The Pixar Thread

Koray Savas

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Will Giacchino score it?

And most important: when will they announce John Powell as the composer of Elio? :wub:

I feel like people have been speculating Powell for a Pixar for more than a decade but it still hasn't happened.  I'm thinking maybe it's a Disney vs. DreamWorks type loyalty thing where they don't want to hire the guy from the other team

2 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Jackman has written scores for both studios

Monsters Vs. Aliens & Puss In Boots for DreamWorks

Big Hero 6, Wreck-It Ralph, Winnie The Pooh & Strange World for Disney

Powell also scored Shrek though, which might make him persona non grata at Disney 

11 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Big Hero 6, Wreck-It Ralph, Winnie The Pooh & Strange World for Disney

Sure but those are from Disney Animation Studios, not Pixar Studios (which is owned by Disney now but wasn't always)

Powell scored Bolt for Disney Animation Studios back in 2008 after he had already done Antz, El Dorado, Chicken Run, Shrek, and Kung Fu Panda for Dreamworks Animation (and Robots, Ice Age 2, and Horton for Blue Sky Studios)

13 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I feel like people have been speculating Powell for a Pixar for more than a decade but it still hasn't happened.  I'm thinking maybe it's a Disney vs. DreamWorks type loyalty thing where they don't want to hire the guy from the other team

Pixar hired Djawadi for "Win or Lose" - if that counts.

And Batu Sener did the Ice Age spinoff for Disney+, which means they kept their relationship with 5 Cat Studios even after Ice Age became a Disney franchise.

I know the chances are slim, but I have hope that Powell will work for Pixar one day.

There-is-still-hope GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Will Giacchino score it?

And most important: when will they announce John Powell as the composer of Elio? :wub:

Occasionally I puruse IMDB music credits before composers are announced for hints, and some of the Inside Out 2 music team are frequent Mark Mothersbaugh collaborators 👀

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For the score, they can keep the temp wherever it consists of music from the previous 4 Toy Story films (approx. 70%), and then use Randy Newman AI to come up with the remaining 30% of “new” music required (closely resembling music from his other non-Toy Story scores).

Just kidding of course. I freaking love Randy’s music, especially for the first 2 Toy Stories, but large sections of the 3rd and especially 4th film are clearly the man yielding to the temp battle and simply re-recording music from the earlier films (and fair enough, given his age and health). 

One thing’s for sure: I would never choose Giacchino to score this next Toy Story film. He has a 3/3 track record of entirely ignoring Newman’s established themes and coming up with his own simplistic and forgettable ideas (Cars 2, Toy Story of Terror, Lightyear). It’s strange that these are some of Gia’s weakest efforts, given that 3 of his best ever scores (The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up) are also from Pixar!

Maybe it’s time to give Don Davis a shot at scoring a Pixar film?

1 minute ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I feel Joel McNeely could also be a great choice, should Newman not be able to do it.

It's far fetched, but would be awesome

Actually, I'd pick him over John Powell if only because he deserves the recognition (plus he'd do a brilliant job obviously).

I dunno, I feel like a fifth Toy Story is a very lazy choice. Sure, Disney may be demanding more sequels considering their originals are all underperforming (Strange World, Wish, etc), but why not, I dunno, Finding Nemo 3? The Incredibles 3? Brave 2? Coco 2? A sequel to Monsters Inc?

Heck, why not A Bug's Life 2? The first one was 25 years ago and is wonderful!

Toy Story is a very tired franchise that already got two epilogues. But I guess Disney saw how much money TS 3 and 4 made at the box office and see it as an easy bet in a time of desperation.

They’re digging out right now, so it’s not a big surprise from me that they’re focusing on known moneymakers and theatrical (as they realize as much as Netflix, etc are that streaming and funding a ton of new content for streaming is going to meet a pretty firm ceiling - likely the reason they converted a D+ series into a Moana sequel).

29 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I dunno, I feel like a fifth Toy Story is a very lazy choice. Sure, Disney may be demanding more sequels considering their originals are all underperforming (Strange World, Wish, etc), but why not, I dunno, Finding Nemo 3? The Incredibles 3? Brave 2? Coco 2? A sequel to Monsters Inc?

Toy Story is a very tired franchise that already got two epilogues. But I guess Disney saw how much money TS 3 and 4 made at the box office and see it as an easy bet in a time of desperation.

It does feel lazy and I'm of the same mind that the original Toy Story trilogy was a near perfect run (not even falling foul of having a disappointing second sequel like so many trilogies before it) and, while the fourth was fine, it definitely felt unnecessary. Perhaps it's just how we experience these things, but Toy Stories 4 and 5 (and whatever beyond) will probably always feel like appendages to the original in the same way Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny feel to the original Indy trilogy.

