What will you do when....

JMan

THis probably has been discussed but out of curiosity, what will you do the day John Williams passes? I know I will probably be playing his music everywhere and anywhere I go. Not like I dont do that now:)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same thing I did when Jerry died. Just sit staring at the computer screen and trying to comprehend the meaning of life. I'll read all the wonderful tributes people have to share about the man and his music. Then I'll try and figure out what scores of his I can listen to without depressing myself too much.

Johnny will never die though. He will live on in the Force.

Do people really think about this stuff though? I try to avoid contemplating mine or anyone elses mortality.

What will you do when....

Not sure. Probably won't make a massive difference to "my" actual life. When Jerry died, sure it was a shock but not entirely unexpected given how ill he was. Even now, it often feels as if he's still around anyway (for me). I know it's a cliche, but it seems he lives on through his music. I only saw him in the flesh once. If i were a relative, i'm sure my sense of loss would be greater. So i believe it will be the same with Williams. He has already provided us with a wealth of material to enjoy, just like Jerry did for us. Jerry lives on through his music. So does Wagner. So does Mozart. So will Johnny.

Will Stefancos be the last one to stroll around here?

Like Moaning Myrtle? :?

I think I'll make up my reaction as soon as I hear the news.

Will you play "Cantina Band" and start bopping away? :P

I'm not sure. I think I will shed some tears -- I don't feel that way about anyone except my immediate family and friends. So I'm not sure -- but I hope it will be in the distant, distant future.

:cry:

He's married to a younger woman. That's supposed to make you live longer I hear. My great grandma ran a restaurant until she was 94, so I have high expectations.

I am going to by a bottle of good wine and listen to the Finale from

Azkaban(I have always felt that patronus light and window to the past combination is

like someone is turning to an other dimension)

... but I think we will see 17 nominations and three statues more...

John Williams music, and all the reseach I've done, have been a central part of almost all my life, and surelly of my adulthood.

While, we have so much to treasure, all the music and memories one carries within, the actual loss of someone is always something one will only full understand some time after the fact. How will I react? I really don't know. In many ways I lmost feel that he is a close relative... Maybe it just don't make anysense... I think I'll be sad, but as always, with the passing of loved ones, I look back at all the good moments we've been through together.

I just lost an unlce last week, someone who we will all miss around here, still, he will live within my memories, and that is in the end, all that really matters.

Just sit staring at the computer screen and trying to comprehend the meaning of life. I'll read all the wonderful tributes people have to share about the man and his music. Then I'll try and figure out what scores of his I can listen to without depressing myself too much.

Johnny will never die though. He will live on in the Force.

Same here. Last time I did it was just a month ago, when Eddie Guerrero died. I read all the tributes by his fans, and downloaded all the videos available on the official WWE site. I think it's a way that people use to remember the person who's just passed.

But it's true, we have so much of his music that he never really die. We'll just stop having new score every year, but I personally try to enjoy and be interested in every new score, since we don't know how many score he'll be able to do untill that day comes.

Will we still visit this place?

For some time, yes.

And if so, for how long?

Since there are new interesting discussion to do. Also, this forum could continue for other composers too. We always had threads not related to John Williams too, so we can continue to discuss about Johnny among other composers, as we're continuing to discuss about Jerry or Elmer for example. :ola:

Alexcremers wrote:

Will we still visit this place?

For some time, yes.  

Alexcremers wrote:

And if so, for how long?

Since there are new interesting discussion to do. Also, this forum could continue for other composers too. We always had threads not related to John Williams too, so we can continue to discuss about Johnny among other composers, as we're continuing to discuss about Jerry or Elmer for example.  

This is quiet interesting topic on its own... The sad thing would be that if people would only be interested in discussing enw scores, when there are still so undiscovered gems... I've been going through Williams output for Gilligan's Island, and is quiet interesting.

If people want, we can have a lifetime discussing Williams work. But maybe that's just me...

But maybe that's just  me...

I'm sure you wouldn't be alone, althought not everyone could be interested in Williams first works. They sound very different to the Williams we love nowadays.

But maybe that's just  me...

I'm sure you wouldn't be alone, althought not everyone could be interested in Williams first works. They sound very different to the Williams we love nowadays.

No, they don't... If you listen carefully, you'll always find good old Johnny in all of them, be the early works, or his latest "Munich".

I'll keep visiting here. The best thing for all of us will be to have each other around. I'll continue to expand on my Williams collection; I'm lucky in the sense that I'll get to hear a lot of his music for the first time, even after he stops writing.

I will be the last to know, it's always the case when something big happens.

I think that I would play all of my Williams scores in chronological order, like I did to count down the release to TPM back in '99. I just have more of them now and I'll be much sadder.

When John Williams dies, it will be the worst death I'll ever experience, except for my parents, my brother, my three living grandparents, my aunts and uncles and cousins, my friends from home and school, and probably my own.

