What is the last score you listened to?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If those are begging, "The Axiom" is prostrate on the floor, pleading, in loud and raucous tears. EDIT: For clarification, that was a good thing. That was the track that sold the album to me. I love the horn writing especially.

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind by John Williams

This just became one of my favorite JW scores, although I have a lot of those.

And it's one of THE best movies ever made. The fact that Spielberg has made several others as good says volumes about how good he can be when he's really on his game. (Maybe that Spielberg will show up for Tintin; that'd be awesome.)

Wall-E I'm a huge Newman fan and I was hoping for something on the scale of Finding Nemo but Wall-E is a bore!

I kind of agree with you. It's a good score, and it works extremely well in the movie, but I don't get much out of it when I listen to the CD. It may grow on me, though; sometimes that happens.

Wall-E I'm a huge Newman fan and I was hoping for something on the scale of Finding Nemo but Wall-E is a bore!

I agree.

Teen Titans : Trouble In Tokyo

It has a lot of redundant guitar junk, but it has a few, great highlights like "Monster Attack" and "Chasing Titans". Also, the main title is excellent, IMO.

Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force One 2CD Complete "Vosk" edition

Great score!! It's such a shame the OST is so short. Love the piano work in this score

John Powell - Hancock

Forgettable.

Alan Silvestri - The Abyss

One of my old favorites. I wonder if a complete release will ever appear? Come to think of it, I can't remember there being any Silvestri expanded scores ever being released.... are there any? (other than Predator, which was never released in the first place)

Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force One 2CD Complete "Vosk" edition

Great score!! It's such a shame the OST is so short. Love the piano work in this score

Glad you enjoy it :D

One of my old favorites. I wonder if a complete release will ever appear? Come to think of it, I can't remember there being any Silvestri expanded scores ever being released.... are there any? (other than Predator, which was never released in the first place)

There are quite a few complete boots for some of the Silvestri stuff.

Not too much has been released. I mean there was The Delta Force (Intrada) but not sure what else has been released by the labels. I'm sure someone else can answer this better than I can.

Intrada released Judgement Night and Delta Force, plus Amazing Stories Vol 3 features his score to Go To The Head Of The Class.

Varese released Predator and FSM has released two volumes of CHiPs.

I can't think of anything else.

Well re-use fees would be one reason, he's a current composer and I believe almost all of his works come after 1980.

Plus you have to factor the popularity of his musc and the studios he's worked for. The only scores you really hear people asking for are BTTF and Predator.

Star Trek The Motion Picture - COMPLETE version

Man, I dunno what it is about htis score, but I am liking it more every time I listen to it, and especially now that I've heard it in complete form - WOW. GREAT stuff. I can't believe I ever said before that the cloud / vejur flyover stuff before was boring - somebody at the time said they were the great parts cause jerry was able to experiment and just let rip for 5 minutes at a time, and they were right! Great stuff

David Arnold - Shaft

Listned to it cause I'm trying to find more David Arnold scores to like (I love ID4, TND, and Stargate alot but have never been into his other scores at all). This was fine, I guess... nothing bad here, but nothing very memorable. One of the final tracks was very similar to some TND music. Oh well.

Star Trek The Motion Picture - COMPLETE version

Man, I dunno what it is about htis score, but I am liking it more every time I listen to it, and especially now that I've heard it in complete form - WOW. GREAT stuff. I can't believe I ever said before that the cloud / vejur flyover stuff before was boring - somebody at the time said they were the great parts cause jerry was able to experiment and just let rip for 5 minutes at a time, and they were right! Great stuff

Easily one of my favorite scores of all time. I'm convinced that the movie was one of THE most influential movies in terms of shaping the kind of movies I like today (I was four when it came out, and would watch it, fascinated, every time it came on tv); and the music is such a huge part of the movie that I just don't think the score's influence on the development of my likes/dislikes can be overstated. Along with Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Superman, E.T., and Raiders of the Lost Ark, it's one of the cornerstones from my childhood that has not only retained all of its wondrous appeal, but actually increased its hold on me as I've gotten older.

And yes, the cloud/Vejur flyover music is just stunning.

An American Tail - Horner

Just listened to this one for the first time. While it has a few Hornerisms I have to say that I completely enjoyed this score from beggining to end. The main titles alone were spectacular! It'll be getting a few more plays before it hits the shelf. Is Fievel Goes West this good? Because if it is I may have to splurge a bit and buy it!

Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek The Motion Picture - the alternates

These were awesome! I had never heard before. Sometimes it was hard to believe they were written for the same motion picture. I loved the Ilia's Theme alternate with more piano

Michael Kamen - Iron Giant (complete)

This was good, not very memorable but I enjoyed it the whole time. What was up with that singing bonus track at the very end?

Kung Fu Panda - John Powell and Hans Zimmer

This was a pretty good score, I must say. As scores for animated films go, I wouldn't put it on par with, say, The Lion King, but it's a solidly enjoyable soundtrack. I haven't seen the film, so I can't judge all that remains unreleased, but what's on here is by turns exciting, fun, beautiful, and flat-out entertaining. "Hero," (love that Powell brass, along with the Eastern funky strings), "Pool of Sacred Tears," "The Bridge," "Shifu Faces Tai Lung," and "Oogway Descends" where some of my favorites.

I'd say...3.5 stars.

Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets complete

This was good of course, but man, at 2 1/2 hours it was loooooooong.

There's some really good unreleased stuff here though, I really hope proper 2CD sets of the first 3 scores come out sometime!

