Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

Bilbo

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

That said, I don't blame him for the hysterical and panicky Dumbledore of GOF....that's all on Newel.

Everything is up to 11 in that film, even the hairstyles!

I think everyone felt the same way about Gambon stepping in to "replace" the inimitable Richard Harris, but I might be in the minority here on the position that Gambon brought something to the role that made him 'Dumbledore', or at least a facet of what I envisioned him to be in the books. I think there was warmth in his performance (particularly in Half-Blood Prince), but most of the way his character was handled saw him involved in a way which didn't lend well to much personalisation. He was grouchy and irritated because that's what the direction required. As I was reading Deathly Hallows when the book was released, I found myself reading Dumbledore in Gambon's voice, with his mannerisms so to speak because, for me, he embodied everything I saw Dumbledore to be.

I think it's unfair to point to that moment in Goblet of Fire when he almost tackles Harry as the moment that defines Gambon's portrayal (as many online appear to do) because it simply isn't. There's a certain vulnerability and restraint he plays on in the rest of that film that shouldn't go overlooked.

When Dumbledore and Harry journey to the cave I couldn't imagine Harris standing upon that rock or doing much action at all, resigned to positions that catered to his age and health - much like the late Christopher Lee was in The Hobbit films, bathed in CGI.

To wrap up my thoughts of Gambon as Dumbledore I'd say that despite the slight differences in portrayal from the books, he still was an actor in the series that could command attention and remained one of my personal favorites since him taking over the role. 

I just watched Fantastic Beast and Where To Find Them last night, not as a HP fan but with limited expectations and knowledge of that cinematic universe. It was alright.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:47 AM, Arpy said:

inimitable Richard Harris

What's so inimitable in Richard Harris in that role?

That's not a slate against the actor. Its not even much of a slate against the director - its just that there isn't an awful lot of Dumbeldore in the first two films, so there isn't anything for Harris to show his prowess with.

Chen, who's presently watching Richard Harris in Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven.

1 minute ago, Chen G. said:

What's so inimitable in Richard Harris in that role?

That's not a slate against the actor. Its not even much of a slate against the director - its just that there isn't an awful lot of Dumbeldore in the first two films, so there isn't anything for Harris to show his prowess with.

I think there was a certain magic about him. A twinkle in his eye, a sense of status and authority and subtlety that comes with years of experience. I guess that sentiment is, naturally, going to be different for other people, whether they saw that or not.

10 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I think there was a certain magic about him. A twinkle in his eye, a sense of status and authority and subtlety that comes with years of experience. I guess that sentiment is, naturally, going to be different for other people, whether they saw that or not.

I definitely agree with that but I also agree with finding it hard to imagine him in the cave in HBP

I hadn’t read any of the books until film 3 made me realize, “Oh, Harry Potter might not suck after all.”  

Harris never interested me as Dumbledore, which is partially due to the lack of energy, partially due to his very limited role in those two movies, and partly due to how little interest I had/have in the Columbus movies.  Gambon has always embodied Dumbledore for me, starting with the “late start” I had in being interested.

This is random-

Gandalf>Dumbledore

I'm already a huge fan of Star Wars and Middle Earth lore, I never got started with Harry Potter and still can't. Fantastic Beasts was fairly light hearted at times, and a lot of fun. It was somehow more keeping for me than the Harry Potter films I've seen (bits and pieces- 1, 2, 3 in whole).

Yes because nobody else applied for the cursed job of DADA teacher. (not kidding, Voldemort actually cursed the position after he wasn't allowed to take it and now nobody can teach it more than a year)

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Yes because nobody else applied for the cursed job of DADA teacher. (not kidding, Voldemort actually cursed the position after he wasn't allowed to take it and now nobody can teach it more than a year)

Haha, seriously? You're a cool dude, Holko: what's in Harry Potter for you?

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

You're a cool dude, Holko

Oh stop it, you! :blush:

1 hour ago, Nick Parker said:

what's in Harry Potter for you?

I read the first one on my own when I was 5 years old, it was one of the first "real" books I read on my own, and my gateway to fantasy and escapism which my parents weren't overly fond of. Then I of course grew up with them, and the books "grew up" with me (meaning the obvious getting more dark and complicated). The final Harry-Voldemort showdown was one of the most satisfying moments in my reading history. I still reread them every few years partly out of nostalgia, partly out of discovering or appreciating new things. Dumbledore's backstory first seemed like a distraction from the Horcrues, now one of my favourite parts. I love the world, the attention to detail and continuity, the humour and Britishness in the core of it spreading to every aspect. I also like the characters, their dynamics and how they change and grow. The only detractors I find in the books are the lack of a reparations chapter or two at the very end, and the childishness of books 1 and 2 - on my last reread 2 years ago, book 1 took me 4 times as long to read than 4 and 5 combined, it just wasn't very engaging.

