The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

The new title possibly refers to a storyline as written by MacCoy in Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx. It features a crystal skull.

As i mentioned, the crystal skull first appeared in 'IJ & Philosopher's Stone'. Now that you mention it in the other book, it could be a recurring artifact in the McCoy novels. (Like the diamond from TOD (eye of the peacock?) in the Young indy chronicles.)

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huh? The Holy Grail is the greatest, most well-known and overused medieval legend of them all!!

Well, luckily I wasn't born/didn't lived in the period Jesus is supposed to have lived, so I can't know wheter that object (or the Bible or anything related to the Christianity) really existed. So yes, it could be a legend. Or it could have existed. Nobody will know the truth.

But I lived, live and will live greatly anyway.

At the end of the day, the object which Indy is attempting to rescue/steal/recover/whatever isn't important. It's the journey along the way; that was always the most common denominator between the three in the trilogy. The relationships he builds or mends through the movie are what he realises were the real prize in the end and not stalling the Nazis or receiving fortune and glory. It's a metaphor for the Grail journey taken by thousands - though the reference became a lot less subtle when they made a whole movie about the Grail and repeatedly bashed this point over our heads. So what I'm saying is that it really shouldn't matter what it is that Indy's looking for. It's obvious already that the important thing will be what happens along the way. And if that does not turn out to be the focus of the film it won't be a true Indiana Jones film.

I kind of agree. The "thing" Indy is looking for throughout the Last Crusade is his dad and their pretty much lost relationship.

Which led to wonderful love themes mixed with great action scenes!

Incidentally, this link suggests that the Crystal Skulls have some basis in mythology.

It's doesn't sound that interesting, unless they make these skulls to have really cool powers.

And if Atlantis will be involved in the story it would totally kick ass to hear parts of the wonderful score of the Fate of Atlantis videogame.

We'll never have a Fate of Atlantis movie but at least we could have a bit of that historical score.

Do they actually need any?

No, as I said before they're not forced, I just pointed out that it would be funny.

I think it would be also funny (even if contrast what you said in your last part of your post) to see a short "remake" of another scene

of one of the previsious movies, with Indy that suddently finds himself in an identical situation he lived years before. Just a scene of a couple of minutes (again, referenced to JW's self-parodies), but I don't think it will happen.

could you imagine the instrumentation for an Atlantis-esque score??or... "The Skull Theme"Somehow I imagine something sounding similar to the mysterious moments from Jurassic Park...and if that Happends... than MAYBE...just MAYBE... Williams will do JP..He doesn't like to return to old sounds, but if this is a new twist on an old sound (obviously since it's Indiana Jones) and it it does go into the JP direction...hmMMmm!with JP4 right after this...hmmmMmmmm
Good point! We might see the same effect as in 1990-1993 period, where Home Alone inspired Hook and finally resulted in a fantastic Jurassic Park score. The new title possibly refers to a storyline as written by MacCoy in Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx. It features a crystal skull.Btw KotCS doesn't read so nicely in Dutch, where 'kots' means 'vomit' ;-)
Home Alone (or Hook) didn't inspire Jurassic Park. :blink:
Yes they did :o
The new title possibly refers to a storyline as written by MacCoy in Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx. It features a crystal skull.
As i mentioned, the crystal skull first appeared in 'IJ & Philosopher's Stone'. Now that you mention it in the other book, it could be a recurring artifact in the McCoy novels. (Like the diamond from TOD (eye of the peacock?) in the Young indy chronicles.)
That sounds like a possibility, although in Secret of the Sphinx it is revealed from whom the skull is (not a very important pseron). But apparantly McCoy likes the crystal skull as a concept.