Ray Barnsbury - who will nevertheless be extremely distraught

I've always said that John Williams, from the people I don't know personally, he's the most important and loved person in my life. I don't even want to think about it. His music is one of the greatest blessings of my life. Everytime I listen to one of his scores for the first time, I still wonder: "How come after all these years, after the thousands of hours I have listened to his music, after the hundreds of cd's I have bought, this man can still surprise me and amaze me?"

The impact of John Williams in my life will be with me until the day I die and beyond.

until the day I die and beyond.

I better come back as some kind of domestic animal, thereby increasing my chances of finding a nice cozy home whose tenants are Williams fanatics.

With my luck, I'll return as a sea slug.

Tim

Everytime I listen to one of his scores for the first time, I still wonder: "How come after all these years, after the thousands of hours I have listened to his music, after the hundreds of cd's I have bought, this man can still surprise me and amaze me?"

I think this is why we all love him.

Millions and millions of notes are written, and still he can be original.

I'll finally be able to burn those recording session tapes of FAMILY PLOT. Then I'll light a big Cuban cigar....sorry my man servant will light my big Cuban cigar, then he'll pour me a large glass of Hennessy cognac, he'll put my feet up (after 20 minutes) and then I'll inhale those toxic plumes of smoke. Ponder for 15 seconds...exhale...press play on my dvd player and watch NORTH BY NORTHWEST...the direction Johnny will be heading. A fitting tribute to a legendary composer. Right up there with Johnny Boz and Liberace. Who were we talking about again? :P

Not sure. Probably won't make a massive difference to "my" actual life. When Jerry died, sure it was a shock but not entirely unexpected given how ill he was. Even now, it often feels as if he's still around anyway (for me). I know it's a cliche, but it seems he lives on through his music. I only saw him in the flesh once. If i were a relative, i'm sure my sense of loss would be greater. So i believe it will be the same with Williams. He has already provided us with a wealth of material to enjoy, just like Jerry did for us. Jerry lives on through his music. So does Wagner. So does Mozart. So will Johnny.

I agree 100% with this post.

What will Spielberg do for his next film?

He'll hire another composer.

A less talented composer, of course.

But I don't think he'll start another long collaboration. I think he'll choose the right composer for each project.

Well, I don't get genuinely upset over people passing that I don't know, but for music and movies it will be a sad, sad day. The man is a musical genius. He almost single-handedly revived real music, and we need him or someone like him to revive film score music now. I think that once he dies there will be greater acknowledgement of his greatness as a composer, and quite likely the greatest 20th Century composer.

Well, I don't get genuinely upset over people passing that I don't know, but for music and movies it will be a sad, sad day.  The man is a musical genius.  He almost single-handedly revived real music, and we need him or someone like him to revive film score music now.  I think that once he dies there will be greater acknowledgement of his greatness as a composer, and quite likely the greatest 20th Century composer.

He's 74, and not going anywhere right now. Not unless something tragic happens. To answer your mention of somebody to carry his music on. John has a great-niece who is 7 and learning to play the piano and write music herself.

He's 74, and not going anywhere right now. Not unless something tragic happens. To answer your mention of somebody to carry his music on. John has a great-niece who is 7 and learning to play the piano and write music herself.

I wish it was like the Newman's family.

But it's not. John Williams is unique, and nobody will be better. Let's just hope his descendants have some of his talent.

Stefancos once predicted he would die in 2007.I've been worried since then.

K.M.

:| Don't trust it, Mark, don't trust it!

if williams dies, i wonder will they publish "Williams Complete Works" like they do for Wagner or Prokofiev... it would be so cool to have all of his scores on my music library. however, i highly doubt that will happen since they've not done that for korngold or hermann yet. drats. of course it could all be because of rights and when u write for a film it becomes studio property. hopefully williams has a contract that says it ain't 100% studio property, and then he can publish Complete scores.

if williams dies, i wonder will they publish "Williams Complete Works" like they do for Wagner or Prokofiev... it would be so cool to have all of his scores on my music library. however, i highly doubt that will happen since they've not done that for korngold or hermann yet. drats. of course it could all be because of rights and when u write for a film it becomes studio property. hopefully williams has a contract that says it ain't 100% studio property, and then he can publish Complete scores.

That would be awesome!!!! A great tribute to a great composer!

well the complete collection will only be for professors/universities/libraries and other professionals. I mean the complete Wagner is expensive in itself. Several thousands. Usually complete sets are hardcover so they'll be ridiculously expensive.

Maybe that's because "some of us" feel the end is near.

I like Giacchino, but I'm not among those who like him "feeling the end is near".

100 complete film scores will come at a hefty price though.

That's very optimistic, perhaps the only positive aspect in John's death (not that I'm waiting like a vulture for that moment to come soon, though).

Maybe that's not bad ,'cause then he will write scores for the angels,God is so selfish to take him away:)

Perhaps God is that selfish to have the complete Temple of Doom.