When was the first time you fell in love with JW's music?

krosstj

For me it was Jurassic Park. I was a late bloomer I know, but I'm 24 years old and the Star Wars thing was before my time really. I remember going to the movie theater and hearing that opening theme...Dunt dun Dunt dun duna na na na nun na, nun na nun nun na nun nun nun nun na. (LOL AT MY NUN's and NA's) Anyway, I ran to the music store and begged my mom to buy me the CD and she did, and I fell in love with his music and music in general, that all led to me playing Sax and Pianoa and going to school for Music Comp. Aww what a beautiful story by me lol. Anyway, I'm willing to bet there will be alot of "STAR WARS" but I'm curious as too what other pieces turned you on to JW music?

Krosstj - who hopes this was not a totally pointless "flame" filled post. ;)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Difficult one this - since one of my earliest memories is Star Wars and loving every second of the music to it - but I suppose the first inkling that I had started becoming a fan was soon after ET came out and I spotted the soundtrack tape in a local store - it quickly became mine and collection has grown slowly ever since.......well.....rather a lot quicker since I found this board!!! I have always treasured my ET tape and it has always remained in mint condition, but the time came recently when I really had to clear stuff out, and it has now gone to a much better home where it will be appreciated more.... ;)

That's a tough one - either it was from watching Evening at Pops or from repeated listening to the "By Request" tape. Either way, both were in middle school. I found some silly "all about me" report from 8th grade where I listed observing a JW/Pops rehearsal as part of my perfect day, so it must have been before then.

It happened without me realising it. I watched the teaser for Sorcerer's Stone and loved it. I kept watching it over and over not knowing why i was so captured by it until i watched a special on the upcoming movie where the name of John Williams was mentioned, then i realised what that teaser held: His music.

Summer 94, when I (for no apparent reason) put on the Gerhardt Star Wars album I found in my father's shelf. Hooked on film scores and classical music since then.

Marian - :mrgreen:

When I recognized that music for Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones and E.T. was composed by one and the same person and his name was? John Williams.

Big fan since.

Since I saw the Greatest Hits 1969-1999 CD and bought it because I liked some of the music from those movies. Little did I know, it would soon become an addiction. :mrgreen:

~Sturgis

E.T., 1982. I was 8.

It was my first film music album ever.

The second one was Gremlins, two years later.

JP often comes up in the answers. One would have to compare with the other scores (by Williams and others) composed about the same time (say, '90-'93) to see what else might have sparked up the interest in film music. Off the top of my head, The Lion King is often cited as influential.

obet0001a.gif

In 1994, while watching the Oscars. John Williams won the Oscar for Schindler's List, and I was forever enchanted by the hauntingly beautiful violin music. I did get the CD soon after, although I didn't even have a CD player back then (I was twelve!!!). So the very first CD I bought was the soundtrack of Schindler's List! Soon after, I got a Discman for my birthday, and I actually got to listen to it!!!!

;)

Definitely StarWars and E.T. even if I was not born at that time, LOOOL, E.T. was one of the first film I saw on tape when I was older enough to watch movie...And StarWars was some kind of a revelation too, when it suddenly hit me that the same guy was doing the music LOL...

And then, thats was it, I was fan ;)

Funny, I think it's accurate to say that I usually disagree with everyone who was recruited by Jurassic Park.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Though I was not recruited by Jurassic Park, it certainly cemented the deal for me.

I know you are not a fan Alex, but for people of my generation that score has had the same impact as Star Wars had on the people of your's.

It had all the things needed to turn fragile, influential young teens into film score freaks.

1- A very noticeble score

2- A huge blockbuster to accompany it.

3- A soundmix that makes the score stand out at certain times so we can actually hear some music.

Though I was not recruited by Jurassic Park, it certainly cemented the deal for me.