could you imagine the instrumentation for an Atlantis-esque score??or... "The Skull Theme"Somehow I imagine something sounding similar to the mysterious moments from Jurassic Park...and if that Happends... than MAYBE...just MAYBE... Williams will do JP..He doesn't like to return to old sounds, but if this is a new twist on an old sound (obviously since it's Indiana Jones) and it it does go into the JP direction...hmMMmm!with JP4 right after this...hmmmMmmmm
Good point! We might see the same effect as in 1990-1993 period, where Home Alone inspired Hook and finally resulted in a fantastic Jurassic Park score. The new title possibly refers to a storyline as written by MacCoy in Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx. It features a crystal skull.Btw KotCS doesn't read so nicely in Dutch, where 'kots' means 'vomit' ;-)
Yes they did :o

Why are you persisting that something as vague and open to interpretation as "a score inspired a later score" is fact? At least discuss the subject a little; don't just give a condescending "I'm right."

Agreed, I'm interested to know where MSM is coming from with this, as I don't hear any significant connection between the Home Alone/Hook sound and Jurassic Park.

Ray Barnsbury

Agreed, I'm interested to know where MSM is coming from with this, as I don't hear any significant connection between the Home Alone/Hook sound and Jurassic Park.

Ray Barnsbury

I know he's not right, but I'd like to know why he thinks he is. :blink:

Yes they did :)

Why are you persisting that something as vague and open to interpretation as "a score inspired a later score" is fact? At least discuss the subject a little; don't just give a condescending "I'm right."

Alright, but your comment did sound a little bit too selfconscious as well.

Home Alone has a lot of brass based orchestrations like in Arrival to New York, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Hook has them (Flight to Neverland, The Ultimate War, The Banquet) and finally JP has them (End Credits). There is the twinkling Christmas like sound in Hook and Home Alone (Home Alone Main Title, The Arrival of Tink, Farewell Neverland) that can be found in JP (Petticoat Lane, A Tree for My bed). The richness of the themes is similar in the three scores. There are many more examples at defined places in the scores that show the coherence in style.

Overall the orchestrations in Home Alone, Hook and Jurassic Park are similar, with a lot of rich brass writing, a profound bass part (often doubled in contrabass and tuba/bass trombone), elaborate counterpoint in the high strings and the use of a coloring choir. I dare to state that John Neufeld's trademark orchestrations style can be heard in these three scores, who I believe is allowed by Williams to have more input than his other orchestrators usually have. Listen to The Santa Claus score by Convertino which is orchestrated by Neufeld in the same time period and hear how it has the same sound as the three Williams scores, it's ashtonishing. The writing is identical.

According to this, another 10+ Williams scores are inspired by Home Alone and Hook. In case you didn't know, some of John's biggest musical traits are heavy brass, high strings, and use of choirs. It is no where near identical.

According to this, another 10+ Williams scores are inspired by Home Alone and Hook. In case you didn't know, some of John's biggest musical traits are heavy brass, high strings, and use of choirs. It is no where near identical.

In case you don't appreciate my statements, just don't reply in the future.

wow.. .what interesting talks lol...

I agree with MSM on some grounds. I just finished my Complete Home Alone edit and there are quite a few moments that remind of Hook... "The Arrival of Tink" for example has many simarities with some cues.

Also, the whole opening to "End Credits" is heard in Hook, but the introduction to Captain Hook is almost a direct lift from a moment in Home Alone.

There are also some very Star Wars Episode I moments.

Personally, I think Jurassic Park, like War of the Worlds, is a stand alone score. One that shows hints of scores that had come before it, but is so unique and fresh that it is a surprise when listening.

I hope that this score is similar to that. I do imagine it will have a great deal of Indiana Jones sound... but look at star wars episode I. It went a completely different direction from the original trilogy...

Perhaps something similar will occur... I do wonder, however, what the atlantis williams sounds will be like.

wow.. .what interesting talks lol...

I agree with MSM on some grounds. I just finished my Complete Home Alone edit and there are quite a few moments that remind of Hook... "The Arrival of Tink" for example has many simarities with some cues.

