Raiders of the Lost Ark VS Temple of Doom VS Last Crusade

Josh500

Raiders of the Lost Ark VS Temple of Doom VS Last Crusade VS Kingdom of the Crystal Skull   

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you like best?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  2. 2. Which movie do you like best?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

I'm probably in the minority, but I happen to think that "The Jungle Chase" from KOTCS (the complete version) is as good as the action setpieces from the original trilogy: Desert Chase, The Mine Cart Chase, and Belly of the Steel Beast. 

But the rest of the KOTCS score, unfortunately, falls way too short.

Crucify me, but I've always found Raiders a bit dull, both the movie and the score. I mainly consider it my own fault, I probably watched it way too late (I was 14 or 15 when I saw the entire movie for the first time), I already saw a ton of its copies and movies generally influenced by it, and none of its setpieces were new. Temple I consider a highly entertaining movie with a very different score, which I find myself listening to all the time. Crusade in my opinion is the best movie of the bunch, taking the Raiders formula and spicing it up with the father-son dynamic and the ultimate prize, the Holy Grail, and after finding it, dr. Jones has ended his career on a perfect high note, having no fourth adventure at all.

Temple of Doom is the only film score I know where I feel that every bar of music has something worthwhile about it, i.e. there's no "filler" material. I could listen to the C&C score all the way through and never get bored (and I have done so many times...). I think a part of the reason for this is the simple yet effective story structure, in addition to Williams' composing chops.

I like the film itself the most too. It's not that I hold anything against the others in the initial trilogy, I just really love the exotic setting. I won't jump on the "FOURTH?!?! WHAT FOURTH?!?!?!" bandwagon but I think few will disagree that it's the weakest, even though personally I love the score and think it's one of JW's best 21st century efforts.

Film: Raiders

Score: Temple

If I tried to rate them objectively I would say that the first and the third film are the better ones whereas the score of the second film is slightly more creative and powerful.

The best scene in Raiders (and the only one I remember besides the face melting stuff) is when

Spoiler

the monkey dies.

Score-wise, I play Temple of Doom the most often. 

Temple of Doom is a Top 5 Williams score! Since the plot of the film is very (maybe too) linear, it is not as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade, but it's incredibly entertaining and technically perfect!

RAIDERS/RAIDERS.

As good as it is, everything else is just diminishing returns.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Crucify me, but I've always found Raiders a bit dull, both the movie and the score. 

Hold your arms out, and I'll get some nails :)

Temple of Doom the score is breathtakingly good and entertaining, not to mention technically perfect.

Unfortunately, the movie ToD is arguably the weakest among the original trilogy. 

My favorite score is Raiders.

My favorite film constantly changes between the original three. As of right now I suppose I will say Raiders of the Lost Ark but ask me tomorrow and it could easily be either Temple of Doom or Last Crusade. 

The reason I chose Raiders for the score is the actual theme of the Ark of the Covenant. I absolutely adore it. It's rich and powerful and it gives me chills every time I hear it. 

I truly consider all 3 films 5star films, and all three scores 5star scores, so picking a favorite is not saying anything remotely bad about the others.

My favorite of the scores is Temple of Doom, its just so much fun from start to finish, I love its energy, its mood, and its themes.  The best relentless action extravaganza score.

My favorite of the films is Temple of Doom or Last Crusade.  I love Harrison's performance in TOD, I love Short Round, I love all the set pieces, its all so fun, and I love how they didn't come close to doing a Raiders clone, its a very different film.  But Last Crusade has the brilliant Ford/Connery interplay, and a kind of more interesting version of the beats of the Raiders storyline.  The only unfortunate thing about the film is the surprisingly sub-par special effects and blue screen work, I wish something could be done about that.

In Crusade, I like that they played around with love interest being a double crossing baddy who was cool as ice, but ultimately Elsa didn't do anything for me as a character.

You mean the scene where nonmetallic gunpowder flies through the air because it's magically attracted to an alien artifact, while the iron in their hemoglobin remains intact? 

I don't care if the headpiece to the Staff of Ra works on any given day of the year, instead of one or two specific times. 

I don't care if if you cannot rip some ones heart from through their ribcage with incantation. 

But there is no iron in sulfur, charcoal, and potassium nitrate. That's just stupid. 

I'm certainly not in the Crystal Skull defending business, that just doesn't bother me in the least.  I can tolerate a lot of scientific stupidity in movies, though.

I suppose it would make sense that aliens would exist in the Indiana Jones universe, as it takes place in the same dimension as Star Wars and E.T.

46 minutes ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

You mean the scene where nonmetallic gunpowder flies through the air because it's magically attracted to an alien artifact, while the iron in their hemoglobin remains intact? 

If this were a problem then MRI scanners wouldn't exist. :lol:

The music which plays during that scene is gorgeous, though. Highly atmospheric and other-wordly. And it sounds like a load of instruments just playing random notes but Williams' sketch for that cue is one of his most detailed sketches I've seen, with 16 staves and each instrument meticulously phrased and "explained". Shame that it didn't make it to the album.