• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Bilbo Skywalker

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them 5-film series

1801 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

The reason I avoid Dutch subtitles these days is specifically because of Harry Potter.

Those changed words and names are just terrible.

Since in original english are no better...

that is what is preventing me from reading the books....in any given language....

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Since in original english are no better...

What do you mean?

That the invented Rowling names are no different than the name-your-country-translated ones.

All of them cringeworthy.

Rowling's invented names arent anatomically correct?

I can't be objective about that because, to me, nothing in English sounds cringeworthy.

39 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Not even "cock-a-doodle-doo"?

It's ridiculous! A rooster doesn't sound like this at all!

It's more like "cock-a-crrrri-cock-crrr" or "crrrock-a-crock-crrrrick". Or maybe "crrrr-a-crock-crick-crock"...

On 1/17/2017 at 7:45 AM, petaQ said:

You're already at full cock. 

and ready to spread all over the place the Empire.

Just rewatched the film. My second viewing didn't change my opinion on it: it's a fun (if uneven) flick, a bit unfocused at times (with some storylines that serve little purpose), but ultimately enjoyable.

Two thoughts came to my my mind during this second viewing (spoilers below):

- I previously said Ben Wishaw could have been a fine Newt. Well, you know what? Why not cast him as Newt's brother in the sequels? I'd be fine with that.

- There's definitely a problem with the way the creatures are "presented" to the audience (already noticed that on my first viewing, and it became even more apparent here): it's never made clear which creatures are visibles to Muggles, which are not, which invisible creature is "shown" onscreen, etc. Let me explain more clearly: early in the film, there's a scene with an invisible force wreaking havoc in New-York, and we later learn this was the Obscurus. OK, so the Obscurus is invisible, right? The idea is reinforced by another scene, where the Obscurus kills Senator Shaw. OK. But then, the moment the creatures come out of Newt's case, things starts to get messy. During that scene, all those creatures seems to be invisible, too: the Demiguise (which is normal, as we later learn), the Occamy, the Erumpent... We see things getting destroyed, but we don't see any creature. But later, when Newt and Tina arrive at Jacob's apartment, there's a guy talking to a policeman and saying: "I saw what did that... It was a huge hippopotamus" (well, he doesn't get to finish that last word, since Newt obliviates him before that, but it's clear what he was going to say), clearly referring to the Erumpent. Then, later, there's a montage "showing" invisible creatures walking in New-York: there's the Demiguise, and there seems to be the Erumpent too (since a car is partially crushed by the creature). So the Erumpent is invisible? Well, maybe just to Muggles? But then later, during the sequence in Central Park, Jacob clearly sees it (plus, there's that scene where kids see the glow of the Erumpent under the ice). And during the finale, everyone seems to be able to see the Obscurus too...

So yeah, it's quite confusing, and as a result, you sometime wonder what invisible creature is supposed to be on screen. One may say: "But that was the point, surely: to make audience wonder if it was one of Newt's creature who killed Senator Shaw." I thought of that, of course, but the thing is: the very first Obscurus scene, where is invisible, happens before any creature has escaped from the case, so it's made clear there's at least one creature out there who isn't one of Newt's.

The film could have clearly benefited from making it more clear via the dialogue which creature is supposed to be visible to who (they do that with the Demiguise, yes, but the only reaction it gets from me is: "So, wait, only the Demiguise is supposed to be invisible? What about those other invisible creatures? Are they not invisible?"). I wonder if it'll be just as confusing in the sequels, or if they'll address that at some point in one of them.

Based on the original books, I always figured magical creatures are as visible as regular ones.

Didn't they need Muggle Repellant Charms to keep them away from areas with known magical creatures?

Well, yeah, in the books, maybe, but I don't remember it being mentioned in any of the HP films nor in that film (and that film in particular doesn't make it clear, on the contrary).

I didn't think any creatures were supposed to be invisible except the obscurus >shrug<

bollemanneke likes this

Well, that was certainly the idea, but the way the film depicts them, it's not made obvious. As I said, during the finale, there are a few shots that clearly suggest Muggles see the Obscurus. And during the scene in which the creatures escape from the case, we only see things being destroyed, not the creatures (except for the Billywig). And regarding the Erumpent, if it's meant to be visible to Muggles: are we to believe such a big creature would go unnoticed in New-York in broad daylight?

I think you're putting way too much thought into these details :P

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think you're putting way too much thought into these details :P

Well, I personally think it's more than just "details" when in a film about magical creatures on the loose in the Muggle world, it seems for some reason said creatures sometimes can be seen by Muggles and sometimes can't.

Have you found the allusions to the previous Potter scores yet? How JNH tonally references several Williams themes!

I think it's the best Fantasy score we've gotten on a while. Perhaps since HTTYD 2?

Looking forward to getting the BluRay when it arrives and rewatching. Rogue One kinda took over once that came out but im going to enjoy it at home when I get it. 

Yes BB, I got the edition with the Niffler statue. 

Jude Law is a fantastic actor who never seems to get the roles that show how fantastic he is.  But think of him in Mr. Ripley or A.I. or I Heart Huckabees or Side Effects or even his small role in Grand Budapest.  Basically, I'm on board the Jude Law as Dumbledore train.  Certainly better news than Johnny fucking Depp.

Bilbo Skywalker likes this

Oh, he's a good actor, no doubt about that, but him as a young Dumbledore? Not sure... Wait and see, I guess... And yeah, still not as awful as Depp as Grindelwald!

I have no problem with Jared Harris, a fine actor, but for me to endorse him would be to tacitly endorse his father's performance as Dumbledore, which was awful.

mstrox likes this

I like Jude Law a lot but not sure what I think of him as Dumbledore. 

David Yates must love The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

34qr383.jpg

Disco Stu likes this

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I have no problem with Jared Harris, a fine actor, but for me to endorse him would be to tacitly endorse his father's performance as Dumbledore, which was awful.

There was indeed a very annoying performance of Dumbledore in some of the films.

But it was films 3 and 4 where I was the most annoyed by him.

Several moments there that were completely out of character.

Thankfully Gambon got a bit better by the end.

I reckon he's a good actor and I've liked him in a few other roles I've seen him in.

But not really that one....

Heh, 3 is my favorite Dumbledore performance, the film where I thought, "Yes! They finally got Dumbledore right!"

I've had Dumbledore debates with so many people over so many years, we all have different weird preferences!

DarthDementous and mrbellamy like this