That all said, books 1-7, the 3 bonus books, the first 5 movies to varying degrees, my nostalgic LEGO sets and the first 3 PC games are all I need. Oh, and Matessino's 1-2-3 score expansions. Maybe I'll even finally read the whole thing English someday. But even though I will always cherish them and revisit them from time to time, I do not let my life revolve around them like a ton of cringy "potterheads" I see online who have shelves of funko shits, overpried replica wands and wear robes and house scarves all the time. (I do have a Potter robe but that's a high school class thing from a great and successful school event I have fond memories of.) I don't even bring it up unless someone pretends they don't understand why movie 8 is utter dogshite ;) 

Ah yes. I was quite a reader back in the day. I remember starting with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings when I was eight. It was such fun! Now I hardly read. I'm a picky book guy. I didn't care for the Harry Potter books, but I don't deny their outbreak being a phenomena. They are some of the few books youngens even read anymore these days, so they must be doing something right.

I started reading Harry Potter, and gave up somewhere in the Order of the Phoenix.

I also didn't follow the films after the second or third, and only discovered many of the later ones recently.

I'm telling you guys, Patrick Stewart would have been a bril Dumbledore. The guy can pull off a powerful, commanding presence, while also being compassionate, and even mischievous with a wink in his eye like good ole' Albus.  He would have nailed the role.

4 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I'm telling you guys, Patrick Stewart would have been a bril Dumbledore. The guy can pull off a powerful, commanding presence, while also being compassionate, and even mischievous with a wink in his eye like good ole' Albus.  He would have nailed the role.

I always wanted him to play Moody.

9 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I started reading Harry Potter, and gave up somewhere in the Order of the Phoenix.

I also didn't follow the films after the second or third, and only discovered many of the later ones recently.

Order of the Phoenix is a really bad book badly written. It needed a good editor. The last 3 books are very hastily written and all 3 feel like first drafts with only book 6 having some sense of structural coherence. 

• 3 weeks later...

So the Maledictus is Nagini. That’s interesting. 

I’m starting to wonder if we’ll start to see some of Tom Riddle’s story developed in these films. 

He was born between films 1 and 2 and he graduates Hogwarts around the time of the last film. 

Interesting trailer. Too bad they didn't use JNH's main theme and stuck to Williams' theme for the trailer.

This looks like a much more ambitious movie visually.

I think this series might age well. The first movie was really good. Easily one of the best wizarding world movies.

20 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Apart from Dumbledore not wanting to face Grindelwald directly due to emotional reasons, why would he ask Newt to kill Grindelwald? Of all people?

Because we need to give Newt something to do in this film 

9 hours ago, Arpy said:

Apart from Dumbledore not wanting to face Grindelwald directly due to emotional reasons, why would he ask Newt to kill Grindelwald? Of all people?

Perhaps we'll learn about it in the film? Also, it's set a while after the first one, isn't it? Newt might have accomplished something in the meantime that made Dumbledore pick him. Or even if not, let's not forget that Dumbledore likes to watch people closely and pick them for tasks. Didn't he teach Newt at Hogwarts? He might have seen something in him then that hasn't yet manifested itself. Or perhaps it was just a hunch. Why did Gandalf pick Bilbo?

9 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

So... Is that a larger version of the veil that ends up swallowing Sirius Black in OotP?

That would be interesting, especially because I always thought there seemed to be more to that veil, beyond the obvious "you don't want to believe it, but he's simply dead".

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Perhaps we'll learn about it in the film? Also, it's set a while after the first one, isn't it? Newt might have accomplished something in the meantime that made Dumbledore pick him. Or even if not, let's not forget that Dumbledore likes to watch people closely and pick them for tasks. Didn't he teach Newt at Hogwarts? He might have seen something in him then that hasn't yet manifested itself. Or perhaps it was just a hunch. Why did Gandalf pick Bilbo?

That would be interesting, especially because I always thought there seemed to be more to that veil, beyond the obvious "you don't want to believe it, but he's simply dead".

He did teach Newt at Hogwarts. I think your Gandafl/Bilbo comparison is apt. He picked Newt because he knows Newt is pure and good and when it comes down to it will make the right decision. 

There's only a few months between the first film and the second.