Finn has a theme in The Force Awakens score

SafeUnderHill

You said John Williams hasn't written a long-lined theme since 2005; I said he did for War Horse and Lincoln. This isn't a matter of opinion, its a fact!

Kinda difficult to discuss these things when none of us have the musical terminology needed. I'm talking about the kind of thematic writing that was last heard in 2005. Call it memorable, hummable, well-defined, whatever you will -- I've not been able to hear that in INDY 4, TINTIN, WAR HORSE, LINCOLN orTHE BOOK THIEF. All of them had themes (duh!), but they were either a proximation of what he used to sound like (INDY 4) or not really the main focus of the compositions.

Ultimately, this is all subjective, and certainly NOT a matter of fact. You can clearly hear themes in these scores that are as well-defined and memorable as "Raiders March" or "Jurassic Park theme" or "The Force Theme" or whatever. I cannot. Hence subjective. What I DO hear a lot of is Williams moving orchestral colours around (sometimes rather whimsically), lots of clusters rather than long lines, occasionally bordering on minimalism, exploring chord progressions etc.

I agree with Karol in that something special happened when he did A.I. It's the seeds of that sound that we're hearing more consistently today -- although everything is still perfectly recognizable as Williams (the jazz in TINTIN, the Americana in LINCOLN, the pastoral writing in WAR HORSE etc).

In short, the only thing we can establish factually is the existence of themes. HOW we interpret/hear/get those themes is entirely subjective.

The Reunion Theme from War Horse is one of the best themes of his entire career!

Track 14: 3:05-end

Track 15: 2:08-3:45

Track 16: 6:17-7:19

You don't have to convince me of the brilliance of WAR HORSE. It's the best score he did in the the last 10 years! I love that, though not so much for the themes, but for the Vaughan Williams-type "sweep" that he knows so well. Just listen to the almost religious-sounding string chord progressions of the opening "Dartmoor" track. Almost takes me straight back to JANE EYRE.

That Finn guy actually called Williams John William on Twitter. Twice. He doesn't deserve a fucking theme.

Most of us lifelong fans would deserve more than him to both attend a session and get a personal theme!

That Finn guy actually called Williams John William on Twitter. Twice. He doesn't deserve a fucking theme.

I'm sure it was just an auto-correct mistake or something of that nature, he immediately corrected it.

Most of us lifelong fans would deserve more than him to both attend a session and get a personal theme!

No you wouldn't...

Indeed!

Where did the "John Williams wrote BTTF" myth begin? I remember seeing it for the first time in 2000 when files on Napster would show up saying "John Williams - Back to the Future - Theme" and I thought maybe people tagged it with Williams' name instead because they thought it would show up better in people's search as they might not necessarily know who Alan Silvestri is.

You just answered your own question.

No I didn't! I hate it when people say that!

I was just throwing an anecdote out there. I don't know if that's the actual reason.

Napster is my earliest memory of people making that mistake. I recall people thought Williams did Batman instead of Elfman. I remember someone on a different board insisted that he thought Williams "helped" Elfman on that score.

Any other scores people have frequently mistaken for Williams?

The themes from Jurassic Park are the last Williams themes to become iconic.

Not even Hedwigs theme made it.

Hedwig's Theme definitely made it, and is the last "iconic" Williams theme. There's hardly a soul around that won't hum you that tune when asked "Wut does dat sick Harry Potter musik sound like?".

Yeah, 10 years' worth of use in trailers, sticking around in all the sequels and getting the nostalgic last word in Deathly Hallows 2, kids playing it in school bands, using it in the theme park and its advertising. I don't think it's going away, Potter is such a touchstone for Millennials. (as a side note, I also think it's kind of amusing/vindicating that when Ralph Fiennes as Voldy shows up in one of the rides at that park, it's the three note motif that plays on his arrival. :P)

And before that, I feel like "Duel of the Fates" would also qualify after JP. People still go bonkers for that.

DotF isn't quite in the league of mainstream of popularity as Hedwig's Theme and JP are though. But it did get a lot of buzz.

Good god, 5 pages of discussion on a revelation that a JW score has a character theme?

We need some samples and fast.

Hey it is more about bickering which modern JW themes count as "iconic" or "memorable".

And yes we do need samples ASAP. :)

JW's true iconic themes known by the wide public are:

Jaws theme

Star Wars main title

E.T. theme (the flying theme)

Force theme

Raiders march

Superman march

JP theme

Hedwig's Theme

Olympic Fanfare and theme

NBC news

The themes from Jurassic Park are the last Williams themes to become iconic.

Not even Hedwigs theme made it.

Hedwig's Theme definitely made it, and is the last "iconic" Williams theme.

Hedwig's Theme is about as famous and iconic as a modern, purely orchestral composition can get. The public awereness of this piece is undeniable and it can rightfully be regarded as one of Williams' most famous compositions.