the main theme which repeats ad nauseam. I don't find it remotely interesting or engaging. It doesn't receive interesting development, for the most part. The score works well enough in the film (it certainly doesn't detract) but I think it could have been a lot better.

Back to the Future is the first score I thought of as well.

2 hours ago, Loert said:

La La Land is supposed to be a “great score?” I thought it was just a great record label.

At any rate, I don’t know how anyone can like film scores but not like Conan or LOTR.

It's Hook.

Hook for me.

It's not as magical as Harry Potter.

Not as playful as Home Alone

And not as adventurous as Indiana Jones

I just simply can't.

I bought the most recent LLL RELEASE cause I'm an insane collector.  But it will never crack even my top 20 of JW

5 hours ago, Thor said:

It shines in the OST, it's a chore on the expansion.

I already didn’t like the OST, but bought the expansion back when I thought those were the way to go. It did not improve or diminish my opinion of the score, unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I'd normally say that your enjoyment of the movie itself would help you form a connection with the score, but in the case of 'Conan,' I love the score while having zero attachment to the movie or the Conan character.

I feel this way about Hook. It is not a great movie, but the score does all the musical stuff that I love to listen to.

I feel this way about many of the more famous Jarre and Bernstein scores - their biggest epics like Lawrence or Ten Commandments are thoroughly outclassed by similar scores by Rozsa or Kaper. Of course, Bernstein has great dramas and westerns and band, while I’m a big fan of Jarre’s electronic work…

27 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I like the Hook score, just not LOVE IT like many members here do. It's a great score, for sure, and any composer not named John Williams would love to write something like that. But... I still prefer HP and Indy lol

And yeah, I have zero nostalgia for it. I didn't see it as a kid, only many years later as already an adult and John Williams fan.

Also... Home Alone 1 and 2 are pretty fun and entertaining and such, but I prefer HP (and Hook, actually).

Yeah that's the thing. Hook by any other composer I'm probably head over heels about it.

Also someone mentioned Lincoln.  Yeah I don't get it either. And this is someone who thinks Saving Private Ryan (score) is a masterpiece.

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Worst idea ever to make a musical about a soundtrack specialty label.

Horner, Williams, Jarre and Goldsmith

we ship yes ship!

Directly to your door!

Movies, TV, games, and box sets

soundtracks soundtracks!

Come on back for more!

I've listened to the DCC of Raiders of the Lost Ark maybe 3 or 4 times but I've never really loved it. 

I've never bothered with TOD or TLC cuz I don't feel like dealing with the speed issues 

48 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

On the Concord?

There may have been speed issues on some of the bootlegs, but as far as I know not on any official release of TLC.

20 hours ago, Datameister said:

Cutthroat Island comes to mind. It's got some great themes, and it's beautifully recorded, but it's just. Too. Much. You've got thickly layered fortissimo strings, brass, winds, percussion, and choir up the wazoo—and that's just the first cue! I enjoy individual tracks but I absolutely cannot enjoy the whole album, despite years of trying. 

I was really lukewarm on Star Trek TMP for a long time, but I finally "got" that score eventually.

The more I read about Cutthroat Island, the more I want to try it out!

59 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

The more I read about Cutthroat Island, the more I want to try it out!

Tbh you usually can't go wrong with pirates (don't let my opinion of Hook ruin this logic)

On 16/4/2024 at 9:42 PM, Bellosh said:

Yeah that's the thing. Hook by any other composer I'm probably head over heels about it.

True. Williams has done so much great work that a quality score like 'Hook' might not even crack your Top 20. That's saying something.

23 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

Horner, Williams, Jarre and Goldsmith

we ship yes ship!

Directly to your door!

Movies, TV, games, and box sets

soundtracks soundtracks!

Come on back for more!

When do the tickets go on sale? lol

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

Tbh you usually can't go wrong with pirates (don't let my opinion of Hook ruin this logic)

Have you tried Philippe Sarde's score for 'Roman Polanski's Pirates'? Good stuff!

45 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

When do the tickets go on sale? lol

Given out for free with every purchase. It's a staff production. There will be cookies and punch in the staff breakroom after the performance. One cookie per person, please.

The language is sordid; please don't bring children.

1 hour ago, Schilkeman said:

Given out for free with every purchase. It's a staff production. There will be cookies and punch in the staff breakroom after the performance. One cookie per person, please.

The language is sordid; please don't bring children.

