The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

16 hours ago, Richard said:

You don't know Jack Marshall? Well, he's... he's...he's Jack Marshall, of course! (snorts) Everybody knows Jack Marshall.

(please, someone help me. Who is this fucking Jack Marshall guy?)

A little respect goes a long way.

He is the father of Frank Marshall, producer of a few films you may have heard of.

He is also the composer of The Munsters, among a handful of other films and tv projects

He also played a hand in getting a young pianist some gigs early on in his career. Care to guess who that young musician was?

MV

I should point out again that I also can't wait for Sky Captain!

15 minutes ago, La La Land Records said:

He is the father of Frank Marshall, producer of a few films you may have heard of.

And therefore also the father-in-law of the Empress of the Star Wars universe!

5 hours ago, La La Land Records said:

A little respect goes a long way.

He is also the composer of The Munsters, among a handful of other films and tv projects

He also played a hand in getting a young pianist some gigs early on in his career. Care to guess who that young musician was?

MV

Oh. Well that was an interesting revelation. :)

Will there be any new James Horner release? If I remember there was a tight collaboration between LLL and Horner for the release of Braveheart and now that he has passed I wonder if anything got cancelled. How is it going to pan out in the future?

Personally I'm hoping for Titanic but all I have to go on is that this is the 20th (!!) anniversary of the film. A Black Friday release would be amazing but I don't think there have been any hints about it. 

I can only hope that annoucning ET now means something much bigger is coming. As  much as I appreciate the fact that we'll finally have a complete edition, I'm not really excited for this one. Hoping for Titanic and/or HP as well and I might be interested in CE3K if I ever watch it.

4 hours ago, Orgasm[+]Donor. said:

Will there be any new James Horner release? If I remember there was a tight collaboration between LLL and Horner for the release of Braveheart and now that he has passed I wonder if anything got cancelled. How is it going to pan out in the future?

Willow! 

While I think the original album for Willow had plenty of music, I would not say no to an expansion.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

While I think the original album for Willow had plenty of music, I would not say no to an expansion.

But my God those long tracks are annoying.  Needs an album more approachable in its program.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

But my God those long tracks are annoying.  Needs an album more approachable in its program.

Agreed. Oftentimes Horner's long continous pieces flow but the 18 minute Bavmorda's Spell is Cast in an anathema of a listening experience. 

8 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Composers are infallible album producers. You take that back!!

And you can tell 'em Thor said so!

So all this talk made me listen to the Willow ost. And while it is a really entertaining score, the amount of lifts from Prokofiev's October Cantata do bother me a bit. I did not remember they were so many of them. Some of which literally note by note quotes

There's still tremendous skill and dramatic flair on display. But he rips off the October Cantata so often it can be quite annoying, specially when the score has so much to offer, then the quotes stand out as a sore thumb

9 hours ago, Romão said:

So all this talk made me listen to the Willow ost. And while it is a really entertaining score, the amount of lifts from Prokofiev's October Cantata do bother me a bit. I did not remember they were so many of them. Some of which literally note by note quotes

So you didn't mind the Schumann 3rd symphony quote which opens the main theme? ;) 

Willow is full of the quotes and Horner apparently was quite open about it in this particular case, chalking them off as trying to steep the fantasy movie in musical history or something like that. You can read all about it in HERE.

11 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Willow is full of the quotes and Horner apparently was quite open about it in this particular case, chalking them off as trying to steep the fantasy movie in musical history or something like that. You can read all about it in HERE.

And what makes it work is exactly this eclecticism. I dare anyone coming up with a more bold homage than 'Elore Danan' which starts mixing Mozart's Requiem with Rachmaninoff's First, Penderecki, a bulgarian plainsong, Prokoviev etc. As unbecoming as some of the later repeats were, this is just infallible.

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

So you didn't mind the Schumann 3rd symphony quote which opens the main theme? ;) 

That one still rubs me the wrong way. It's a near exact quote but ends in a way that somehow sounds so trivial compared to the original.

9 hours ago, Incanus said:

It's too bad that site doesn't have a forum. Then I wouldn't have to post here.

On 2.9.2017 at 5:55 PM, Evil-Lyn said:

It's too bad that site doesn't have a forum. Then I wouldn't have to post here.

A real shame. Your insights into the Titanic score would be most welcome there I am sure.

Further delay for Waterworld. This notice is on the LLL site main page at the moment:

WATERWORLD SHPPING NOTICE: This title was expected to start shipping Aug 30, but a delay in the manufacturer's delivery has pushed our ship date to 9/8. We will ship this title as soon as it arrives. Our apologies for the delay.