It still bothers me so much that teh Stones theme was used so much throughout the score when the awesome Chamber theme should have been used instead

Matilda:

Well, it starts off okay, bordering bad. A lot of the material is just plain uninteresting. The bits I hate the most are the extremely cheesy sections heard in "Home from the Hospital" and the beginning of "FBI Agents." As a score to what is, essentially, a very cartoony, I understand the trumpet blares, the frenzied woodwinds, and the bombast...I don't mind this part of the score. The previously mentioned cues are just soooooo corny to me, I'm not quite sure why, but I really despise them. There are a couple of nice moments, such as "To The Library and Beyond." But overall, the first half is not something I would listen to very often, save for a few cues. The second half is a large improvement. There's a very Elfmanesque moment in "Ms. Honey's Story" that is nice, and some of the strings from Witches of Eastwick in either "Trunchbull's House" or "A Narrow Escape" (I forget which, and I don't feel like listening through them again). I doubt I'll be returning to this score often, Jingle All the Way is easily the better David Newman score. 2.5/5 stars

John Williams - A.I. (OST)

I'm trying to give this score another chance, cause everyone here loves it so much. So I started with the OST, and will do the oscar promo next then a c&c release i have for my third listen. Listening to the OST again, I remembered why this score was never one of my favorites. Its kind of boring, and the song (both vesions) sucks. Hopefully the oscar promo will change my mind about the score

James Newton Howard - The Fugitive (Complete)

Great score, and I quite enjoyed a complete and chronological presentation of it

Memoirs of a Geisha:

Well, the good news is that I'm enjoying this score more and more the more I listen to it. The bad news is that I still don't hold it anywhere near as high as many do. There are some spectacular cues, however, even if the score as a whole isn't. "Going to School" is my favorite, followed by "End Credits." "Destiny's Path" and "Becoming a Geisha" are also very good. So overall, I'd say that this is a goodish score with tremendous highlights. I must say, I like the version of "Sayuri's Theme" and "Going to School" from the Ma/Williams iTunes duet more than anything on the OST. 3.25/5 stars

I am listening to the demo recordings of Danny Elfman's "Little Demons" for the first time. Though it may be unfair to criticize the score for that reason, I will still assess it.

It is...different, even for Danny Elfman. The overall style is still there, but it just seems so strange listening to this. Ultimately, I like it, but I cannot help but wonder what it would sound like if it was properly developed. Does anyone know why this musical was never "greenlit"?

Midway:

I missed a lot of the good material here when I first listened. "Hiroshima Harbor" is especially nice. I actually prefer the "Men of Yorktown March" to "Midway March," though they're both very good. I hear a lot of Star Warsy sound in some parts. 3/5 stars

Midway may not be Williams' best but it does not suck. I'll take Midaway over most scores composed these days, at least it's listenable and doesn't rely on all this phony processed music we hear.

I would really love to see the original score released, I like the Varese recording but there are some tempo issues.

Midway may not be Williams' best but it does not suck. I'll take Midaway over most scores composed these days, at least it's listenable and doesn't rely on all this phony processed music we hear.

I would really love to see the original score released, I like the Varese recording but there are some tempo issues.

I agree; it is rather slow in places, but hope springs eternal, as the (reigon 2, at least) d.v.d. is in stereo, which means that a transfer could be made from either a 35mm, or 70mm print. In the meantime, we could all do much worse than listen to the Sarabande version, or, if you are lucky enough, to the Japanese 45rpm single.

Midway is a nice score, and a guilty pleasure of a movie, but its frustrating. Its a very sloppy movie. It shows seens of kamakazie attacks which didn't happen, it shows planes crashing that didn't participate in that battle. It took for granted part of its audience that notices things like that. Its sort of like alot of movies showing a 727 taking off, then showing a 747 in the air, then showing a 767 landing, and its all supposed to be the same plane. Maybe that stuff doesn't bother most, Im sure it doesnt, but I tend to notice a plane with 3 engines becoming a plane with 4 engines becoming a plane with 2 engines, or a plane from 1944 crashing in a movie taking place in 1942. Oh and just for reference the only planes that crashed into ships in the Battle of Midway was a doomed American plane that crashed into a Japanese cruiser. This soap box has been brought to you by Zest. For a zestier clean use Zest.

Midway is a nice score, and a guilty pleasure of a movie, but its frustrating. Its a very sloppy movie. It shows seens of kamakazie attacks which didn't happen, it shows planes crashing that didn't participate in that battle. It took for granted part of its audience that notices things like that. Its sort of like alot of movies showing a 727 taking off, then showing a 747 in the air, then showing a 767 landing, and its all supposed to be the same plane.

Considering the Robert Wagner human interest story in between, i'm glad for every historical inaccuracy drawing my attention from it.

The only time a score release is complete is when it actually says complete somewhere in the product description or artwork.

Another indisputable Koray fact!

The Lion King - my (almost) complete edit. Really a great effort by Zimmer, I must say. The African influences are very interesting, and there's a wide variety of melodies that don't feel stereotypically Zimmerish. The action music is certainly familiar...a lot of it was mimicked in Drop Zone the following year, especially. And the use of synths can be grating in a lot of cases, but it's still a very enjoyable score for me. I'm listening to it again as we speak.

It is one of Zimmer's best scores, although the synths do bring it down. It's one of the cases where he used them as a crutch instead of as a useful asset.

I've been listening to some Beatles lately, not that that has anything to do with this thread.

I think this thread should be for any music you listen to, not just scores. After all we have a thread for any music we buy, not just soundtracks.

The Lion King - my (almost) complete edit. Really a great effort by Zimmer, I must say. The African influences are very interesting, and there's a wide variety of melodies that don't feel stereotypically Zimmerish. The action music is certainly familiar...a lot of it was mimicked in Drop Zone the following year, especially. And the use of synths can be grating in a lot of cases, but it's still a very enjoyable score for me. I'm listening to it again as we speak.

One of Zimmer's best. In desperate need for an expanded and/or complete release, but since Disney holds the rights it will probably never happen.