Touchstone is a part of Disney. As for the Disney crowd, that's completely subjective.

My point is, while a film with the Disney logo on it would probably cut back on gore and violence, a studio owned by Disney but that doesn't have the Disney logo won't necessarily cut back.

Technically, Disney doesn't own Dreamworks Pictures. They just have a marketing and distribution deal, similar to Marvel Studios' deal with Paramount Pictures.

The trailer for I am Number Four just has the Dreamworks logo, no Touchstone logo anywhere.

Let it be known that for me the potential JW score is the icing on a delicious sounding cake.

No love for Tintin or War Horse? They could be Lost World and Amistad to Lincoln's Saving Private Ryan, yes, but why root for the more obvious, least-challenging choice?

will it be a cut away shot or a graphic depiction of the bullet going through his head?

he'll shoot it SPR style, very graphic, lots of blood and bone and gray matter. Lewis will have a dramatic overwrought death scene. He'll take antidepressants to make him depressed to be in the role. Ms. Lincoln will be portrayed as the closeted lesbian that she was. Spielberg will have Mudd portrayed sympathetically.

Miss Padme, some of us think Munich is a piece of shit. I find it Spielberg's most vile film, well beneath him. It's as close to a snuff film as possible. John's score is nothing special, and certainly not his best as KS foolishly insists. It's an outright insult to John's best scores for him to suggest that.

Munich is a fine score from a successful and underrated year for Williams, and is a good listen on CD.

But don't even try to say it's in Star Wars' league. Don't make me whip out the TMP poster! I'll do it!

Munich doesn't gel with me. Is it a thriller, a pamflet, a psychological drama? It tries to be many things at once but ends up having very little identity at all. Its message also struck me as particularly obvious ("Violence is baaad"? No shit, Sherlock!).

My God.

Joey used "think" in a post.

But I (partly) agree. I didn't like Munich and JW's score bores me to death.

It's Joe to you Rich. ;)

Munich doesn't gel with me. Is it a thriller, a pamflet, a psychological drama? It tries to be many things at once but ends up having very little identity at all. Its message also struck me as particularly obvious ("Violence is baaad"? No shit, Sherlock!).

Dammit Marc you need to start using the old avatar again. I tend to read your post without much interest because I think they are indy4's and then when I see it's you I have to read them again more seriously. It's slowing my JWFan experience.

Score = The Patriot + Amistad with a sprinkle of Rosewood

I would rather have had a HP7 pt2

Me, too. Me, too.

That said, I've been very much looking forward to this movie. I know JW won't let us down with a very memorable theme for another American president.

I know JW won't let us down with a very memorable theme for another American president.

Has Williams ever written "a very memorable theme" for an American president? JFK is pretty nice but fairly derivative of Superman, or possibly Conrack. Nixon has good thematic material, too, but I don't know that the most memorable parts of it refer directly to the president himself.

Nixon has good thematic material, too, but I don't know that the most memorable parts of it refer directly to the president himself.

The stirring trumpet solo in "Growing up in Whittier"?

I wonder if he'll take a different approach for this one rather than his usual Americana... I don't what it could be, but I sure I'll love it, no matter if its Americana or not.

• 4 months later...

Here's the part most important to me:

Filming is set to begin this fall, with an eye towards a fourth-quarter 2012 release.

Will JW be able to do this?

Seems like a good casting choice. I'd forgotten about Liam Neeson dropping out, though. I'm sure Daniel Day-Lewis will do fine, but Neeson would have sooo looked the part, and he can convey a certain air of maturity that I think would have fit the part very well. Oh well. As long as we still get a Williams score out of it!

Goodness, I can't even believe we're going to have two new Williams scores by the end of the year. Considering that I wasn't enormously impressed with the overall direction of his music in the last few years that he was truly active, I probably shouldn't get my hopes too high, but the fact that he's only done one film score in the last six years (!) does make me curious to see if we get something pleasantly fresh and inventive and fun and effective. Or (and I know this won't happen) a total throwback to his work from the 80s. As much as I hate to say it, Williams probably won't do too many more film scores in his life, and I'd hate for most of them to go in the direction of, say, KOTCS. (Which I do enjoy, mind you, but I'm ready for him to be done with his stylistic tendencies of the 2000s that kind of culminated in that score.)

Filming is set to begin this fall, with an eye towards a fourth-quarter 2012 release.

if he is not two feet under, he will.

oh my, i hate saying things like that...

*touches wood*

does make me curious to see if we get something pleasantly fresh and inventive and fun and effective. Or (and I know this won't happen) a total throwback to his work from the 80s. As much as I hate to say it, Williams probably won't do too many more film scores in his life, and I'd hate for most of them to go in the direction of, say, KOTCS. (Which I do enjoy, mind you, but I'm ready for him to be done with his stylistic tendencies of the 2000s that kind of culminated in that score.)

I must be the only one that think that KOTCS is by the least rather pleasantly fresh and inventive and fun and effective and a throwback to his work from the 80s.

Why wouldn't he be able to? Not like he has anything else planned.

if he is not two feet under, he will.

That's quite a shallow grave :lol:

I'm glad Spielberg is making movies again, and JW is scoring them.

I haven't known it any other way my whole life, but there's been a terrible drought since around 2005 and all this Shia Labeef crap.

It's cruel that Williams went into quasi-retirement right as my fandom was started really kicking into gear. I mean, it'd been years since I first started enjoying the Star Wars LP, and he'd firmly established himself as my favorite composer, but my appreciation for his work was limited in scope and depth. Still is, I'm sure, but not as much as it used to be.

Oh well. I suppose the advantage to not having an insanely huge Williams collection is that I'll be able to continue discovering "new" scores for a while.

oh my.

I have to stop translating literally spanish popular phrases/idioms, and buy an english dictionary that has a list of those :/

What in the hell do you english people touch when you want to have good luck or dont want to jinx something?

I know italians touch iron.

This is getting harder :folder:

oops, make it ten, then?

Since the 90's I personally think Williams has done some of his best work on dramatic films compared to his action & adventure scores.

I think his evolution as a composer has suited dramatic material much better.

oh my.

I have to stop translating literally spanish popular phrases/idioms, and buy an english dictionary that has a list of those :/

What in the hell do you english people touch when you want to have good luck or dont want to jinx something?

I know italians touch iron.

This is getting harder :folder:

oops, make it ten, then?

Don't worry, Manuel, we have the exact same expression in Portugal :). You should've said "Knocks wood" instead, though