How do you organize your scores at home?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always begin chronologicaly, but they fall out of order the second I reach for any score that's not his last. Now they're hopelessly mixed up with all the rest.

My CDs are alphabetical by label and then organized by catalog number.

Everything on my computer is organized by however I feel like organizing it at any moment.

Neil

On my computer I have all the scores listed under their appropriate artists....but the real CDs that I do have they are listed by group IE: Star Trek, Star Wars...then regular films in alphabetical order.

Trent

Shelf is divided in three sections: Classical, film scores, and others. Each section is ordered alphabetically by composer. Film score by one composer are ordered chronologically, but with sequels right after the first score. Compilations and the like are at the start of the composer's section. Classical CDs are ordererd roughly chronologically, and grouped by "type", i.e. "compilations" first, symphonies next etc.

Marian - who still doesn't have a database for his CDs.

I have my soundtrack site organized how I wish the cd stores would do in the soundtrack section (sorta like their Pop/Rock sections) by Composers last name, and then I would sub-organize alphabetically. I used to sort the actual cd's by composer's last name and then chronologically, but that became a hassel when I needed to find something quickly.

Well, unlike most of you, I don't have three trillion CDs to organize, so it's pretty easy.

CD rack: actual CDs (five or six) on one side, empty cases (CDs are in my carrying case) on the other. The order is as follows: Star Wars, Harry Potter, other Williams soundtracks, Williams compilations, and miscellaneous. All CDs are backed up on my computer in MP3 form (completely unaltered in Backup/Soundtracks, improved/altered in My Documents/Music).

Williams are in order of release, so are the Goldsmith'ies. There are some tough JW ones, mostly re-recording that fall in the middle of nowhere. Especially the stuff he did in the early 90's for Sony Classical. But if there's a re-recording (ex: Superman), it'll be listed after the real Superman, not the date of the re-recorded Superman. Yeesh.

For all other soundtracks, they are mostly regrouped by artist that are of the same era or style. Rozsa goes with Jarre or Bernsteain, Goldenthal goes with Silvestri. Golden, Silver and modern era.

I have no organization. I have some right in front of me some down stairs some in a bag, some in a cd rack. But i have a mental picture of where my CDs are so i never have to search.

But i have a mental picture of where my CDs are so i never have to search.

Lucky you! I even bought the same release of Beethoven's fifth twice over 3 years thinking I haven't yet gotten that specific title, though the cover of the CD seemed to ring a bell with me.

My collection is not organized, though I try to couple all Star Wars together as well as Sinatra's CDs.

Firstly by compilations, foreign composers (Akira Ifukube), then all composers by their works chronologically beginning with Williams, then Goldsmith, followed by Silvestri, Elfman, Shore, Arnold, Zimmer, Horner and then some soundtracks by composers that I only have one of their CDs.

Sequel scores complicate things as I put them straight after the score for the first film. For example:

A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Minority Report.

Hope that made sense.

;)

I have no organization. I have some right in front of me some down stairs some in a bag, some in a cd rack. But i have a mental picture of where my CDs are so i never have to search.

Mines similar, I have some racks, a shoe box, and put others on a desk. I reserve the desk for Alex North, a rack for John Williams, and the other is for anything else. Then I have a large collection of mp3 CD's on the desk too, I guess I need to get a system for them because it can take a while to find things in it. I guess I could number them and place them in a order and use a computer database to search for scores, but too lazy to set that up. ;)

I guess I need to get a system for them because it can take a while to find things in it. I guess I could number them and place them in a order and use a computer database to search for scores' date=' but too lazy to set that up. :P[/quote']

you're right, you'll never do that hadn't you uptil now. ;)

Such things must be done from the start of the collection but once you're that far, you'll find you actually don't need it that much picturing how much work that would require.

;)

Per composer & categories--

Goldsmith & Williams (with several in the following categories as well)

Disney, Western, Space (Space Camp, Star Trek movies, plus Superman & Supergirl), Action, "Dark", Water, "African", ...

Broughton, Poledouris, Elfman, ...

Compilations & Promos, Golden Age

Composers: favorite ones first, then per genre, (ex: Goldmith "classics", Goldsmith thrillers, ...)

