THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

26 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Making a quick mental calculation... Is The BFG will be his 105th movie score? :sarcasm:

103rd original film score.

105th including Yes Giorgio and Superman IV.

107th including score adaptations.

has anyone here calculated how many hours of extant music he has written?   With all the early tv work, it has to be an absurdly high number. 

1 hour ago, Ricard said:

103rd original film score.

105th including Yes Giorgio and Superman IV.

107th including score adaptations.

I'm happy I got right one the three number you find!

I forgot Superman IV and Giorgo.

So I confirm the number 107.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

has anyone here calculated how many hours of extant music he has written?

Nooo-Meme-Darth-Vader-04.jpg

On 6/8/2016 at 1:59 PM, mrbellamy said:

It just occurred to me the other night that this movie will have an elaborate fantasy banquet sequence. Not gonna dare to expect a cue to top the ones in Hook or Harry Potter, but it'll be fun to see him complete the trilogy ;)

I think I might remember reading that the banquet scene of this movie is the one with the "whizzpoppers." So if that's the case it might end up being scored comedically rather than with pomp. 

On 6/9/2016 at 6:32 AM, Not Mr. Big said:

That one will probably be more of a ceremonial piece than anything resembling a film score

It will be short. Williams said "a couple minutes" in the Variety interview.

On 6/9/2016 at 6:38 AM, crumbs said:

Wonder what Koby's favourite JW scores are? 

Back To The Future

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Man of Steel

Batman v Superman

On 5/24/2016 at 4:08 PM, Jay said:

let's use Elfman's Alice Through The Looking Glass OST, also on Disney Records, as our comparison.

That OST releases on Friday May 27, the track list appeared on Amazon on Friday May 6, and samples appeared on some European site on Monday May 23.

If that pattern repeats for The BFG, Amazon will have the track list on Friday June 10th, and samples will appear randomly on Monday June 27th.

I'm very much looking forward to the entire thing, but it looks like the beginning and end will be extra special!

The Book Thief is great all the way through.

Oooh I am getting excited to hear this! Only 2 weeks to go! :)

Do people think we are looking at maybe a 60 minute album or perhaps something longer?

38 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Do people think we are looking at maybe a 60 minute album or perhaps something longer?

Looks like a 75 minutes album to me

It's a Disney movie... so do you think that, like TFA, we will have a FYC downloadable album containing more music?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes.

Ok I was just making sure you are ready for a new complete analysis and propositions of some complete playlists. ;-)

There will definitely be an FYC but the lateness of the scoring sessions and pickups possibly indicates very little editing and tracking in the film. Ergo, the OST may not differ from the FYC as much as, say, TFA.

Any new music is great though. So refreshing that JW has embraced long album presentations in reasonably chronological order, has mostly abandoned combined tracks, and has ditched concert suite reprises at the end.

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Overture?  Holy shit!

So which is the one with the farts?  "Snorting and Sniffing"?  "Blowing Dreams"?  "Fleshlumpeater"?

If it's in the OST at all, I think it would be "Meeting the Queen" or maybe "Building Trust."

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So anyone familiar enough with the book to determine if the order is reasonably chronological?

Roughly, but a few things stick out to me. 

"Dream Country" is way early, that goes with the other dream tracks unless they've changed it so that they go there twice, or I guess if it's underscoring the BFG telling her about it. Or if it's a concert piece! :D

The "Boy" related tracks refer to a subplot not in the book so I wouldn't know about the placement of those, but don't know why "The Boy's Drawings" would be in the middle of the Queen stuff. Either the drawings are in the palace or they just threw the cue in there. I think "Sophie's Nightmare" and "Blowing Dreams" might be referring to sequences that they've added as well, from what I've read about the film. Again wouldn't know if those are in chronological order.

And not sure what "Snorting and Sniffing" or "Sophie's Future" are referring to specifically, so those could be in order or not.

Interesting that there is no "Sophie's Theme" or "The BFG Theme" tracks.

I presume the "Overture" and "Sophie and the BFG" will contain nice presentations of their thematic material.

Actually, another possibility is that they don't have separate themes, and instead have a single "friendship" theme associated with both characters, and the last track is the concert arrangement of that theme.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Has a John Williams release ever contained a track called "Overture" before?

Tom Sawyer, Heidi, The Cowboys, Good Bye Mr. Chips...

I wonder if that's one of the things that was played in the Cannes video. I guess that could be the Overture for all we know, though it sounds more like underscore.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I think its likely that that track is actually the end credits suite.

I could see that. I was thinking "Sophie and the BFG" might be the soft piano/orchestral version of the Lincoln-esque theme that we heard here.

15 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Overture?  Holy shit!

My reaction too! 

12 hours ago, Tom said:

I wonder if "Frolic" is the dance-type piece mentioned in one of the those tweets. 

A "galop" was specifically what was mentioned in the JKMS tweet. 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

I think its likely that that track is actually the end credits suite.

Or maybe this time Spielberg is opening the film with a proper main title sequence.

Apparently Icelandic ladies favourite man-mountain Ólafur Darri Ólafsson is in this, whom I last saw in the excellent Ófærð (Trapped). I wonder if he's playing the most dastardly giant in the movie. 

0lhawXr.jpg

7 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Or maybe this time Spielberg is opening the film with a proper main title sequence.

That's what I'm hoping! 

FYI if samples show up for the OST, whoever finds them first start a new thread for it instead of adding here, thanks everyone!