Home Alone - 25th Anniversary 2CD Edition by La-La Land Records (2015)

Jay

I caved in and ordered this, otherwise John Williams might think I don't love him any more.

Damn you La La Land! Damn you all to hell!

:fouetaa:

It's a dangerous business Omen II going out your door, being a JWfan. If you don't keep your cool there is no telling where and to what kind of re-buying madness you might be swept off to.

Well I got my copy today. The presentation of course doesn't bring great surprises for a JW veteran who owns the previous releases but for a fan of Home Alone this is a definitive set (until the next one ;) ) with all the song material included. The music is joyful celebration of family, Christmas and home with dozes of Mickey Mousing humour thrown in for slapstick fun. The liner notes by Matessino are pretty much the same as for the previous LLL set with some small additions taking in consideration the added tracks (the new versions of the carols) and changes (like the move of the film version of the Clothsline Trapeze into the main programme of disc 1 with the original version on the OST presentation on disc 2). Curiously there is no commentary for the 2nd disc at all (apart from few mentions in the 1 disc track-by-track analysis) in the liner notes but I guess the OST is a rather self-explanatory addition after all.

Another interesting design choice is to have only the disc 1 programme in the back of the case, while disc 2 contents are listed inside the tray. Threw me off for a moment but again there were such extensive credits for various songs and their rights and such that there was no space for disc 2 info at the back. :P

While it may be the ultimate "bottle cap" this set will be playing a lot at my house during this and coming Christmases.

Thanks for the info! Is there a difference in sound quality to the old LLL cd.

Oh I am terrible at assessing such things unless there is a really noticeable change. Upon first listen I wouldn't say that there was a highly marked difference between the 2010 set and this one to my ears. And I have not listened to the OST album yet. Perhaps someone more audiophile among us could chime in on this.

I think the sound quality is significantly improved, and going back and finally getting the correct film takes of some things has revealed new things unreleased before. Inky, just listen to "Star Of Bethlehem" (on disc1) to see!

I think the sound quality is significantly improved, and going back and finally getting the correct film takes of some things has revealed new things unreleased before. Inky, just listen to "Star Of Bethlehem" (on disc1) to see!

Yes of course those added things like the synths and orchestral elements for Star of Bethlehem are noticeable and it is great to have the correct film takes but it was not THAT revelatory to my ears. And I think I heard small moments here and there I had not heard in the previous edition, orchestrational details etc.

BTW, I really enjoy the film version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas". I don't even mind that its in the middle of the score presentation!

BTW, I really enjoy the film version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas". I don't even mind that its in the middle of the score presentation!

Yeah me too. I guess it is pretty much drawn into my memory from watching the film and listening to the OST and it was nice to finally get the film version of the song. :)

Yea. I never noticed for a long while that the film version was a completely different recording than the album version.

I may not have even purchased this if it weren't for Jason's interview and the fact that I somehow I sold my original LLL album within hours of listing it on eBay, but he's right, it does sound a lot better. And the difference is much more than I would have guessed.

I may not have even purchased this if it weren't for Jason's interview and the fact that I somehow I sold my original LLL album within hours of listing it on eBay, but he's right, it does sound a lot better. And the difference is much more than I would have guessed.

Right. Good. Excellent. :)

The clarity on the new release is impressive. Must more separation in the instrumentation. Really enjoying this.

Off topic, but it's the same with Dances With Wolves -- the sound is wonderful!

Perhaps I've just forgotten -- Did Mike or anyone at LLL ever give an indication as to why the 2 songs that opened the previous album have been moved to the bonus section? I liked that program and the way it mirrored their presentation of the sequel score.

It's in my interview with Mike on the main page. Basically, he would have put the songs first again, but Williams asked him to move them.

It's funny, now we have two expansions of each score, one each with the songs first and the songs after.

Okay, I remember that vaguely now. I wonder what Williams thought of the concert suites that open/close discs on the Superman Blue Box and the RCA Star Wars sets.

Oh dear, oh dear. Now they have to redo Home Alone 2 to match this new release. ;)

Karol

Yes the complementary edition which doesn't have anything new except a new cover. ;)

And we are the suckers who would buy it.

Received my copy today and thought I'd give some quick thoughts.

• Yes, sound quality is improved upon compared to the previous release, but the last release was pretty good sounding so that'll tell you that the improvement isn't earth shattering.
  • The fact that the presentation of the score on disc 1 begins with the "Main Title" rather than "Somewhere In My Memory" is a good thing.
  • It's fun to have "Star Of Bethlehem (Film Version)" just to have the complete score and a full set of alternates, but the OST version is superior.

Lastly, I'm really liking this new trend with including the OST in remastered form. Hopefully it's a trend that'll last! :)

Received my copy today and thought I'd give some quick thoughts.

• The fact that the presentation of the score on disc 1 begins with the "Main Title" rather than "Somewhere In My Memory" is a good thing.

I disagree, but rearranging everything for my smartphone took less than a minute, so it's not a big deal for me.

Lastly, I'm really liking this new trend with including the OST in remastered form. Hopefully it's a trend that'll last! :)

That's not a new trend at all as the labels have done it for several years now. You just don't see it all the time because it makes more sense for some scores than others. Works pretty well for Home Alone though, doesn't it? :D

Listened to the new set last night. I'm not that into this score so I can hear the difference. But I like the fact all the songs are now present. Say what you want. they are important to this film.

Anyway, it is the only set that arrived with a badly broken case. I e-mailed LLL to ask if they know where I could get the type of cases they're using... and they just sent me a replacement one. How nice of them!

Karol

Listened to the new set last night. I'm not that into this score so I can hear the difference. But I like the fact all the songs are now present. Say what you want. they are important to this film.

Anyway, it is the only set that arrived with a badly broken case. I e-mailed LLL to ask if they know where I could get the type of cases they're using... and they just sent me a replacement one. How nice of them!

Karol

The same thing happened with my copy, though I just put some tape on the part that was broken. No big deal. Their service is exceptional.

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to this while I was scraping and caulking our bathroom over the weekend.  The sound quality really is something special, and I enjoyed the block of Christmas tunes at the end of disc 1 - I wasn't expecting that, a really nicely put together 20-minute carol sing at the end.

(I also listened to Jaws, and it's like I'd never heard the score before. Amazing music.  Such a marked improvement on a score that previously I would have told you, "It's not my favorite and I'm happy with the Decca").

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Mondo Records will release the original album on vinyl next month.

http://mondotees.com/products/home-alone-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp?variant=12080276739

• 10 months later...

Back in stock!

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/HomeAlone25.html

I should probably get this soon. I got the OST for Christmas last year, but I have never listened to more than a few tracks, outside of the film which I have seen several times. I love the score however, and it seems that at some point I'll want to listen to the complete version of every Williams score so I may as well not waste time listening to the OST -- I should just start right in on the complete. 

37 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I will admit I'm known to listen to both HA and HA2 soundtrack any time of year....

Why not? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any CUE sheets for the two first "Home Alone"?

EDIT: I just find this.

http://chrono-score.blogspot.ca/2011/01/home-alone.html

http://chrono-score.blogspot.ca/2012/12/home-alone-2-lost-in-new-york.html

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, good stuff.  There's some further reading for you here:

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=8269

I didn't read the liner notes at the time I bought the two HA CDs... but I remember having read your great interview!