Disney: in chronological order

Categories: order of preference

objprk0001.gif

Well, I know how each one of my CD's looks and can easily identify them out of order, except for those damned old Varese CD's, which are all the same writing on the sides, white on brown.

Alphabetically, by title. Sequel scores are directly below their predecessor.

Same for me. (Though Raiders is at the place where "Indiana Jones" would be, followed by TOD and LC, not the other way around.) Compilations are after the end of the alphabetical section. Expanded scores (like A.I. promo, AFO expanded, TND, Jaws etc.) are directly after the original. Exception: TPM UE, because it doesn't fit in my CD rack :mrgreen:

Shelf is divided in three sections: Classical, film scores, and others. Each section is ordered alphabetically by composer. Film score by one composer are ordered chronologically, but with sequels right after the first score. Compilations and the like are at the start of the composer's section. Classical CDs are ordererd roughly chronologically, and grouped by "type", i.e. "compilations" first, symphonies next etc.

Marian - who still doesn't have a database for his CDs.

My shelves are organized pretty much the same as yours except I put compilations at the end of each composer's section. I do have mine in a database as well, but find it would be much easier to keep it up to date if I stopped buying any more music. LOL

Kathy

Williams chronologically, then other composers in random order.

Ray Barnsbury

same here.

K.M.

Ditto. My Williams section takes up three shelves, while my other composers section only takes up one. My non-film score CD collection is respectable, but also in my mom's room as she owns a fair amount of them.

Alphabetically by title.

Okay, so I thought we were just talking about JW scores. Everything else is like a library system - alphabetically by author (composer). Within JW I go alpha by title (so all the SW is together)- within classical composers, generally in categories (piano works, horn works, symphonies, etc.) and in opus number within each category. Pop CDs are by artist.

Organize? What's that? :)

I have a CD shelf, and they end up wherever I put them last. I keep series together (SW, HP, IJ, Star Trek) but that's about it. Same thing with my movie DVDs. My TV DVDs I put in order of season, though.

By alphabet. If it's a trilogy I put them in the order they came out. So Attack of the Clones is not before Phantom Menace because it starts with an A.

I'll elaborate more on my Williams collection's order:

-Every film score is in chronological order.

-Every expanded/remastered/re-release/and/or/bootleg is directly after it's predecessor.

-Every re-recording/concert work/compilation album is placed within the film scores.

-Every re-recording is placed directly after the film score it is a re-recording of.

-Every concert work is placed in the area of the approximate year that it was released.

-Every compilation album is placed in the area of the approximate year where it was released.

Exceptions:

-I have my home-made Star Wars complete/chronological editions placed in order of Episode number at the end of my collection. But the originals are in order of year.

-I used to place the Indy's and Star Wars series type movies togeher until my collection grew to the point where I liked looking at it chronologically.

-I also have occasional doubles or the same album with different artwork, which I store seperately unless the artwork is drastically different, which in that case, I'll use a clear, slimline double-CD jewel case and put both CDs and their artwork together (makes for a really cool double-CD look, IMO).

-"Other composers" have a random order, usually determined by favorites and via composer. I don't have enough to warrant chronological order, nor do I showcase any that I don't care all that much for.

-"Pop/rock/other" is in a semi-random order based on listening preference, unless I have a large selection of a particular artist or group, in that case I arrange them chronologically.

BTW, I'm a neat-freak/perfectionist/artist/collector/obesessive-compulsive type, so I can't think straight or work unless I have some order and neatness. My collectibles (and CDs) also fit into this mold.

Although I ask myself, "How can you people have your CD collections in such disarray?" I also know that my brother, father, and to a lesser degree my mother, are all opposite of me in this regard. They're all on the semi-messy side.

I have mine in the following order:

1. Film scores, in alphabetical order by title.

2. Akira Ifukube and other Japanese composer scores and compilations

3. Compilations and classical

4. Rock, R&B and Metal

I began putting mine in order 6 years ago because I was losing track of what I had plus it makes it easier to find the music you're looking for.

Chronologically, all cd's together. Then I put all my "most listened" and musicals and soundtrack compilations on a different shelf. Then the other cd's are in a different shelf.

Ironically, my "least listened" section is right next to the "most listened" one, but in a more inaccesible position.