You had me at "cookies." I'm the guy who shows up at funerals for the little crustless sandwiches afterwards. :lol:

12 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Have you tried Philippe Sarde's score for 'Roman Polanski's Pirates'? Good stuff!

Since you brought it up... I DID try this score in the Kritzerland release with very high hopes, and I was pretty disappointed! I think I played it once or twice and it just didn't connect with me at all.

Yavar

On 16/04/2024 at 4:51 AM, Schilkeman said:

. But, try as I might, I just cannot get into this score. I've read reviews, and analyses. I've been through every thread I could find on it. I even spent a whole week listening to nothing else, and this score just does nothing for me. I don't find it intellectually or emotionally stimulating.

My experience with every Hans Zimmer score I tried. Including Gladiator, POTC, Interstellar, WWII, Inception and Dune.

Of the "You MUST love this score, especially if you love X:" Legend. Parts of it are great, sure. But nothing that I don't think I can't get from another Jerry score. OTOH, I don't NOT like it.

doctor-who-david-tennant.png

Thank heavens for Conan. It is a) not a score I encountered between the ages of 8 and 18 and b) it's a a movie that I don't like. And I still love the score.

I'm also really not that much of a fan of Star Wars 2, 3, 8, and 9. I mean, they're all great as far as it goes but there is little that makes me say "I want to listen to THIS today."

OTOH, I can't even imagine not liking E.T. Adventures on Earth?!?

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

My experience with every Hans Zimmer score I tried. Including Gladiator, POTC, Interstellar, WWII, Inception and Dune.

Me too, but I don't rate him high to begin with, so I haven't tried too hard to get into his work. My survey of his big hits did not excite me.

Similarly, I was being a bit generous in only listing one Elfman score, but I've spent the most time with Batman.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

The Rock is fun.

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

I mean, in more comedic roles he can be very entertaining, it's in more serious roles that he becomes kinda boring.

Oh wait, not this The Rock? Okay, carry on then.

I thought you were talking about Nicholas Cage for a moment. 

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Including Gladiator, POTC, Interstellar, WWII, Inception and Dune.

Wait, since when Zimmer scored the whole World War II? :lol:

Maybe you were referring to The Thin Red Line? Pearl Harbor? Dunkirk?

6 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Wonder Woman II

Man there are people that LOVE that score. I don't get it. Maybe I should give it the ol'... You know.

I feel like the only composer who could do justice to something as huge and complicated as the entire second world war is Howard Shore.

10 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

How about Thin Red Line?  Have you heard it?  It has a good reputation and I’m currently force feeding it to myself to decide if I want the LLL CD.  10 tracks in and I’m wondering why the good reputation. 

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Wonder Woman II

The one time Zimmer ever got my attention was in WW84.  The early scenes in the Mall were sort of jubilant heroic fun. 

3 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I feel like the only composer who could do justice to something as huge and complicated as the entire second world war is Howard Shore.

Williams has it covered. Between Private Ryan, Schindler, Empire of the Sun, Midway, Indiana Jones, Amazing Stories - The Mission, None But the Brave, and yes 1941, he left no facet of the war unscored. 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

How about Thin Red Line?  Have you heard it?  It has a good reputation and I’m currently force feeding it to myself to decide if I want the LLL CD.  10 tracks in and I’m wondering why the good reputation. 

IMO The Thin Red Line is a lovely ambient and reflective work which is a nice stylistic contrast to the over-the-top 90s action music Zimmer was pumping out at the time.

If you're jumping into the score for the first time, I would echo the sentiment of listening to the OST first - It's very well put together, and touches on every major theme/style from the complete score (and some music not on the 2CD LLL main program). If you enjoy that, then you will be able to better appreciate the complete score. Some people find that the main program can drag at times, given most of the music is quite static (rhythmically and harmonically).

But for me personally, the calmness and stillness is what I love about the score, and when I'm in the right mood, there's nothing quite like listening to it and being enveloped by its peaceful tones. Also, any time woodwinds, harps and counterpoint appear in a Zimmer score, it's something to be celebrated.

"Airfield - Bell Flashback" (aka "Light" on the OST) is one of the most beautiful and tender pieces Hans has written. And I say all this as someone who still hasn't seen the film.

3 hours ago, Andy said:

How about Thin Red Line?

It felt as long as WWII.

3 hours ago, Andy said:

Williams has it covered.

There is something of the apocalyptic missing from all of those scores, though maybe Auschwitz-Birkenau gets there.