Star Wars IX The Rise of Skywalker (JJ Abrams 2019)

Jay

4 hours ago, John said:

There were several long takes, especially towards the beginning of the film, and it's very refreshing to see those in a big modern blockbuster, as opposed to the constant cross-cutting in most action movies nowadays.

O, there are plenty of long-takes in blockbusters. Leastways, not in the Michael Bay-directed ones. Whedon had them in his two Avengers films. Peter Jackson had them. I seem to recall a couple of long-ish takes in Mad Max. Spielberg usually has a long-ish oner in each of his films. Hell, even Revenge of the Sith opens with a long-take, albeit one completely fabricated in a computer.

Its not like The Force Awakens' takes were that long (insert continuation of a Braveheart quote here). I believe the longest (going to Maz Canata) was about a minute, and that was CGI-assisted.

If that sounds like I'm complaining - I'm not. Its all too tempting to be "art-sy" ands have sequences play out in a single take, but it isn't necessarily warranted: the point of a good long-take is that its short enough that you don't notice it, and just take the film in all the more, and that was certainly true to me with The Force Awakens, unlike the stylized camerawork of The Last Jedi. They're just the right length.

I'm wondering if that style of photography will return in IX by virtue of the fact that it sort of lends itself more to the first film in a trilogy more than the third. Again, the point being to allow the audience to take the world of the film in. Its worth remembering that Abrams generally favors very lively camerawork.

I dunno.

15 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Makes me wonder if he'll go the long-take route like he did with The Force Awakens: it was wonderfully effective.

Murder on the Orient Express is a great film for that. It's magnificently shot and has plenty of continuous shots. The camera doesn't cut until most scenes are over. It's an extremely effective technique that keeps the movie flowing, instead of choppy and changing shots mashed together. My hopes are the same.

30 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

It's an extremely effective technique that keeps the movie flowing, instead of choppy and changing shots mashed together. My hopes are the same.

It really depends on how the frame is populated. A succesful long-take is one that the audience doesn't realize is a long take.

The Force Awakens strikes a very nice balance.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

The Force Awakens strikes a very nice balance.

Could've very easily cut this up into two shots, but the camera carries around the cockpit like never before. One of my favourite shots. Not too long, but not cutting in a place that most would.

A similar idea with Solo, a lovely shot that follows a Beckett maneuver.

7 weeks into production and, so far, very few leaks. Disney must be pretty pleased at how they've kept things under wraps.

That said, this has a bit of a KOTCS feel about it. No filming outside London thus fart, and their only location shooting has involved a grassy plain (on the outskirts of London) and a "forest" that's literally the park across the road from Pinewood Studios. Hopefully there's some more exotic locations up their sleeve, considering the last two Episodes filmed in Abu Dhabi, Iceland, Ireland, Bolivia and Croatia... 😕

5 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

?

KOTCS felt like the entire movie was filmed on a backlot, mostly because it was (other than the opening few scenes and some Hawaii stuff -- which was promptly smothered in CGI to not look like Hawaii). Which defeats the purpose of an Indiana Jones movie, because half the point is seeing what exotic globe-trotting locations Indy visits.

Similarly, we all know what a Star Wars movie looks like when it's mostly shot on a sound-stage (although at least he did some location work in Italy, China and Tunisia).

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

we all know what a Star Wars movie looks like when it's mostly shot on a sound-stage

If this film will have the same kind of production value as The Force Awakens, than I'm not worried. If it looks good - it looks good, no matter where it was shot.

I'd be much more worried about the story: final installments don't have the best track record.

I really doubt that'll happen. Just seems like a made up rumour with no weight behind it.

But hey, if it means getting 6 more hours of John Williams Star Wars music, I won't complain! Hard to believe he's written over 6 hours in the last ~3 years alone.

There's no reason why they can't wrap up the story in this film. To me it's more befitting that this sequel 'trilogy' should end as just that: a trilogy. The last two had no problems doing so...

I'm fairly optimistic for this film, I think it's easy, as it has been for the last eight months, to let the disappointing fan reactions get to me - and others - that this film is on troubled waters. 

I know Kennedy, Abrams etc. will all be working overtime to get it right, also working ol' Williams like a child in a third world sweat shop. 

I'm willing to give Abrams more credit and expect an original film. That doesn't mean I'm terribly optimistic, namely because of the fact that it is a concluding film, and those are unbelievably tricky to craft.

Ideally, yes.

But even with that aside, I actually think that its unrealistic to expect JJ Abrams to deliver a satisfying conclusion to the entirety of the series. Its just too much to ask for within the available timeframe. But even as just the conclusion of this trilogy, it'd be tricky.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Ideally, yes.

But even with that aside, I actually think that its unrealistic to expect JJ Abrams to deliver a satisfying conclusion to the entirety of the series. Its just too much to ask for within the available timeframe. But even as just the conclusion of this trilogy, it'd be tricky.

Why would you expect an absolute conclusions while they are going to make Star Wars films after Ep 9?

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why would you expect an absolute conclusions while they are going to make Star Wars films after Ep 9?

Because those films take place before the sequel trilogy and/or don't have anything to do with the Skywalkers. 

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

Well, I didn't think the sequel trilogy was really that necessary.

It isn't necessary. As it stands, its completely extraneous in the grand scheme of things.

That's not a slate against the quality of the films when viewed individually: they're good movies. But as part of what's supposed to be one large story? Completely redundant.

Return of the Jedi never offered a terribly good conclusion, but its a conclusion nonetheless.

On 9/16/2018 at 10:59 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

I like the Ewok barbecue forrest party!

You've never been to mynock roast on Ardennia. They're nuts!

On 9/16/2018 at 8:10 AM, Arpy said:

also working ol' Williams like a child in a third world sweat shop. 

And the best part is he still will make a masterpiece.

• 2 weeks later...

Would've thought what Luke did in TLJ was a pretty dramatic expression of Jedi powers. Doing something as obvious and blatant as Luke destroying a Star Destroyer with the Force is exactly the type of prequel-era cliche these films are meant to avoid. 

29 minutes ago, toothless said:

I'll caution you that the story is attributed to YouTuber Mike Zeroh, which automatically means that it's made up.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I'll caution you that the story is attributed to YouTuber Mike Zeroh, which automatically means that it's made up.

Mike Zeroh is an ejit. He's rather like the guy on YouTube, who says "I love Dr. Who, but...", and proceeds to trash everything about the new series, without ever having watched a single second of it. Avoid Mike Zeroh.