Same here. I already knew the scores to the Star Wars films inside and out just from repeated viewings, and owned the Skywalker Symphony recording, as well as the Star Trek: The Astral Symphony compilation. Jurassic Park was the first time I just knew I had to own the music for after seeing the film. I bought the album very quickly, and then got Star Trek: The Motion Picture shortly afterwards. ;)

Yeah, I don't think it's ever been hard to find here. I got it for a very low price as well, IIRC.

When I recognized that music for Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones and E.T. was composed by one and the same person and his name was? John Williams.

Same here, and this happened around the time Jurassic Park came out. I re-discovered all this great music from my childhood about late '92, listening to all my old vinyl (Star Wars, Superman, Temple of Doom) and acquiring them on CD. Jurassic Park came out not long after that and I've bought every JW score since then.

Jeff

Similar to Marian, Charles Gerhardt and my father! Except my father played in many of the sessions with the National Phil and apparently I attended a couple of them in a pram - damn it all for not being aware! :wave:

A solid diet of film music from an early age coupled with the glory of being surrounded by Williams' omnipresent music during every cinema visit! God it was great!

- Tim.

Me? I was genuinely uninterested in music until about age 15 (2001). I always like musicals, particualrly Les Mis (just performed in it - ah it was the most amazing experience). I was browsing Amazon, where you can preview short clips of music from CDs. Was listening to bits of Les Mis, and casually went to the bottom of the page where it had people's lists of their favourite CDs. On one persons, Les Mis was #1, and A Beautiful Mind (Horner) was #2. I went to it, and listened to the first cue for the 30 secs it allowed me. I LOVED the first cue (still do - although I now know it is a rip off of Bicentennial Man... grrr stupid Horner). Went to see the film as well, and noticed the music a lot in it.

Began to (sharp intake of breath) illegally download bits and pieces of film music I liked - the usual stuff someone not very knowledgeable gets. So I had Titanic, bit of Jurassic Park, bit of ET, Raiders March, and of course the Imperial March. Soon after (early 2002), I watched TPM again. Suddenly, I noticed the score, loved it, went out and bought the OST and listened to it solidly for a few hours. I enjoyed it, and noticed the themes recurring. Not really understanding, I typed it into google, got a link to Filmtracks, and suddenly reaslised there was a world of amazing film music out there. By this time, AOTC was about to come out, and I bought the soundtrack. It was also amazing, and that was it. I was hooked to film music. More importnatly, I joined the dots, realised this John Williams guy was pretty damned amazing. And the rest is history!

When reading this thread one thing becomes painfully obvious: the music of the Prequels fails to recruit new John Williams fans.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Though to be fair, he certainly recruited a great deal only a few years ago with Sorcerer's Stone. He's certainly still got it in him.

When reading this thread one thing becomes painfully obvious: the music of the Prequels fails to recruit new John Williams fans.

Not quite. TPM was the first Williams soundtrack I ever bought. But as far as when was the first time I fell in love with Williams' music, I don't really know, since most of the films he scored in the late 70's/early 80's my Dad had on tape when I was little and I remember really liking the "movie music" when I was a toddler.

Yep.  

And I doubt any of the prequel scores will be preserved in the Library Of Congress.

The Episode IV score's just there because of it "cultural signifigance"... Not because it such good music.

Yep.  

And I doubt any of the prequel scores will be preserved in the Library Of Congress.

The Episode IV score's just there because of it "cultural signifigance"... Not because it such good music.

:|

Isn't the fact that it's been in our culture for so long a reflection of how great it is?

Neil

I remember crying when I heard FAMILY PLOT....Why, oh why....Bennie....why did you forsake me? But as my hands were tied by those Universal suits (Alma and I were handcuffed for 24 hours...together...it was rather nice at the time)

I can still recall blubbering like a school kid during E.T. When Mike discovers E.T. face down in the river and those final scenes where there wasn't a dry eye in the house, except Alma who has no tear ducts. And no she isn't one of the Duras sisters before you ask me.

Hitch

Jurassic Park. Journey to the Island in particular.

Same for me. Btw, how often has this been done?