Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

Zimmer will have a lot of time to come up with ideas for the third film considering Denis probably won’t make this for another five years or so. I’m honestly so excited for this film. More than I was for the first two movies. The second Dune book is where the message of the series truly comes into view.

42 minutes ago, MaxMovieMan said:

The second Dune book is where the message of the series truly comes into view.

We'll see how he does. Right now I think the ending of part 2 kind of nerfed the impact of the second book. IMHO.

He definitely made the message more obvious. I think part of the reason it worked so well in the books is because it really is a complete heel-turn. You go from the heroic ending of the first book to the complete tragedy in the beginning of the second. Paul isn’t as twisted in the book as he is in the movie. Herbert essentially wrote Messiah to make the point he was trying to make clearer. He felt he didn’t do a good enough job. So that’s probably why Denis made it more obvious that Paul is turning into a sinister character. The third movie won’t have as much of the shock value that the books had I don’t think but I still believe that Denis really knows what he’s doing. He has a plan.

Legendary and WBD’s Dune Part Two earned another $17.6 million (-38%) despite losing its Imax and most of its PLF screens to the Ghostbusters sequel. Yeah, Dune 2 did fine this weekend (it has earned $124 million worldwide in Imax thus far, their eighth-biggest title ever), but once Godzilla X Kong arrives, that’s bad news for Legendary and WBD. Oh… wait…

Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi sequel has now doubled the $108 million lifetime cume of Dune and passed the $219 million total of Wonka. With another $31 million earned overseas, it has now earned $575 million worldwide. It should finish with over/under $680 million worldwide on a $190 million budget.

From Scott Mendelson's paid newsletter on Substack, but you can find the numbers here:

https://www.the-numbers.com/weekend-box-office-chart

Hey! Why aren't you tying these Fremen who are obviously based on Middle Eastern cultures more closely to their influences?

Well, you know at the end of the movie they wage a holy war across the known universe driven by a fanatical faith in a messiah and are the most feared slaughterers in the history of the universe?

Oh. So... Can we keep them just kind of generically "foreign / non-white"? Is that OK? That Zendaya lady, she could fit that, right?

“If the novel is so undeniably anchored in this place, why is it so unpalatable to employ MENA performers and creatives?”

Seems like a valid criticism to me.

19 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That, had they cast MENA actors, the same people would make the opposite criticism: "Look at how they hired MENA people only to put them in roles that ridicule Muslim religious fervour (Stilgar), demonise it (pretty much all the others), fetishize them and put a white saviour at their head."

That's a strawman. If the characters are properly represented in the film, but the material contains racist stereotypes, then the issue is with the materiel, not the film adapting it. That is what "they" would criticize. It would be an ignorant reviewer indeed who would lob accusations of the White Savior trope at a series so clearly criticizing it, but I don't argue with hypothetical "thems," and I see nothing in this article to disagree with.

On 27/03/2024 at 6:47 PM, Edmilson said:

Villeneuve's response to the "controversy": Whoops!

Warner's response: Whoopsie!

r/KotakuInAction - You can't win with these people: ‘Dune 2’ Criticized for Lack of Middle Eastern and North African Inclusion and Influences: ‘A Missed Opportunity’

My response: had they cast Middle Eastern and North African people for the desert dwellers, they'd have been accused of stereotypical racism.

Whoopsie

On 28/03/2024 at 3:46 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yup. Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

some days you don't know where the hamza goes in the word!

436224815-836133651704337-54837029750183

"David Lynch’s adaptation was disappointing. It was missing the power of Herbert’s novel. Villeneuve’s films are much more convincing. The characters are sketched out, they are very identifiable. It’s pure cinema. I speak regularly to Denis, filmmaker to filmmaker. We record our conversations, like Trufaut and Hitchcock." - James Cameron

5 hours ago, A24 said:

We record our conversations, like Trufaut and Hitchcock."

ROTFLMAO

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Who gives a single shit what some director, who was past his prime 17 years ago, thinks about anything?

DARK FATE, anyone?

You're just jealous because you never received a compliment from James Cameron :lol:

James Cameron past his prime?

Avatar and Avatar 2 are the biggest hits of his career!

He didn't direct Dark Fate.

He was the "inspiration" behind DF, he co-wrote the story, and he co-produced it.

He's just as guilty as the rest of them.

If box office is anything to go by, then, yes, he's still successful.

Artistically, though, he peaked with THE ABYSS.

I hated what they did to John Connor in Dark Fate. They really did him dirty on that movie, only to replace him with a bland character and a new renamed Skynet. And what the heck was that awful Terminator getting married and having kids or whatever?

Never finished that piece of crap, and never will. Screw this franchise. I'll act like T2 is the canon ending of the Terminator saga and everything that came later was a nightmare Sarah Connor had while they were hiding in Mexico.

I've never seen it, I meant I like all the films Cameron has directed

It is depressing that every single time anyone makes another Terminator movie, they ignore every sequel that came before it and do another direct sequel to T2, and that they are all bad films in different ways.  At least the Sarah Connor Chronicles TV series was decent, and the ending of T3 was kinda cool.  Salvation and Genisys though, yikes.

I kinda like Salvation more than T3 tbh. Salvation is flawed but I like that it at least tried to do something different. From T3 I love the truck chase, but aside from that that movie is crap.

Genisys is pure and complete dogshit.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I like all his movies.  Well, I never saw the Piranha one

PIRANHA 2: FLYING KILLERS is not at all bad, actually.

The female lead is a proto-Ripley, in both looks, and character.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I hated what they did to John Connor in Dark Fate. They really did him dirty on that movie...

Agreed.

Did they try to get Furlong back, for DF?

It would have been at least watchable, with him.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

... everything that came later was a nightmare Sarah Connor had while they were hiding in Mexico.

Wh... Where's Mexico?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

James Cameron past his prime?

Yeah, I'm not even really a fan of him, but I see no artistic slippage between Avatar and anything else he's made. The Abyss is probably his best movie, but I'm partial to The Terminator.

James Cameron wrote and produced Battle Angel Alita, which I like (and I didn't expect that). 

49 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Agreed.

Did they try to get Furlong back, for DF?

It would have been at least watchable, with him.

I remember reading they brought him back and de-aged him digitally to make him look like a teenager, but I'm not sure.

Ironically, The Way of Water is the opposite of Dune: While the latter is one of the rare occasions of Hollywood showing us, how devastating a victory can feel, the former goes full pro war à la 'to crush the enemy is the only solution to this'. Ideologically, these films are quite literally like water and fire (or let's say water and earth; Avatar and Oppenheimer are like water and fire).

15 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Ideologically, these films are quite literally like water and fire (or let's say water and earth; Avatar and Oppenheimer are like water and fire).

With Top Gun: Maverick representing the air!

filmes.jpg

36 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Ideologically, these films are quite literally like water and fire (or let's say water and earth; Avatar and Oppenheimer are like water and fire).

Well, Frank Herbert kind of took something of the tropes of Edgar Rice Burroughs (man comes to alien desert planet, befriend the local noble savages and leads them against a technologically-superior but tyrannical foe) and inverted them, and Cameron's films owe a lot of Burroughs.