Also, the whole opening to "End Credits" is heard in Hook, but the introduction to Captain Hook is almost a direct lift from a moment in Home Alone.

There are also some very Star Wars Episode I moments.

Personally, I think Jurassic Park, like War of the Worlds, is a stand alone score. One that shows hints of scores that had come before it, but is so unique and fresh that it is a surprise when listening.

I hope that this score is similar to that. I do imagine it will have a great deal of Indiana Jones sound... but look at star wars episode I. It went a completely different direction from the original trilogy...

Perhaps something similar will occur... I do wonder, however, what the atlantis williams sounds will be like.

Is it for sure the movie will involve Atlantis?

one could argue it's not... but with the way they are hiding things and revealing them to get people interested... something tells me that there is more to this than meets the eye.

We heard it was coming... then we saw short clips... then we heard that Marian was gonna be in it... then we hear that its called the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull...

something tells me that there is still more... and if you follow that through to conclusion, I think it would be a safe bet it has to do with Atlantis...

Even if not, I'd still like to hear his take on Atlantis lol

I don't mind the title. I rather like it, actually. I honestly think that no matter what the title was going to be that there would be some uproar from fans. There always is. Nothing seems to be good enough for some people, supposedly the most "devoted" fans of a film franchise. All of the Indiana Jones titles are rather campy; this one is just longer and more fantasy-sounding, with words like "kingdom" and "crystal" in it. I'm looking forward to the film. I think Spielberg will deliver the goods and is intent on making a good adventure film. It will likely be one of his last, so I think he's being very careful with it.

Ted

Now for something more controversial: the Indy 4 score will be better than Lord of the Rings! Discuss.

I hope so, but I doubt it'll be released on 10 CDs and have a book devoted to it.

I'm foaming at the mouth at the prospect of Williams' new music for perhaps the skulls, pryamid, or Atlantis if that's where the story goes. The Ark Theme, The Grail Knight Theme, and crsytal motive from Superman come to mind as pieces that illicite the same kind of feeling that may be called for in Indy 4. Wow, what prospects!

Nein! I are not German. I are Italien! Germany is only where something great happened last year, but that's history, that's the past. This is the thread of the future, the thread of Indy IV!

Man, can you believe we're going to have another Indiana Jones movie and score? Yeah man, I mean, that's great!! :thumbsup:

Now for something more controversial: the Indy 4 score will be better than Lord of the Rings! Discuss.

The only CD I'm looking forward to more than ROTK CR is Indy 4. IT WILL BE BETTER, BET ON IT!

The score will be better than the Lotr movies themeselves?

That's a bold statement ;)

TGE - Upping his post count more and more each day.

Almost every John Williams score is better than those movies. Not that they're bad, but JW music is so good compared to a Peter Jackson drama.

How about this. Indy 4, the movie and score, will both be better than either the movie or score for LOTR.

Umm...I think it'd be fun if Williams wrote an old-fashioned adventure score for Indy 4.

Ray Barnsbury

Thank you!

Supposition beyond this really doesn't go anywhere.

who thinks Indy 4 will get an Oscar nomination or win for score?

A nomination only if it's Williams only score next year, and even that's dubious with it being a sequel score. No chance for a win.

I can't wait for the time when I can log on to the jwfan forum, and see a poll titled: "Rate Indiana Jones And The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." Then, I will have died and gone to heaven.

Star Wars.com is even showing it off... My guess is they wanted him to leak it... if they had these t-shirts ready to be sold the next day... you know?

And the site name and everything already prepped...

http://starwars.com/community/news/films/news20070910.html

just bought a t-shirt...can't wait!

A nomination only if it's Williams only score next year, and even that's dubious with it being a sequel score. No chance for a win.

Sad but true, John. Sad but true.

I obviously hope you'll turned out to be wrong, yet in the meantime I know you'll be right. ;)

I had to remove this from my sig due to height requirements ... so here's a post with the original image.