I don't know if anyone here as been to the Disney 100 exhibition in London or wherever else it's been/going. The whole original ethos of the company and Walt himself of honouring traditions while looking to the future seems painfully hollow when you look at what Disney actually produce now. Sure, Walt knew how to make things that were popular but also seemed happy to experiment - projects like Snow White or Disneyland were huge risks that paid off. Sure not all did, but at least they tried. They don't call them imagineers (pass me a bucket...) for nothing. What are they even imagineering today?!

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Heck, why not A Bug's Life 2? The first one was 25 years ago and is wonderful!

Well Return of the Magnificent Seven has yet to be remade with insects so yeah... why not?! 

16 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Perhaps it's just how we experience these things, but Toy Stories 4 and 5 (and whatever beyond) will probably always feel like appendages to the original in the same way Crystal Skull and Dial of Destiny feel to the original Indy trilogy.

Exactly. I really liked TS 4, it was better than I expected, but yeah, it was rather unnecessary. Still, it (and part 3) made a billion dollars at the box office and I imagine Disney right now is looking for the easiest bets possible to make more money.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Exactly. I really liked TS 4, it was better than I expected, but yeah, it was rather unnecessary. Still, it (and part 3) made a billion dollars at the box office and I imagine Disney right now is looking for the easiest bets possible to make more money.

Pretty much. Or things that are a tax write off (cough... Willow TV show... cough) that they can pretend never happened. So the plot of The Producers only less funny.

The thing is, Toy Story 4 while totally unnecessary was still better than The Incredibles 2.

I still haven't seen Elemental or Luca. (The Fam tells me Elemental is great.) But I loved Soul. My daughter LOVED Turning Red. As has almost always been the case Pixar is always better when doing new things.

10 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The thing is, Toy Story 4 while totally unnecessary was still better than The Incredibles 2.

I quite enjoyed The Incredibles 2 and it feels like the sort of universe which could have plenty of stories as the kids get older and the world of superheroes evolves. Almost a shame they decided to pick straight up after the first one as teenage superheroes would have been an interesting new dynamic. That said, seen both only once and not in a while.

12 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I still haven't seen Elemental or Luca. (The Fam tells me Elemental is great.) But I loved Soul. My daughter LOVED Turning Red. As has almost always been the case Pixar is always better when doing new things.

Not seen Elemental, but Luca is lovely. Very low key and whimsical, although I'm always a sucker for movies set in semi-mythical Italian coastal villages. Turning Red was great too. Although I'd have to say that I didn't think either had especially strong scores. Luca was fine enough, but I kept wishing John Powell had scored it (and now wish Joel McNeely had scored it).

• 2 weeks later...

People who can edit IMDB listings are having fun with Inside Out 2

Music Department 

Tim Davies ... conductor/lead orchestrator
Bobs Gannaway ... original song and themes by
Wataru Hokoyama ... composer: additional music
Tommy Laurence ... Orchestrator
Geoff Lawson ... Orchestrator
Jeremy Levy ... Orchestrator
Alan Menken ... conductor
Michael Rubin ... original song and themes by
Peter Seibert ... composer: additional music
Michael Turner ... executive music producer
Matt Walker ... executive music producer

I wonder when we'll finally find out who is scoring this thing?

I would speculate if it is, there'd be no reason why that hasn't been announced yet.

It could be Mick Giacchino & Curtis Green using his themes, but even that I'd think would have been announced by now.

But who knows

• 1 month later...
On 07/02/2024 at 7:51 PM, Jay said:

Official release date: June 19, 2026.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/disney-star-wars-movie-mandalorian-and-grogu-toy-story-5-live-action-moana-tron-ares-release-dates-1235961998/

So it'll be almost exactly 7 years after Toy Story 4 (June 21, 2019) and 16 years (!!!) after Toy Story 3 (June 18, 2010).

• 4 weeks later...

Giacchino confirmed on his Insta story yesterday that he is not scoring Inside Out 2 and has passed it on to a composer named Andrea Datzman who has worked with him before.

Didn't think IF would take up that much of his time. Unless the rumors are true and Ray Gunn and Klara & the Sun come out this year and he has no time for Inside Out 2. Or he wasn't interested in a sequel idk.

26 minutes ago, Courtney Sees Ghosts said:

Giacchino confirmed on his Insta story yesterday that he is not scoring Inside Out 2 and has passed it on to a composer named Andrea Datzman who has worked with him before.

Hate to be that guy but you missed this news almost two months ago

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36792-andrea-datzman’s-inside-out-2-2024/

Datzman is Giacchino's wife