What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I will not penetrate anyone today, that's not in the plans!

My favorite CDs are all encoded in FLACs then put on many many SD micro cards, that I bring with me everywhere I go, on each planet I visit.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Bes doesn't have a home. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

Not quite sure of the best thread to put this in, but I have a question: when are some recent examples of John Williams going balls to the wall with tubas and the low end? Listening to some of his older stuff, I'm wondering if his softening of the lower end contributed to a distinct lack of punch in his more work. In the '80s he was practically opulent with low end!

It's not the players or engineers that would contribute to such a difference, would it?

@Nick Parker, I can't say for sure, but Williams did seem to be more active in the low end back In the day. 

Anyway, heard Solo by John Powell again.  A bit action heavy, as Jay notes, but Powell's thematic emphasis and gorgeous romantic writing certainly make up for it.

We need more good clones of John Williams, Powell is a good one.

It's welcome as we had trouble with Clone Giacchino.

:music: Black Panther by Ludwig Goransson. Surprisingly, this score holds up quite well (not always the case with newer scores). One of the most entertaining and colourful Marvel scores next to Thor: Ragnarok. It might not appeal to everyone with its eclectic mix but there is a nice clarity to the execution of so many disparate ideas. Unlike most people, I actually enjoy the entire 96-minute album programme.

Karol

16 minutes ago, Bespin said:

We need more good clones of John Williams, Powell is a good one.

It's welcome as we had trouble with Clone Giacchino.

It's the fact that Powell's not a clone, that makes him more deserving of the legacies of composers such as John Williams. 

Star Wars: The Last Jedi, by John Williams :music:

It's been a while since I've revisited this soundtrack; I'd forgotten how nicely the OST is arranged. A very pleasurable listen. Williams' best action writing in years!

**** and 1/2 out of *****

The Force Awakens FYC by John Williams

The Last Jedi FYC by John Williams

Two very nice expansions on two great SW scores.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey by Howard Shore

And also Thor: Ragnarok, The Star Wars Trilogy (Varese Sarabande, Utah Symphony), Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and Dunkirk. 

The Wind and the Lion -- Jerry Goldsmith

I feel like he was channeling Rosza and Jarre here, stylistically, with the wild percussion and complex brass lines. Lots more energy and his usual energetic action writing, the Graunke players really get put through their paces here. Another one of my favorites.

:music: Avengers: Infinity War. I find Silvestri to be a mixed bag of a composer. His style is a bit of a basic bread-and-butter, he doesn't really ever venture beyond his comfort zone and has hardly changed since the mid-1980's. Having said that, I rather like his output for the most part, as "pedestrian" as it might be. He's just really reliable. I know that people are really disappointed he doesn't nod to other Marvel themes in this but I find that it probably would hurt the film. Silvestri's stodgy style writing actually did wonders to hold together the original Avengers film and I feel it also helped this film as well. It's this clarity and focus that gives Infinity War film a drive. I also feel it is a superior score as it offers bit more variety. The original felt more like an action thriller, this one definitely feels more wondrous and space opera. I also prefer the longer album. Not amazing in any way but a solid and quite enjoyable effort nonetheless.

Valerian and the City of Thousand Planets

Red Sparrow

Se7en

Soul of the Ultimate Nation

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Oh and Bodysong

Karol

John Williams - Angela's Ashes [Sony, with the narration]

It's been a long time, I love this score! I usually listen to the Decca CD, the version without the narration, but today it will be "with" ;-)

The Russia House by Jerry Goldsmith.  Fantastic score, wonderful texture.  Excellently performed.  Achingly beautiful when melodic, thoughtful when more action-oriented. 

Normally, I don't go for electronicisms in film scoring, but Goldsmith makes it work here, and very well at that.  It would be nice if the electronic instruments used were identified.   

15 minutes ago, TGP said:

Why not?

Like Stefan says, I'm a bit old school in that regard.  I gravitate towards film scoring as a branch of traditional classical writing.

On the other hand, I am by no means adverse to or ignorant of electronic instruments and their integration with orchestral textures.  I especially enjoy when it is done right.

I have been becoming much more open minded in this area recently. 

Honey I Blew Up the Kid by Bruce Broughton

Mickey Donald & Goofy in The Three Musketeers by Bruce Broughton

In regards to the former, Don't Touch That Switch is probably the greatest 26 second-cue in film music history.

In regards to either one, Broughton probably did the greatest Carl Stalling impersonation ever. 

Following in Holmes footsteps, David, that is. Pure pastiche done with style - Pemberton probably would make The Q and Lalo smile benignly (Fugue in D Minor!).

Little Women by Thomas Newman: Sunny, melodic and quite delightful all around and with little over 30 minute album doesn't overstay its welcome.

God of War by Bear McCreary

The Last Starfighter by Craig Safan

Solo A Star Wars Story by John Powell

The Girl With A Pearl Earring by Alexandre Desplat

Stargate by David Arnold

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Is that the new name for Media Ventures/Remote Control?

Karol

Various Artists previously known as Remote Control?

So Various Artists was good at some point? I used to avoid them as much as I could if I saw their name on a soundtrack cover. Actually I still do. Almost as bad as that Music Inspired By guy.

Left my portable hard drive at home so it was a day of Spotify tunes

Ramin Djawadi - Westworld

I listened to Season 1 OST plus the material that's been released from Season 2 so far.  Good stuff, I like his work on this show a lot, especially that Sweetwater diddy that got a cool Samurai World version in Season 2.

Daniel Pemberton - Ocean's 8

If you like Holmes' original Ocean's scores, you'll like this - it's very much cut from the same clothe, lives in the same musical world.  I like the old Ocean's scores, so I liked this one too!

Lena Raine - Celeste

A modern masterpice

John Powell - Ferdinand

It's nice but I like SOLO better

Woah,.... mind blown!  I just assumed it was Holmes returning.  He sure emulated his style perfectly!  Post corrected.