We should make T-shirts out of this. Or maybe I should just put it on the back of my Han Shot First shirt.

indywhippedfirstji6.gif

I have just removed more than a page of thread-derailment from this thread from several posters, including religious and political discussion.

Please be aware such topics are NOT ALLOWED on JWFan.

I apologize to you all for not removing this earlier.

Thank you,

- Marc

I think it's possible it could get a nomination or even a win. After all, it is Indiana Jones.

Has Indy ever won an Oscar? For anything?

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Best Art Direction-Set Decoration

Norman Reynolds

Leslie Dilley

Michael Ford

Best Effects, Visual Effects

Richard Edlund

Kit West

Bruce Nicholson

Joe Johnston

Best Film Editing

Michael Kahn

Best Sound

Bill Varney

Steve Maslow

Gregg Landaker

Roy Charman

--> It should have also won Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor (crazy thing is Harrison Ford wasn't even nominated :lol: )

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Dennis Muren

Michael J. McAlister

Lorne Peterson

George Gibbs

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing

Ben Burtt

Richard Hymns

-Erik-

take with a grain of salt

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I got a tip-off earlier today (from someone who should know) with some info on when to expect the INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL trailer. Take it as a big rumor, but it looks like it'll hit with BEOWULF, which comes out in November. Sure, that's a pretty obvious target... it's a big Paramount movie and Lucas dropped a hint earlier in the year saying the first trailer would hit around Thanksgiving... but rumor also has it that John Williams is currently working on the music for the trailer... New John Williams INDIANA JONES music... or a new arrangement of old John Williams INDIANA JONES music... either way, I'm getting giddy as a schoolboy just thinking about it.

Has Indy ever won an Oscar? For anything?

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Best Art Direction-Set Decoration

Norman Reynolds

Leslie Dilley

Michael Ford

Richard Edlund

Kit West

Bruce Nicholson

Joe Johnston

Best Film Editing

Michael Kahn

Best Sound

Bill Varney

Steve Maslow

Gregg Landaker

Roy Charman

--> It should have also won Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor (crazy thing is Harrison Ford wasn't even nominated :lol: )

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Dennis Muren

Michael J. McAlister

Lorne Peterson

George Gibbs

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing

Ben Burtt

Richard Hymns

-Erik-

OK, not a bad collection. Guess a couple of effects and sound ones were pretty predictable.

John- who hopes that AICN report is true

take with a grain of salt
Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I got a tip-off earlier today (from someone who should know) with some info on when to expect the INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL trailer. Take it as a big rumor, but it looks like it'll hit with BEOWULF, which comes out in November. Sure, that's a pretty obvious target... it's a big Paramount movie and Lucas dropped a hint earlier in the year saying the first trailer would hit around Thanksgiving... but rumor also has it that John Williams is currently working on the music for the trailer... New John Williams INDIANA JONES music... or a new arrangement of old John Williams INDIANA JONES music... either way, I'm getting giddy as a schoolboy just thinking about it.

I predict the trailer will begin how all trailer do nowadays. There will be a big climactic score, similiar to that heard in At World's End Trailer. Then there will be a pause, and the screen will go all black. And that's when the Raiders March will begin, accompanied by clips of the film, as well as the titles: "Harrison Ford," "George Lucas" "A Steven Spielberg Film," "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

In this forumula, they will get the fans' adrenaline running, as well as reminding them back to this fabulous trilogy.

I was fascinated when I watched the trailers for the Indy movies on the bonus features disc. I realized that at the time that LC came out, they still didn't quite have trailers in that polished form that they have now. It would be interesting if they went a little more for that old-school trailer feel in the way that the previous films had.

According to the report from the NYPhil rehearsal by vincehardy, JW said to the audience he'll start scoring Indy IV in two weeks, but the movie is still shooting until mid-October. So, it's very likely he'll start writing an original piece for the teaser trailer.